What's new

Atom General discussion

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Well I'm still getting used to doing max damage in trait, at least in the corner, but usually mid screen your objective once you've gotten a hit is to corner carry and get out of trait safely. You can switch sides mid combo by doing a 1 in midair while juggling in order to make corner carry easier. If you watch Grr at Winter Brawl you'll see him do this a far few times as Atom, I think it also might increase the damage a wee bit.

I think Raptor's video on Atom trait combo's is still the highest damage in the corner IIRC but it was confusing af for me and I was lazy to learn it. I think it involved using 1 as a hit since 12 hits faster than 22, so you can get more hits I think? Idk he had a video on it if you were set to learn it. Also try and leave trait while the opponent is still in the air so they can't punish you with a wakeup.
Just wanted to add a bit more. Atom’s trait hits in different directions depending on the distance the Atom is from the opponent. If he is at a long distance away (ie at starting screen distance) then trait is a great tool for corner carry in which he consistently travels in one direction. However, if you begin your trait combo right next to your opponent, you will go through the opponent and the second hit will return you to your original position assuming you’re doing the 22 combo.
On hit, I find it helpful to count in pairs of hits starting from his first grounded 2. I usually only use the 22 combo and don’t care too much about the side-switching since I suck at execution. For example, if I start a trait combo at the starting screen (ie trait on the GROUND and into 22...) I will count the reps of 22s that I can do. Usually it’s 6 reps, so 12 hits (hence my button presses will be 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22~4) Of course, doing all 6 reps is not good for Atom. However, the general plan is to count your hits. It’s good to just experiment in training mode to see how the starting distance of your combos affect the gravity, usually I end it at 4-5 reps so I know I can cancel out of trait somewhat safely. Even if Atom get his first hit in the air, I still like to count my reps from the first GROUNDED 2 I do, just for consistency, though you’ll have to adjust according to the gravity how many reps you are doing. Balance between damage output and safety and ease of execution.
Now for how to end his trait combos. Midscreen usually I just end in grounded 2, you’re safe but you can’t recover fast enough to do anything for oki, especially if your opponent has a wake up that is fast and covers a long distance. However, if you see that your opponent is in the corner, always trade the last rep of 22 into 13, this gives more damage and a HKD in which you can actually do MBf3 to destroy some wakeups, which of course leads to your setups in the corner. Alternatively, you can do 1223 as a corner ender for the same effect. However, if you happen to move into the corner early in your trait combo, it is good to change the 22 reps into 11 reps. However, be careful since the timing is different and you can do less reps for 11 than you can for 22. The most you can do is (assuming you’re right next to the opponent in the corner) 11, 11, 11, 11, 13~4. The payoff is greatly increased damage. Trait combos are a valuable source of damage especially in the corner. Raptor posted a video with Atom doing up to 600 damage using chemicals and trait. Even with a simplified version, off a MBf3 I can hit past 400 on Superman (MBf3, 3~4, 11, 11, 13~4). His trait is also his main source of damage anywhere on the screen, so it is up to the player to decide how he/she should invest trait in different aspects of gameplay (punishing pressure, damage, anti-zoning, etc)

Hope this helps :)

Sent from my iPad using Test Your Might

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
Premium Supporter
Thanks, guys! Good to know the whole side switch vs corner carry thing is spacing dependent, and all that other info is a huge help too. Class acts, you Atom players!

Mandolore1123

Just wanted to add a bit more. Atom’s trait hits in different directions depending on the distance the Atom is from the opponent. If he is at a long distance away (ie at starting screen distance) then trait is a great tool for corner carry in which he consistently travels in one direction. However, if you begin your trait combo right next to your opponent, you will go through the opponent and the second hit will return you to your original position assuming you’re doing the 22 combo.
On hit, I find it helpful to count in pairs of hits starting from his first grounded 2. I usually only use the 22 combo and don’t care too much about the side-switching since I suck at execution. For example, if I start a trait combo at the starting screen (ie trait on the GROUND and into 22...) I will count the reps of 22s that I can do. Usually it’s 6 reps, so 12 hits (hence my button presses will be 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22~4) Of course, doing all 6 reps is not good for Atom. However, the general plan is to count your hits. It’s good to just experiment in training mode to see how the starting distance of your combos affect the gravity, usually I end it at 4-5 reps so I know I can cancel out of trait somewhat safely. Even if Atom get his first hit in the air, I still like to count my reps from the first GROUNDED 2 I do, just for consistency, though you’ll have to adjust according to the gravity how many reps you are doing. Balance between damage output and safety and ease of execution.
Now for how to end his trait combos. Midscreen usually I just end in grounded 2, you’re safe but you can’t recover fast enough to do anything for oki, especially if your opponent has a wake up that is fast and covers a long distance. However, if you see that your opponent is in the corner, always trade the last rep of 22 into 13, this gives more damage and a HKD in which you can actually do MBf3 to destroy some wakeups, which of course leads to your setups in the corner. Alternatively, you can do 1223 as a corner ender for the same effect. However, if you happen to move into the corner early in your trait combo, it is good to change the 22 reps into 11 reps. However, be careful since the timing is different and you can do less reps for 11 than you can for 22. The most you can do is (assuming you’re right next to the opponent in the corner) 11, 11, 11, 11, 13~4. The payoff is greatly increased damage. Trait combos are a valuable source of damage especially in the corner. Raptor posted a video with Atom doing up to 600 damage using chemicals and trait. Even with a simplified version, off a MBf3 I can hit past 400 on Superman (MBf3, 3~4, 11, 11, 13~4). His trait is also his main source of damage anywhere on the screen, so it is up to the player to decide how he/she should invest trait in different aspects of gameplay (punishing pressure, damage, anti-zoning, etc)

