What's new

[Aug 6, 2016] VSFighting 2016 (Birmingham, UK)

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
That seems like a really odd choice considering it's not really applied anywhere else, that hurts counterpickers a bit.
From memory the rules is how @JustinXavier21 felt it should be considering the design choice of variations in MKX. It is odd but no one complained about it last year or this year so far so I guess we will see how it goes.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
From memory the rules is how @JustinXavier21 felt it should be considering the design choice of variations in MKX. It is odd but no one complained about it last year or this year so far so I guess we will see how it goes.
That just favours the winner though, there'd be no point in counterpicking if the winner of the last game is just going to counterpick your counterpick. I'm hoping noone realises it's a rule and they don't change variations if I change character lol

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Hmmm interesting

So I can play Alist against someone Sonya and if they switch too GM I can switch too SD?

Youphemism

Hmmm interesting

So I can play Alist against someone Sonya and if they switch too GM I can switch too SD?
Yup. This sucks for someone like me who likes to play multiple characters, if I lose and want to switch I'm just going to get counterpicked as well nullifying the point of changing characters. This just gives the advantage to the person already winning if anything.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Yup. This sucks for someone like me who likes to play multiple characters, if I lose and want to switch I'm just going to get counterpicked as well nullifying the point of changing characters. This just gives the advantage to the person already winning if anything.
Honestly I would do it though but doesn't mean I can't

CabooseLeGoose

Le Scoop
Hide your cursor, man. Mind games.

GOOD DRAGON

Awesometacular
That just favours the winner though, there'd be no point in counterpicking if the winner of the last game is just going to counterpick your counterpick. I'm hoping noone realises it's a rule and they don't change variations if I change character lol
it's dishonourable to counter-pick. In japan you have to cut off your little finger after the match and offer it to your opponent as an apology. Maybe we should take a leaf out of their book?

On a serious note tho don't you think it's cheap to counter pick? you make it sound like that's your ace up your sleeve tech- You can't win a 5-5 match up for example because your getting out played so you pick a winning match up in your favour? So its your characters advantages that wins not your skills - and doesn't that just perpetuate a culture of - 'screw fair' im just gonna counter pick? Cough alien, evo finals cough cough

Youphemism

it's dishonourable to counter-pick. In japan you have to cut off your little finger after the match and offer it to your opponent as an apology. Maybe we should take a leaf out of their book?

On a serious note tho don't you think it's cheap to counter pick? you make it sound like that's your ace up your sleeve tech- You can't win a 5-5 match up for example because your getting out played so you pick a winning match up in your favour? So its your characters advantages that wins not your skills - and doesn't that just perpetuate a culture of - 'screw fair' im just gonna counter pick? Cough alien, evo finals cough cough
Lol counterpicking is as "dishonourable" as tier whoring but I don't see you complaining about them.

No it's not cheap, if anything I think it shows you have a good knowledge/understanding of the game. I don't make it sound like anything, you're just making an assumption there about it being an "ace up your sleeve tech". If I'm playing a 5-5 matchup then I'd probably play it out but if it's a losing matchup why would I continue playing a losing matchup when I know there's a better option? Sometimes outplaying isn't enough, everyone guesses wrong on 50/50s sometimes. A character having certain advantages over another character doesn't mean it's an automatic win, you still have to outplay your opponent in the matchup and play the matchup correctly to win. People in this community play to win, not everyone is going to stick with one character all the time in a game with 100 variations.

GOOD DRAGON

Awesometacular
Lol counterpicking is as "dishonourable" as tier whoring but I don't see you complaining about them.

No it's not cheap, if anything I think it shows you have a good knowledge/understanding of the game. I don't make it sound like anything, you're just making an assumption there about it being an "ace up your sleeve tech". If I'm playing a 5-5 matchup then I'd probably play it out but if it's a losing matchup why would I continue playing a losing matchup when I know there's a better option? Sometimes outplaying isn't enough, everyone guesses wrong on 50/50s sometimes. A character having certain advantages over another character doesn't mean it's an automatic win, you still have to outplay your opponent in the matchup and play the matchup correctly to win. People in this community play to win, not everyone is going to stick with one character all the time in a game with 100 variations.
Don't even get me started on tier whoring and the typical (i don't have a main because ill play who ever is top tier or broken right now until they get nerfed then on to the next ridiculous character). Come on you can make anything sound good and justifiable by that logic. Lol you say you don't make it sound like anything and im assuming well this is what triggered my assumption "I'm hoping noone realises it's a rule and they don't change variations if I change character lol" I play for fun im not gonna grand master blood gods just because i need to win so bad lol

Youphemism

Don't even get me started on tier whoring and the typical (i don't have a main because ill play who ever is top tier or broken right now until they get nerfed then on to the next ridiculous character). Come on you can make anything sound good and justifiable by that logic. Lol you say you don't make it sound like anything and im assuming well this is what triggered my assumption "I'm hoping noone realises it's a rule and they don't change variations if I change character lol" I play for fun im not gonna grand master blood gods just because i need to win so bad lol
I play for fun too, that's why I play so many variations. It helps me enjoy the game more and get the most out of my experience (and money ;)), but I'm also a competitor and want to win just as much as the rest of them so "fun" only takes you so far in competition. In competition you try your best to win, in casuals you can play who you want for fun.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
@PND_Ketchup @PND_Mustard Dose ANYONE know if there is a stream for this event? I can not find anything on the website and I have asked like 5 times in this thread with no response.

GOOD DRAGON

Awesometacular
When there's money on the line why wouldn't you play to win? Tournament sets are not the place for morals.
I was speaking in general in my last post people who will counter pick just to win in casuals because they have to win that bad. But not in terms of tournament scene. Ofcourse when there's money on the line you should play to win. But you should always keep your morals in tact no matter where otherwise sabotaging your opponents controller as an extreme example becomes justifiable under your "no place for morals" statement.