What's new

Atom MU Discussion

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Also Atom gets to poke out of DB2 MB pressure with trait unless Scarecrow makes hard reads.

Atom's trait low profiles Scarecrow's S2, F2, B2, D1 (kind of a big deal), and his J3 unless done super deep (Like to point it'd be a free anti-air)

Edit - I lied, he can't poke out of DB2 MB. I thought it was +5 and not +6. He can do D3 or trait out of anything that isn't D1 or grab though I think which is pretty sick.
I feel the next layer is to uncover all the places where he can trait or d3 out of pressure. So the opponent has to think twice about going in with Atom when he has trait, allowing for more zoning and meter build for when we get in. Great find!

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
I feel the next layer is to uncover all the places where he can trait or d3 out of pressure. So the opponent has to think twice about going in with Atom when he has trait, allowing for more zoning and meter build for when we get in. Great find!
I am gonna make a list of this soon

Mandolore1123

Need a bit of help with the Starfire MU? What should I be doing for a game plan?

Sent from my iPhone using Test Your Might

Cursa

Need a bit of help with the Starfire MU? What should I be doing for a game plan?

Can you teleport on reaction to Stardust? I don't think Atom gets insanely zoned out, and trait is a pretty good answer for most of Starfire's neutral tools. Might be a case of waiting for trait and taking opportunities when you can using teleport and trait.

Outside of trait though I think Starfire wins the neutral hard. F2 is a good tool even though it's a high, unless you make a hard D3 read, B2 is a super good anti-air, and her wakeup(s) can prove troublesome (for me at least). Trait is an answer to both her zoning and footsies though, not sure how well Atom does in the zoning war though.

Mandolore1123

Can you teleport on reaction to Stardust? I don't think Atom gets insanely zoned out, and trait is a pretty good answer for most of Starfire's neutral tools. Might be a case of waiting for trait and taking opportunities when you can using teleport and trait.

Outside of trait though I think Starfire wins the neutral hard. F2 is a good tool even though it's a high, unless you make a hard D3 read, B2 is a super good anti-air, and her wakeup(s) can prove troublesome (for me at least). Trait is an answer to both her zoning and footsies though, not sure how well Atom does in the zoning war though.
He probably loses. Since her projectiles are faster. I have to teleport in or use trait to low profile.

Cursa

Finding it hard to deal with, of all things, Bane's D1. Just so far and it feels like D3 doesn't reach far enough. Also it's a fantastic tool for dealing with Atom's wakeups, combined with D1 armoured specials

And once Bane is in if feels REALLY hard to get him out again. His forward dash and armoured charge feel hard to deal with as Atom with stubby limbs and not fast normals

Last edited:

Mandolore1123

Finding it hard to deal with, of all things, Bane's D1. Just so far and it feels like D3 doesn't reach far enough. Also it's a fantastic tool for dealing with Atom's wakeups, combined with D1 armoured specials

And once Bane is in if feels REALLY hard to get him out again. His forward dash and armoured charge feel hard to deal with as Atom with stubby limbs and not fast normals
Isn’t the Bane MU all about not dealing with Bane’s buttons? Zone him out, MBb3 his charge or teleport, delayed wake-up and all that. Granted you clearly have a greater understanding of Bane than I do considering your icon. Just my two cents. But I guess you can try d1, since it’s faster and safer, and it actually reaches quite far out too.

Sent from my iPad using Test Your Might

Cursa

Isn’t the Bane MU all about not dealing with Bane’s buttons? Zone him out, MBb3 his charge or teleport, delayed wake-up and all that. Granted you clearly have a greater understanding of Bane than I do considering your icon. Just my two cents. But I guess you can try d1, since it’s faster and safer, and it actually reaches quite far out too.

Idk. Armoured charge feels like a really good answer to stomp on a read. You can block it in time but you'd be hard pressed to armour B3 or teleport it in time unless fullscreen. -12 but a shitload of pushback against a character with really stubby normals seems pretty strong. Makes it really hard to build meter.

D1 at max range seems... really hard to deal with, especially since a blocked charge puts him at that range and now he's free to do all his armoured shenanigans. Trait works wonders if you manage to get it out, but Bane can really abuse that D1 and either prevent you from getting it out or put it on cool down really fast.

Difference in damage output is also monstrous. Bane matches your damage for like 1 bar off a D1, not even including his meterless launchers like B23 or 113 in the corner or venom. Once he gets the life lead it feels very hard to take it back, and there's little risk for Bane poking out of gaps in strings due to the lack of damage Atom gets normally, and setups become harder due to armoured reversals just poking out of anything that doesn't jail.

I'm not saying it's losing, but boy am I having a hard time.

Mandolore1123

Idk. Armoured charge feels like a really good answer to stomp on a read. You can block it in time but you'd be hard pressed to armour B3 or teleport it in time unless fullscreen. -12 but a shitload of pushback against a character with really stubby normals seems pretty strong. Makes it really hard to build meter.

D1 at max range seems... really hard to deal with, especially since a blocked charge puts him at that range and now he's free to do all his armoured shenanigans. Trait works wonders if you manage to get it out, but Bane can really abuse that D1 and either prevent you from getting it out or put it on cool down really fast.

Difference in damage output is also monstrous. Bane matches your damage for like 1 bar off a D1, not even including his meterless launchers like B23 or 113 in the corner or venom. Once he gets the life lead it feels very hard to take it back, and there's little risk for Bane poking out of gaps in strings due to the lack of damage Atom gets normally, and setups become harder due to armoured reversals just poking out of anything that doesn't jail.

