What's new

Atrocitus Matchup Chart (Updated Post Patch)

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Since the Matchup discussion thread is pretty much dead, I want to shake things up and put out a matchup chart for Atro. Keep in mind this is all subject to change and the main point of this is to create discussion. I'll give brief thoughts on each matchup but will go into more detail if you ask.

Aquaman 6-4: Atro has a lot of advantages in this matchup. He can punish any tentacle with puddle, he outfootsies Aqua, Aqua's trait isn't really that useful (he has to make a hard read when to use it or he's getting combo'd). The key to this MU is to basically sit there and force the Aqua to come in, and outfootsie him once he does.

Bane 5-5: Very momentum heavy. Atro outfootsies Bane and can keep him locked down when he's not on venom. Atro also gets super heavy punishes when Bane is in Debuff, and can punish charge very easily. The reason this is still even is because Bane has a great comeback factor and his oki can give Atro a lot of trouble. Plus with venom he can get out of typical pressure and make trait not as useful in the neutral.

Batman 4-6: If Batman has a bat out pretty much all of Atro's pressure is punishable. His zoning isn't great but it is enough for him to gain a meter advantage and pushblock constantly. The reason this isn't 3-7 is because Atro does outfootsie him, can challenge J2 with d2, and can deal with Batman well once he's knocked down. The key to this MU is getting trait out, because blood ball when used right prevents him from comboing off of bats. You also really need to abuse the footsie advantage when Batman's trait is on cooldown.

Black Adam 5-5: This might be controversial but I think this MU might be 5-5 after the patch. Adam does outfootsie Atro pretty hard and his pressure can be really tough to deal with. However, once Atro gets a knockdown he gets free reign to do basically whatever he wants (Adam can always MBB3 of course). The damage output's are also pretty similar, with Atro getting much better meterless damage with trait. It really comes down to being patient and waiting for an opening.

Black Canary 6-4: He outfootsies her heavily and can walk her down really easily. As long as you are smart you shouldn't be whiffing stuff to allow her to get trait out. If she gets a hit she can mix, but with trait you can cover your ass with blood balls most of the time (unless you get hit by her scream). You can blow up her wakeup flips with practice, so his oki does wonders. Her hitbox can be problematic when doing corner resets, so it's probably best to just go for damage and try and read when she's going to try and flip out.

Blue Beetle 4-6: BB's zoning gives him tons of meter, so he'll be pushblocking a lot. His flight patterns make it impossible to catch him at times and often make trait not as useful. Shield bash can keep Atro honest and hinder his pressure and oki (although you can full combo punish if he whiffs it). It is just an uphill battle the whole way through, but the resets do help balance things out. Smart use of blood shield is also a must here.

Brainiac* 5-5: Limited experience. At first glance Brainiac has good air mobility and can hang in the footsies department. His trait can mess up Atro's pressure too. It seems even but i'll have to play it more.

Captain Cold 5-5: Cold can do his anti-rushdown strats against Atro pretty well. The biggest difference between Atro and other rushdown characters is that he can check cold with puddle if he tries to build trait from fullscreen. Plus a lot of Cold's pressure is minus or neutral so Atro can check him with blood balls and d1. Atro beats Cold in footsie range so using resets practically guarantees you some extra pressure.

Catwoman 4-6: The two biggest issues in this matchup are her hitbox and b3. Her hitbox makes it harder to do a lot of the resets, and she can b3 at any time making it hard to follow up on most of your pressure. Her pressure is really good and with no good wakeups you basically have to hold her oki most of the time. She also keeps up in damage and footsies.

Cheetah 6-4: She has insane damage with trait, but he can puddle punish her traiting so she has to be really careful about how she gets it out. Her mixups can seem scary at first but blood balls stop her advancements and blood ball disrupts her aerial game as well. If you're patient I think Atro can win pretty easy, although Cheetah does have options.

Cyborg 6-4: His zoning is annoying at first but with proper MB rolls it's easy enough to get around. Once you're in you can pretty much go ham. His wakeups are not great and he gets super outfootsied. He also can't deal with Atro pressure very well.

