What's new

Atom General discussion

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
I wish his trait had a tiny tiny tiny increase in damage, like 1%, though I feel he’s fine just the way he is

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
For opponents who try to beat MB teleport using forward jump attacks, such as Scarecrow, you can usually beat this by doing wakeup trait which low profiles a ton of jump ins at that range.

Mandolore1123

For opponents who try to beat MB teleport using forward jump attacks, such as Scarecrow, you can usually beat this by doing wakeup trait which low profiles a ton of jump ins at that range.
But does he hit Atom out of trait? But then I might be trying to do trait into 2 immediately
Should I wait for him to land then do 22, 11, 1223?

Cursa

But does he hit Atom out of trait? But then I might be trying to do trait into 2 immediately
Should I wait for him to land then do 22, 11, 1223?
He can but then teleport might've worked. I don't think you can cover both. Or at least some characters can't.

I don't have a console but if they do a jump attack you should be able to tripguard them before they hit the ground.

Mandolore1123

Found this on YT, for those interested in unlocking this. Personally it looks cool, and the ability to use interactables as a gadget and power character is nice. Enjoy :)

Cursa

So uh something I didn't know, you can clash Atom's throw if you do it while the MB gas cloud is down.

Super situational but the more you know

Cursa

What about if it’s just normal gas cloud?

Sent from my iPhone using Test Your Might
I doubt it since I think it's the little unblockable particles that get clashed I think. So when I did it the throw was the first hit and then as the throw ended the AI clashed against me and I was like wut

Mandolore1123

I doubt it since I think it's the little unblockable particles that get clashed I think. So when I did it the throw was the first hit and then as the throw ended the AI clashed against me and I was like wut
That’s good. So we can still get 200 damage throws and save meter for other stuff :)

Mandolore1123

Yea just thought I'd mention it because it's a really strong tool for preventing clashes and now I know you can clash it lol
I guess just use the MB green cloud by itself then rather than in conjunction with other stuff if we want to prevent clashes.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Anyone know a good way to get an ambiguous crossup/50-50 jump in situation off of MB Blue Chemical on hit?

Cursa

Anyone know a good way to get an ambiguous crossup/50-50 jump in situation off of MB Blue Chemical on hit?
Pretty sure I put one in here somewhere but I can't find it...

Basically you can do ambiguous JI3 and combo into that, but the one I like is doing JI2 into either float J3 or B1 which is kinda gimmicky since I believe it doesn't truly jail but I am pretty sure there's a way to make it do so. JI3 is a true jail I believe, or at least harder to backdash out of because, you know, crossups.

Just a tip though, using blue chemical is best but it's pretty meter and setup intensive.

StarterxxBF1 MB -> Blue Chemical -> B3 -> Forward dash -> 11xxDF3 MB is a way to set it up if you want to go that way

Marinjuana

Pretty sure I put one in here somewhere but I can't find it...

Basically you can do ambiguous JI3 and combo into that, but the one I like is doing JI2 into either float J3 or B1 which is kinda gimmicky since I believe it doesn't truly jail but I am pretty sure there's a way to make it do so. JI3 is a true jail I believe, or at least harder to backdash out of because, you know, crossups.

Just a tip though, using blue chemical is best but it's pretty meter and setup intensive.

StarterxxBF1 MB -> Blue Chemical -> B3 -> Forward dash -> 11xxDF3 MB is a way to set it up if you want to go that way
I find JI3 to be inconsistent or reactable, especially with the hit reaction of MB Blue Chemical. I'm doing one or two bar combos that end in MB Blue Chemical and I'm trying to make it worthwhile by having a good mixup off of the restand from MB Blue.

Cursa

I find JI3 to be inconsistent or reactable, especially with the hit reaction of MB Blue Chemical. I'm doing one or two bar combos that end in MB Blue Chemical and I'm trying to make it worthwhile by having a good mixup off of the restand from MB Blue.
I also find J3 hard to use since Atom's limbs are super stubby and hard to hit confirm off of due to gravity.

The problem is that J3 is Atom's only non-traited crossup, so it's something that just has to be dealt with. The best I've been able to do is J2 into float or J2 into B1 for a pseudo overhead/low mixup... but it has problems of it's own

Last edited:

Cursa

Also if you want full gimmick you could do the sort of day 1 Grodd F3/B1 mixup, especially since Atom's F3 is one of those ones that you don't know it's starting up until it's too late since he just stands still for 80% of it

Marinjuana

So do you do J2 on hit into float~J2? Because I can't seem to get it to not combo into itself. I know that's a mixup people do but I need J2~float to reset on hit.

I would imagine someone posted something like this already. That said, I cleaned up my setup enough to post it at least, but they have little reason not to just backdash with the mixup I got. The gist is that I use d1~BGB and two bars to restand them with MB Blue in front of the BGB. Then I go for an empty jump B1/JI2 mixup. You can hit confirm the overhead and for low you can commit to B1~BGB or just do B123/B12~Trait. The reward is there, you can do almost 60% if it lands your way, I just need to find a way to make the mixup more legit, hopefully while still allowing for a good combo.

Cursa

So do you do J2 on hit into float~J2? Because I can't seem to get it to not combo into itself. I know that's a mixup people do but I need J2~float to reset on hit.