I'm not saying it's losing, but boy am I having a hard time.
I have actually yet to play a Bane using Atom I think. I main BA too so it’s not too hard to deal with Bane using him lol

Cursa

I have actually yet to play a Bane using Atom I think. I main BA too so it’s not too hard to deal with Bane using him lol

Yea I got a pocket Superman among others to deal with Bane but boy did that feel like a bad match. At least Atom's wakeup kinda does well against Bane so I guess that's cool. I wonder if I can teleport through tick throws

Edit - you most certainly cannot, but you can trait through it.

Cursa

Robin does feel kinda shitty. Atom low profiles D1 but not D12 and I find his jump ins really hard to deal with, plus he can read a stomp and DB2 over it and I find atomiser doesn't catch it enough to be worth it. Also regular DB2 is super cancer to deal with.

That and B2 is mad annoying since it beats trait. D3 can beat it but the risk/reward is hugely out of your favour, and if Robin gets hit by it you get put back into a range where his B2 and B1 hit but D3 whiffs. So you're mcfucked.

Although MB Atomiser on a read of a jump is the most beautiful thing ever.

Mandolore1123

Robin does feel kinda shitty. Atom low profiles D1 but not D12 and I find his jump ins really hard to deal with, plus he can read a stomp and DB2 over it and I find atomiser doesn't catch it enough to be worth it. Also regular DB2 is super cancer to deal with.

That and B2 is mad annoying since it beats trait. D3 can beat it but the risk/reward is hugely out of your favour, and if Robin gets hit by it you get put back into a range where his B2 and B1 hit but D3 whiffs. So you're mcfucked.

Although MB Atomiser on a read of a jump is the most beautiful thing ever.
I’ve been thinking about jumpers who jump over everything. If characters like robin or black manta jump a lot we can probably teleport on reaction since all their jump attacks hit forwards and don’t cross-up, so once we finish teleporting and they land we can dash backwards to continue zoning. Is just a thought though.

Cursa

I’ve been thinking about jumpers who jump over everything. If characters like robin or black manta jump a lot we can probably teleport on reaction since all their jump attacks hit forwards and don’t cross-up, so once we finish teleporting and they land we can dash backwards to continue zoning. Is just a thought though.

Indeed. Robin is also hard because you have a 0% chance of anti-airing a J3. You might be able to air-to-air it but he might just wait and D2 you if they're patient (Which they should be at that range as Robin). MB Atomizer is an alright answer but costs meter obviously. Can't trait through most of those kinds of jump ins, the ones where the jumper surrounds themselves in a hurt box basically. Can sometimes D3 but doesn't really do anything since you don't get a punish and sometimes they do hit you if they do it late enough.

Idk. Air mobility is Atom's strongest weakness by far I would say. At least in footsie range you can use trait to deal with it. Jump ins and other air mobility feel like yolo air to airs or nothing.

Cursa

Also I tried teleporting out of Robin's J3 and I don't think I could do it on reaction, but that was Robin's J3 which basically reaches the ground at the peak of his jump so maybe not the best example. I don't know how to read the frames of the teleport since it starts up in 1 frame but obviously it isn't a 1 frame teleport so yeah.

Cursa

Holy fuck how do you beat Harley as Atom.

Like I won but it was 3-2 and we were both on like 10 health. I feel she wins the zoning war super convincingly since I can't find a way to beat her gunshot fullscreen and her jump 2 and air guns feel super hard to deal with. I won by waiting out for trait but I don't see that working if the dude just blocked .

Mandolore1123

Holy fuck how do you beat Harley as Atom.

Like I won but it was 3-2 and we were both on like 10 health. I feel she wins the zoning war super convincingly since I can't find a way to beat her gunshot fullscreen and her jump 2 and air guns feel super hard to deal with. I won by waiting out for trait but I don't see that working if the dude just blocked .
I feel he struggles with projectiles that are faster than his in general. Unlike characters like Black Adam where he can trade with a move with lots of hit advantage and get back the momentum in zoning. His stomp and gun startup and travel slowly. So he has to rely on teleport to get in. Which can easily be punished. He can use trait, but characters like Cold or GL can put a wall in front of him and knock him out of trait which allows for more zoning again.

Any thoughts on the Firestorm MU?

In short, it sucks. Molten Trap does a good job of circumventing Atom’s zoning tools and there’s not a hell of a lot Atom can do to reverse momentum up close.

Last edited:

Cursa

Zoning war is about even imo if you know when to respect molten trap. Stomp can also trade with molten trap pretty consistently, or even just go over it completely, on a read and gets you a knockdown which is pretty strong. If you feel you're getting zoned out Atom has the tools to get in with trait and teleport. Float does wonders provided you're careful and don't get trip guarded by a molten trap.

Damage output is severely out of Atom's favour but if you can deal with molten trap in the neutral you'll probably do alright. Blue chemical helps a lot in the zoning war if you can get it out safely.

Mandolore1123

I feel the Starfish is a great way to remove Atom’s trait if he pops it out in the neutral. Instant j1 from Firestorm also does a good job of knocking him out into a full combo. At least that’s what I’ve gleaned from Sonic Fox Vs Grr

Cursa

You can bait out starfish if they're catching trait with that a lot. You can get a whiff punish if you're fast but I'm not so I usually just get block pressure which is enough for me.

I don't think it's losing, but Firestorm is like top 3 so would not be surprised. Both characters have tools to shut each other down which is why I'm calling even at the moment.