What's new

General/Other - Kotal Kahn Attn Kotal Players

Can someone help me out with this character? I'm getting wrecked Agaisnt this character bad and would like to learn the match up in depth.

I use all variations of Johnny Cage.

*keep in mind I've been away from the game for like 7 months because of a marvel heroes binge so I might be kind of laughable right now so bear with me lol.

PSN: RodneyQuillz
XB1; Rodney Quillz

derOeler

Death comes to all!
Pressure and Zone kotal like Johnny is designed to. Abuse D4 and then F2 into Combo.
Play Stuntdouble and zone him with mimics. Bait or break Overhead sword with 12(11)
Respect Kotals advancing strings and plus frames.
Don´t try to backdash too often. Kotal is designed to counter them easily.
Don´t challenge him in the air. JCs NJP is godlike though.

Wigy

There it is...
JC should never hit you with a projectile, you can d4 under everything on reaction and 3/4 screen is a jump in full punish.

113 skc you can poke after
Most strings into f24 are very tricky to jail so you can backdash if they are constantly using after f3 etc.
If they're doing skc into pressure starting on a high and u want to check their execution use a poke, no armour as its easily broken.
If you block a d3 you get a free d4 into pressure.

Your d4 is faster and has more range than jc's. It used properly it can be tricky for jc to get near.

You can backdash vs ex balls for free except in the corner.

In the corner kotal is exceptionally free versus cage, though after a grab jc has to be absolutely frame perfect to break your ex OH sword if he can at all -cant remember data on ex sword.

your njk is a great tool vs cage in the corner and if used properly. Try encorperate into your game.

Might just be not labbing it but i have issues when kotal does a grab, dashes forward and does a Jump back punch in the corner, really tricky to antiair properly and nutpunch whiffs

If you ask specific questions i can help.

Slavaslave

Professional Casual
Hey I have a question for you @Wigy, in the 11/12 stagger when do I have options to poke? One of my biggest issues with the Johnny matchup is this pressure, it feels like the staggers are plus and any time I attempt to poke out with either d4 or d1 I get tagged by the next 11/12

Wigy

There it is...
Hey I have a question for you @Wigy, in the 11/12 stagger when do I have options to poke? One of my biggest issues with the Johnny matchup is this pressure, it feels like the staggers are plus and any time I attempt to poke out with either d4 or d1 I get tagged by the next 11/12
12 isnt a stagger if you see 12 its a rc so dont try to poke unless they're not jailing properly.

It goes like this for me:

After 11 you can poke and the worst you'll eat is a poke.
If jc does 11(gap)f24 you can full kombo the gap with b1
If jc does 113 skc there is a gap you can poke out of on any followup. You can also armour 113 ballbunch on block.

What you really have to watch out for is 11 walk back f3 as it beats most pokes badly.

Hes +2 on 11, making his fastest poke 5frames after.

Basically if you see him punch with each arm its 12 and dont poke unless they're sloppy on cancels, if its two punches with the same hand you can poke if u think its a stagger.

Any questions PM me, or if you're eu ps4 i can explain the MU in game

12 isnt a stagger if you see 12 its a rc so dont try to poke unless they're not jailing properly.

It goes like this for me:

After 11 you can poke and the worst you'll eat is a poke.
If jc does 11(gap)f24 you can full kombo the gap with b1
If jc does 113 skc there is a gap you can poke out of on any followup. You can also armour 113 ballbunch on block.

What you really have to watch out for is 11 walk back f3 as it beats most pokes badly.

Hes +2 on 11, making his fastest poke 5frames after.

Basically if you see him punch with each arm its 12 and dont poke unless they're sloppy on cancels, if its two punches with the same hand you can poke if u think its a stagger.

Any questions PM me, or if you're eu ps4 i can explain the MU in game
this was incredibly helpful, because im about to break my pad thanks to jc cancel pressure.

Wigy

There it is...
this was incredibly helpful, because im about to break my pad thanks to jc cancel pressure.
No worries. Just try to pick up patterns, if they're sloppy and not jailing, f24 is backdashable and highs are pokeable (after a skc)

Happy to help,

Slavaslave

Professional Casual
thanks for the info, I need to get in the lab or with a partner and practice poking out of the 11, right now I am like a deer in headlights when a JC starts throwing that out.