I would imagine someone posted something like this already. That said, I cleaned up my setup enough to post it at least, but they have little reason not to just backdash with the mixup I got. The gist is that I use d1~BGB and two bars to restand them with MB Blue in front of the BGB. Then I go for an empty jump B1/JI2 mixup. You can hit confirm the overhead and for low you can commit to B1~BGB or just do B123/B12~Trait. The reward is there, you can do almost 60% if it lands your way, I just need to find a way to make the mixup more legit, hopefully while still allowing for a good combo.

As you said there's basically always a gap if you use J2, since Atom can't do things like Sub and pre-patch Batman could by doing NJ2 -> J2, or NJ2 in this case (Which would reset the opponent) since Atom's J2 just has 0 range to it at all.

So instead of doing empty jump I do a delayed JI2 so that it doesn't combo off of blue chemical, and then you can do J2xxFloat for overhead or J2xxB1 for a low.

For the record if you can set it up NJ2 -> J2 float/B1 mixup works in the corner since the second J2 actually hits.

I have yet to find a way to make it work consistently midscreen without also having a gap

Edit - I also don't believe you can get float to reset on hit. Maybe super high J3 into really late J2 might work, but then they might just eat the J3 and you've just wasted like 2 bars

Last edited:

Cursa

I think I might have an idea. Maybe. If you can get a red chemical under them then they can't backdash, so I think the only option is MB B3, but I'm pretty confident in Atom's armour breaking abilities off a jump in.

Which is easy to get off of a BF2 MB restand but not sure about blue chemical

Cursa

I don't think it's possible to get a truly unescapable mixup off of a restand outside of J3 crossup which I believe more and more can be reacted to

J2xxFloat or J2xxB1 is pretty legit but then you fight against characters like Flash who will D2 you like 100% of the time out of it. If you use J3 is works but then they might just eat the J3 since
  1. Atom really struggles to combo off his J3 anyway, let alone off of a float or B1 (Since you can't hit confirm a J3 by itself)
  2. J3 does way less damage than guessing wrong on the mixup
Of course you could just go for something like J3 into F21 and then you can hit confirm but then you forgo the mixup which required 2 bars in the first place.

kcd117

Noob
He has a better 50/50 for two bars that works both midscreen and in the corner with the red chemical. I don't have a clip but midscreen version you do your starter into bf1, drop the red chemical, B3, dash foward and wait for them to cross you, then you D2 and when they are almost on the groud you hit S3 into bf2 mb, now they will be staggered inside the red chemical where they can't backdash or jump out, and you can take one step back before you go for the mix to set up the ambiguous J3 or the J2 into float J1 or B1, and once you fall you can cancel B1 (or S1, if you go for the crossup) into df3 for a meterless launcher or + frames of they block it. It is tricky to get the timing down at first but once you get used to it it is not hard. And no one ever blocks it bc no one ever uses atom mixups in tournament so no one is ever ready for it lol.

Cursa

He has a better 50/50 for two bars that works both midscreen and in the corner with the red chemical. I don't have a clip but midscreen version you do your starter into bf1, drop the red chemical, B3, dash foward and wait for them to cross you, then you D2 and when they are almost on the groud you hit S3 into bf2 mb, now they will be staggered inside the red chemical where they can't backdash or jump out, and you can take one step back before you go for the mix to set up the ambiguous J3 or the J2 into float J1 or B1, and once you fall you can cancel B1 (or S1, if you go for the crossup) into df3 for a meterless launcher or + frames of they block it. It is tricky to get the timing down at first but once you get used to it it is not hard. And no one ever blocks it bc no one ever uses atom mixups in tournament so no one is ever ready for it lol.
Yea that's what I'm doing. It's just hard because J3 crossup can be difficult to link as Atom and the J2 50/50 is very difficult to get down perfectly, especially against people like Flash with their low profiliing D2s

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3
I was messing with atom yesterday and found that for 2 bars he can set up a midscreen + 50/50 or a + restand on the green cloud.

I was trying to upload the clip but my ps4 won't upload to yt anymore for no reason so I'll try to explain.

After mb atomizer midscreen u drop a red chemical and b3 them, then u dash under and hit them with a s1 as soon as they switch sides with u and follow up with a s3 into bf2mb. They will be standing right on top of the red puddle and won't be able to jump or backdash out of it. After u hit them with the bf2mb, take a step back and jump in with ji2. From there u decide if u want to cancel j2 into float for a quick overhead with j1 that links into 11 catalyst, which is + and launches for a combo, or if u want to do j2 into a b1 catalystfor the same results. U can even do j2 into late float, land, and go straight into b1 to mess with people's timings.

The poison cloud steup I find very interesting bc it can set up a throw for over 220 dmg! U do the same combo as the last setup, but using green chemical instead. But after u hit the bf2mb part walk up and do 11xx catalyst. This seems to leave you arround +2 on their face. Masher's are gonna try to poke you out of it and you'll beat their d1 with d1 mb atomizer for free, after they respect it you can go for a throw which will do massive dmg as they are standing on the green cloud. If they start backdashing it you can make a hard read and go straight into mb atomizer or f2. You can also into b12 trait to keep them blocking you in the green cloud which will make their hp melt.

The inputs for the combo are

starter into bf1mb db3 b3 dash foward s1 s3bf2mb.
You must have left something out dude cuz you're not going to make him go over you with just a simple Dash he still lands right in front of you

Cursa

You must have left something out dude cuz you're not going to make him go over you with just a simple Dash he still lands right in front of you
You defs can, I've done it multiple times in a couple of vids on this thread IIRC

Cursa

Also be mad careful with that setup at Atom's JI2 is pretty average as a jump in and can be D2'd by a lot of characters if you mistime it even a little bit.