Darkseid 4-6: His zoning really makes this MU a struggle, because as usual he has a ton of meter to pushblock all the time. It also doesn't help that with one good teleport he can force you to block a 50/50, and he can make teleports safe with trait. Shield is good for getting in on zoning, but again he'll have a lot of meter for defense. One of his harder matchups.

Deadshot 5-5: It is a bitch to get in but once you do Atro outfootsies him and outdamages him big time. Shield works great up close and you can always end your combos in a restand to avoid the knee. Overall this matchup just takes a shit ton of patience and smart play.

Fate 6-4: Counter zoning with puddle is effective here. Shield also helps you get in. He outfootsies Fate which is one of Fate's bigger strengths. Fate's wakeup can be hard to deal with but again you can just end in a restand. A good Fate can still win but they have to outplay the Atro player imo.

Firestorm* 6-4: Barely play this but my best advice is to always expect him to MB the trap. If you respect that he has a hard time getting anything going. He can't hang in neutral with Atro and his zoning isn't strong enough to keep Atro out for long.

Flash 6-4: Up close he is a beast but Atro outfootsies him badly and trait shots can stop a lot of his plus pressure. D2 is really good at getting out of a lot of his pressure, and Atro can do a lot of damage with his oki. He does do a lot of damage if he has trait, which is why I recommend saving some meter and pushblocking a lot to reset to neutral.

Gorilla Grodd* 6-4: Outfootsies him and can stop leap pretty easily with trait or D2. A lot of his strings have gaps and/or are unsafe. He just doesn't seem to be able to keep up with Atro. Hard to find a good one to play though so I can't be sure.

Green Arrow 5-5: The zoning in this MU can be tough, but Atro outfootsies him and Atro's resets and pressure can make up a lot of ground when you finally get in though. Arrow's damage is legit so you have to always be careful, but you can throw out puddles to punish him for holding the arrow.

GL 6-4: GL's oki isn't nearly as great because Atro can full combo punish him with wakeup vomit. Counter Zoning with puddle works really well and Atro holds his own in neutral. Atro can bully him on knockdown pretty easily. I always feel in control in this match, but a good GL can still win.

Harley 5-5*: She can zone Atro out well but gets outclassed up close, especially with trait out. Her hitbox is a problem in some cases. I do think Atro outfootsies her and can bully her up close which is why I have it at 5-5, but I do need to play it more.

Joker 6-4*: I don't play many Joker's, but from what I can tell Atro outfootsies him and can get around his gimmicky setups easily. Don't see how this isn't 6-4 Atro.

Ivy 6-4: Her zoning is pretty good and her footsies can hang with his for sure. However, she is very free to jump ins especially with trait out. Trading with puddle is also an option for Atro. He can bully her on wakeup and with jump ins and her pillars aren't going to keep him out forever. I think this is close to 5-5 but i'd give Atro the edge because of her bad wakeups and AAs.

Red Hood 5-5: Atro has the advantage in footsies but Red Hood does really well from fullscreen. He also has an easy way to get in your face quickly. I think that Atro can pressure him really well as long as he is ending combos in restands, but without trait you should be fine as long as you respect his wakeups. It's overall a pretty even matchup in my eyes.

Robin 6-4: Slightly outfootsies robin and most of his pressure can be blown up for a full combo. You can throw out puddle for free at fullscreen and up close and midscreen Atro still has a big advantage. Robin has options but it is tough for him.

Scarecrow 5-5: He keeps up with Atro in footsies and can keep him honest when trait is out. Atro has to hold a lot of pressure if he gets knocked down but so does scarecrow. It really comes down to who has the better footsies and can get their pressure going first.

Sub Zero 6-4: While Sub does have clone, I don't think he has the options Cold does to make this 5-5. When he clones I basically just walk back and watch for the slide and punish. Once you have trait out you can use blood ball to break the clone (IIRC, let me know if I'm wrong). He outfootsies Sub overall.