Hope this helps :)

Also just want to add that you can delay the timing between reps to achieve different effects, allowing you to still achieve considerable corner carry, though in the other direction than what you started :)

Sent from my iPhone using Test Your Might

Mandolore1123

I’ve been looking at Grr’s Atom, and I feel that doing a 1 in the air mid-combo helps with the gravity scaling? Can someone test this out? I’m starting to think that it’s less to do with side switching and more to do with consistent damage, since it’s his go to combo unless he’s in the corner.

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
Thanks. Good to know. I can start 22 pressure that way since it’s 10f startup.

Sent from my iPhone using Test Your Might
Can be backdashed by everyone I believe. I've noticed people are picking up on J2 DB2 J2 stuff that I've been doing which has a gap in it that can be backdashed,

I have trouble dealing with backdashes personally, especially of characters like Batman and Catwoman who have great backdashes.

Mandolore1123

Can be backdashed by everyone I believe. I've noticed people are picking up on J2 DB2 J2 stuff that I've been doing which has a gap in it that can be backdashed,

I have trouble dealing with backdashes personally, especially of characters like Batman and Catwoman who have great backdashes.
Have you tried j2~db2~1? Raptor uses that as an example in his float mixup video

Mandolore1123

Yea unless I'm doing it late or something but it doesn't feel like it. It's guaranteed but immunity frames or armour chew it up.
What do you mean? If you’re doing it on your opponent’s wake-up, then won’t their invincibility frames/ armour on the wake-up attack beat that regardless? I thought you meant off a jump-in.

Cursa

What do you mean? If you’re doing it on your opponent’s wake-up, then won’t their invincibility frames/ armour on the wake-up attack beat that regardless? I thought you meant off a jump-in.

Yeah like you can do a J2 -> DB2 -> J1 or some other jump attack but they can backdash or MB B3 since there is a gap between either of the jump attacks. This is in the neutral btw, I don't think I'd be game to do it as oki.

Mandolore1123

Yeah like you can do a J2 -> DB2 -> J1 or some other jump attack but they can backdash or MB B3 since there is a gap between either of the jump attacks. This is in the neutral btw, I don't think I'd be game to do it as oki.
Coming off of Raptor’s video on this topic, he did not mention any thing about the opponent backdashing or MBb3ing the pressure, so I don’t know. Maybe cancel into j3 if you read a backdash?

Cursa

Coming off of Raptor’s video on this topic, he did not mention any thing about the opponent backdashing or MBb3ing the pressure, so I don’t know. Maybe cancel into j3 if you read a backdash?

J3 works against some but not all characters I think, like CW and Batman can get out of it I think.

Mandolore1123

J3 works against some but not all characters I think, like CW and Batman can get out of it I think.
I honestly haven’t integrated this enough into my game plan enough to know I’m sorry. I tend to just use J3 since his j2 is so crap that it whiffs on crouching opponents :(

Cursa

I honestly haven’t integrated this enough into my game plan enough to know I’m sorry. I tend to just use J3 since his j2 is so crap that it whiffs on crouching opponents :(

I haven't fought a whole lot of people who backdash it but when they do it kinda sucks. Especially since Atom can't really combo off his J3 if it his at max range (he can but it's pretty hard imo).

Mandolore1123

I haven't fought a whole lot of people who backdash it but when they do it kinda sucks. Especially since Atom can't really combo off his J3 if it his at max range (he can but it's pretty hard imo).
I believe he can using f212 but I may be wrong. I’m really sorry since I can’t let myself play or else I’m definitely failing my exams. I can only speculate from memory.
Actually, you could try cancelling into trait after the jump normal, they probably cannot back dash and the armour on MBb3 will just get destroyed by Mr Choi flying behind them

Cursa

I believe he can using f212 but I may be wrong. I’m really sorry since I can’t let myself play or else I’m definitely failing my exams. I can only speculate from memory.
Actually, you could try cancelling into trait after the jump normal, they probably cannot back dash and the armour on MBb3 will just get destroyed by Mr Choi flying behind them

Oh yeah that's answers for each of their options, but it's way less free than I originally thought.

Or I am just wrong and need to get some gud.

Mandolore1123

Does Atom need any balance changes? I know he’s done well in tournaments, so he may be just fine as he is. What do you all think?

Cursa

Does Atom need any balance changes? I know he’s done well in tournaments, so he may be just fine as he is. What do you all think?
Probs not. People might say he needs nerfs but he definitely has his weaknesses and his damage output is low compared to the rest of the cast.