What's new

Atrocitus Matchup Discussion

Guys how is this section so dead? I'm struggling with so many matchups, super girl, super man, batman, doctor fate, what do you guys have in terms of keeping them where u want them?

Not an expert by a long shot but let me try to contribute from what I've gathered so far based on personal experience and advice from local pro players (as well as the Atrocitus Discord).

Longer post coming up with character-specific stuff, but let's do some broad strokes first:

We are a bully. Atrocitus isn't rushdown, nor is he a turtle. Don't expect to be dealing a lot of damage even by spending meter -- what Atrocitus excels at is finding his optimal range (more-or-less his sweep range), staying there and basically smacking his opponent into being afraid to push buttons. We work best with our opponent in the corner, and we've no shortage of tools for carrying them there and advancing. As we've discussed on the Atrocitus discord: f223 is to approach, b23 is to whiff punish, d1 (you better convert that into d1 xx db1 on hit) is a panic button.

Against rushdown: Pushblock! Atrocitus' normals are a bit on the slower side (except for d1), so getting rushed down can get pretty scary for us. Your best bet is to spend a bar on pushblock to regain the neutral state, then establish your dominance from there. If you've got Dex-starr out (hopefully you've studied some setups but generally, you want a combo that ends in d2 xx 4) f4 will help a ton in deflecting some of the heat. A sneaky mb b3 or f3 can also help out, but don't do it too much or they'll be reading you from five pages away. Resist the temptation to use the mb air escape(s) because properly using those means you know the exact point in the juggle that won't continue the combo if you spend those two bars.

Against zoning: Arguably Atrocitus' trickiest matchup because we've no projectiles (without Dex-starr) and the bloodnado is a tad too slow. Your default approach should always be the classic crouch-walk (NRS vets will know what I mean), then take advantage of some quality advancing mids (i.e. f223) once you're in range. If they're got projectiles that hit low, just commit to the fact that you'll be taking chip damage and plan to deal way more to them once you're in. Resist the temptation to use the mb roll unless you know the exact timing, because it's got recovery and might just get you punished.

Against zoning, with Dex-starr: Deserves a paragraph of its own! Don't be afraid to press 4 at fullscreen because it's worth it to sacrifice a small bit of your lifebar in exchange for bringing the cat out. f4 is going to be your best friend as you walk forward, don't forget to press it again after it eats a projectile. Against some zoners you can actually try doing bf1 in the air and using Dex-starr's projectiles to cover you -- turning the otherwise unsafe ghetto airdash into an actually viable approach. Or just jump in while Dex-starr makes your opponent play Touhou, but that doesn't look half as funny. (Seriously though, walk forward.)

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Guys how is this section so dead? I'm struggling with so many matchups, super girl, super man, batman, doctor fate, what do you guys have in terms of keeping them where u want them?
Fate is in Atro's favor. Just be patient and walk in taking the chip, you need one opening. Get Dex out when you can and then do an air charge and do f4 at the last second. This covers you if he tries to anti-air and now you're basically in footsie range. Don't be afraid to just block his wakeups, they just back him into the corner. He outfootsies fate like crazy and can jump over Fate's fireballs from a distance leading to a full combo. Also don't be afraid to throw out puddle every once in a while to disrupt his flow. Most of this matchup comes down to being patient and forcing to Fate to either back himself into a corner or whiffing a normal that we can then punish.

Supergirl is also a lot about being patient. Try and be blocking low a majority of the time, all of her overheads are pretty reactable. The teleport is super reactable and you can punish it really hard. With Dex you can F4 to absorb lasers and make your way in. Learn what you can punish against her, most of her good footsie tools are super punishable. This matchup once again comes down to patience.

Batman can be difficult depending on how they play. If they love to j2 then throw out d2 and df2 frequently to catch them. Remember that any blocked puddle is full combo punishable by him from anywhere on the screen so don't throw it out very often. The key to batman is blocking and pushblocking a ton. His bats have little to no blockstun so if you block the bats you can poke him out of practically any of his followups. If he tries to zone with batarangs just walk your way in slowly. Atro has much better footsies than bats so stay just outside his range and whiff punish what you can.

Supes I'm still kind of figuring out myself.