Supergirl 4-6: Her aerial mobility, small hitbox, safe pressure, and zoning make this a tough MU. She can hang in neutral and has decent wakeup options to keep Atro at bay. She does very well in this MU, but he does at least outdamage her and trait gives him more options in terms of shielding the lasers and stopping some of her pressure with blood balls.

Superman 4-6: He is one of the few characters to outfootsie Atro (his F2 is way faster). He has good aerial options as well. He keeps up in damage and overall has better pressure. Might actually be Atro's hardest MU after the patch. Just outclasses him in almost every way. The bright side is Supes wakeups are pretty bad so Atro can definitely get some good oki and pressure going.

Starfire 4-6*: She's pretty new so it is hard to say for sure, but she has everything that Atro seems to struggle against. Great zoning and good aerial options make this pretty tough, and her damage is very legit. She also has the same hitbox issues that all the females create for Atro. Her biggest weakness is her AA but with Atro's floaty jump she can handle him. Will have to see how the MU develops over time.

Swamp Thing* 6-4: Never actually played this, but I know Atro outfootsies him and I don't think Swampy has much in terms of dealing with Atro's pressure.

Wonder Woman 6-4: This is a footsie based matchup but Atro has the edge imo. He can get past her zoning easily and bully her with pressure up close.

Anyway these were just some of the things I had written down. Again the point is to create discussion and some of these are very likely wrong. I'd appreciate if you'd put why you disagree if you do though.

Oh and for those interested:
Good MUs: 14
Even MUs: 9
Bad MUs: 7

Last edited:

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Imo

S+

Adam 4-6

CW 5-5

Atrocitus NA

Batman 4-6

Aquaman 5-5

Superman 5-5 (maybe 4-6)

Deadshot 5-5

A+

Darkseid 5-5

Scarecrow 5-5

Red Hood 6-4

Harley 5-5

GL 5-5

Canary 6-4

Robin 6-4

Supergirl 5-5

A

Beetle 4-6

Firestorm 5-5

poison Ivy 6-4

Joker 6-4

Dr Fate 5-5

Flash 5-5

Cheetah 6-4

Arrow 5-5

Bane 6-4

WW 6-4

B+

Cyborg 7-3

Brainiac 6-4

Cold 6-4

Grodd 6-4

C trash

Swamp 6-4

Espio

Kokomo
I agree on Blue Beetle and Cheetah. I dunno whether I would say 6-4 or 7-3 though. I think at a fundamental level Beetle just counters Atrocitus' gameplan so I guess it doesn't really matter. Something else on the Cheetah match up to add since she has no full screen presence, popping trait is even easier versus her than many others on the cast especially since she struggles to deal with his back dash too.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
I think the Harley MU is very controversial since some people say it's in either one's favor. Personally I think it's 5-5 but lately I have had issues with Atrocitus players who just sit fullscreen and wait for trait to build up, yeah, she can zone him when he has no trait on but what is stopping the Atro player from just sitting there taking very few chip and then activating trait? The worst he can eat is a 44 damage gunshot when he activates it unless the Harley player makes a hard read with cupcakes since she can't do it on reaction.

Once he has trait it's his turn to get offensive and it's obviously very threatening.

However, she can hold her own very well and she can build meter when he has no trait so she has her options when he gets it out, therfore the 5-5 but I can definitely see him have a slight edge in the future.

Imo

S+

Adam 4-6

CW 5-5

Atrocitus NA

Batman 4-6

Aquaman 5-5

Superman 5-5 (maybe 4-6)

Deadshot 5-5

A+

Darkseid 5-5

Scarecrow 5-5

Red Hood 6-4

Harley 5-5

GL 5-5

Canary 6-4

Robin 6-4

Supergirl 5-5

A

Beetle 4-6

Firestorm 5-5

poison Ivy 6-4

Joker 6-4

Dr Fate 5-5

Flash 5-5

Cheetah 6-4

Arrow 5-5

Bane 6-4

WW 6-4

B+

Cyborg 7-3

Brainiac 6-4

Cold 6-4

Grodd 6-4

C trash

Swamp 6-4
I'd like to know more about that SG matchup. What does she have that he has to worry about?

Let's run it sometime soon.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
Very solid match up numbers for both.

Imo. Dead Shot & Aquaman are losing match ups. 5-5 Darksied is so hard to not call a losing match up but experience for me as me leaning on 5-5 for my results.

Zoidberg747

After grinding and labbing a bit more I changed Crow, Supergirl, and Bane to even. I think those characters can hold their own.

G11OST

Noob
I feel attrocitous is 6 4 against red hood

I actually think his wakeup is very bad against atro, atro advancing strings can catch hood after invisibility frames

Atro d1 stops a lot of hoods pressure

His low puddle is a constant threat and keep hoods throwing mines in check

Attro seems to always win in trades against hood due to hit box collisions

Can you go into more detail of why you feel hood has the edge? I'm very curious, iv seen this match up be put in hoods favor a few times now

Zoidberg747

I feel attrocitous is 6 4 against red hood

I actually think his wakeup is very bad against atro, atro advancing strings can catch hood after invisibility frames

Atro d1 stops a lot of hoods pressure

His low puddle is a constant threat and keep hoods throwing mines in check

Attro seems to always win in trades against hood due to hit box collisions

Can you go into more detail of why you feel hood has the edge? I'm very curious, iv seen this match up be put in hoods favor a few times now
You're probably right after playing it some more. I changed it.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I don't feel the risk reward is even with SG, since he 1) Hits so hard, in addition to constantly doing chip 2) Always has the meter advantage in this matchup.

SG needs her meter badly, and having to pushblock means that she no longer has bar to play her game. You're either trading damage or safety, neither of which is an optimal sacrifice against Atrocitus.

But I'm open to changing my mind if you have examples.

Zoidberg747

I don't feel the risk reward is even with SG, since he 1) Hits so hard, in addition to constantly doing chip 2) Always has the meter advantage in this matchup.

SG needs her meter badly, and having to pushblock means that she no longer has bar to play her game. You're either trading damage or safety, neither of which is an optimal sacrifice against Atrocitus.

But I'm open to changing my mind if you have examples.
I teeter between 6-4 him and 5-5. I honestly need to play it a lot more. But I think her air mobility and lasers are enough to shut down some of his game plan. Fair point about the pushblock though.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I teeter between 6-4 him and 5-5. I honestly need to play it a lot more. But I think her air mobility and lasers are enough to shut down some of his game plan. Fair point about the pushblock though.
The thing about air mobility is that if just waits for it, he can d2 her like any other character.

Her main way of opening him up to is to play footsies -- but once he has trait up, his 'footsie' game becomes something else entirely. And if he contests her air mobility and forces her to advance on the ground (the proper way to fight Supergirl) then f22 is still a pretty darn good footsie tool.

Any match ups feel significantly easier/harder post patch?
From my experience so far superman and deadshot are harder. Characters who can pushblock you consistently in general are harder. Also characters with small hitboxes are harder because on top of you not being able to vomit off b23 for a restand, now you can't cash out on anywhere near as much damage with the nerf to vomit DoT scaling.

Im sure this was already known by alot of people but flash's bf1 guarentee punishes atro's 50/50 with dextart out and trades for full combo without armor. Its sexy lol. Saw it for the first time today.

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
LMAO I appreciate you realizing joker is in the running for the worst character in the game but damn 7-3? Nah it's more like 6-4 atrocitus favor.

Yoaks

A spaceman
WW's Shield Toss isn't a projectile. So it goes right through Blood Shield. As for the mu. At worst its 4-6 for WW. Best its even. I hate fighting this character.

Zoidberg747

Updated the chart by putting stars next to the one's i'm unsure of and changing some MU numbers. Definitely don't think he's a top 3 character anymore though lol, but none of his bad MUs feel unwinnable. He's probably in the 8 or 9 range (along with like 10 other characters). All the numbers are of course subject to change, star or not.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
All the MUs i think he loses

Fate
Deadshot
Supergirl
Superman
CatWomen
RedHood
Starfire

I also want to say Batman but that could be on me.
my Exp with BB is not strong enough to say what it is with him