What's new

Atom General discussion

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
I think it’s like the Hellboy glitch that I do not know if they patched out, where he could bypass certain wake ups since the hurt box on his arm was missing, but in Atom’s case it’s the reverse, where the projectile hit box doesn’t come out at the start of the move at the top of the gun

Sent from my iPad using Test Your Might
Yeah, it's like the opposite of that lmao it's so annoying since I am guilty on occasion of doing wakeup BF1 MB to catch people mistiming meaties and then it just whiffs and I cry.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Yeah, it's like the opposite of that lmao it's so annoying since I am guilty on occasion of doing wakeup BF1 MB to catch people mistiming meaties and then it just whiffs and I cry.
I think it’s worse when I try b1~bf1MB and the b1 hits but bf1MB whiffs :(

Cursa

So for that two chemical setup thing I did, instead of doing a second chemical you can use a blue as the first one and end in DF3 instead to get the sludge which is super plus on hit. I don't know how much but I think it's the most plus advantage he has, D1 jails so you can't backdash, MB B3, or jump out of it.

Mandolore1123

So for that two chemical setup thing I did, instead of doing a second chemical you can use a blue as the first one and end in DF3 instead to get the sludge which is super plus on hit. I don't know how much but I think it's the most plus advantage he has, D1 jails so you can't backdash, MB B3, or jump out of it.
I find it hard to time the 112 after they come back from the b3 though. I also wonder about the hit advantage since it pushes them back and Atom can really only choose to continue pressure using his d1 which only combos into unsafe bf1/bf2/db1, bf1MB which is -4 but a high, or use his 10f mid 22 which is -3 or 223 with the gap into +7 if they aren’t punishing it. We can probably use b1 or b2 trait combos, but b1 into MB gun is a significant risk factor to acute myocardial infarction

Cursa

I find it hard to time the 112 after they come back from the b3 though. I also wonder about the hit advantage since it pushes them back and Atom can really only choose to continue pressure using his d1 which only combos into unsafe bf1/bf2/db1, bf1MB which is -4 but a high, or use his 10f mid 22 which is -3 or 223 with the gap into +7 if they aren’t punishing it. We can probably use b1 or b2 trait combos, but b1 into MB gun is a significant risk factor to acute myocardial infarction

Yeah I'll upload a video in a bit. I just post stuff because you never know what it's going to turn into.

Also I'm not sure if D1 is the only thing it jails into. Other stuff will be at least guaranteed but I'll have to test

Mandolore1123

Yeah I'll upload a video in a bit. I just post stuff because you never know what it's going to turn into.

Also I'm not sure if D1 is the only thing it jails into. Other stuff will be at least guaranteed but I'll have to test
Yeah I appreciate it a lot. I’d be trying out more stuff or playing more but I have school so I can only post my postulations according to your setups. :)

Cursa

Ok so F2 also jails which is actually pretty sick. B2 seems to jail which is 13 frames.

Mandolore1123

Ok so F2 also jails which is actually pretty sick. B2 seems to jail which is 13 frames.
I guess that could mean b21~trait into metre build and mixups at the end. Though I am concerned in the long run when people will be able to block the overheads which is -5 and if we cancel out will guarantee a punish no matter what way we try to get out of trait.

Cursa

Anyways here's that video. I'm the Superman trying to poke out with D1 and trying to backdash and it doesn't work. Didn't work with B2 either but I didn't include it in the video.

Cursa

You can also do it with green chemical for chip damage setup but you're only like +2 or something really small. It can be backdashed and MB B3'd, which you can counter but it's pretty character specific (aka can you catch the backdash or low profile the B3 with trait etc.)

Finding it hard to get hard knockdowns as Atom. Seems B213 string is his only hard knockdown (I think the notation is right) or background bounces, both of which are kind of situational.

Mandolore1123

It seems really expensive though. Since Atom can’t really capitalise off plus frames effective due to his stubby and weak normals. How are your results using this in actual matches?

Cursa

It seems really expensive though. Since Atom can’t really capitalise off plus frames effective due to his stubby and weak normals. How are your results using this in actual matches?

Haven't done any matches today, been in the lab lol. You could try and use it for trait pressure using B21xx4 for chip damage and trait mixups. They might try and disrespect it and grant you a full combo using either trait or more meter. J3 catches a lot of backdashes so you could do mixups off of that.

It is very meter intensive for not a lot though, it's just really hard to make use of blue chemical in setups. Kinda makes sense once I realised how amazing it is on hit. Gives you so much time to hit confirm or do whatever you want.

Mandolore1123

Haven't done any matches today, been in the lab lol. You could try and use it for trait pressure using B21xx4 for chip damage and trait mixups. They might try and disrespect it and grant you a full combo using either trait or more meter. J3 catches a lot of backdashes so you could do mixups off of that.

It is very meter intensive for not a lot though, it's just really hard to make use of blue chemical in setups. Kinda makes sense once I realised how amazing it is on hit. Gives you so much time to hit confirm or do whatever you want.
I think the value of the blue chemical lies entirely on adding the catalyst and turning it into a projectile, which is plus on block too I think, and can trap the opponent for a very long time. It does drain meter by itself, but if you’re trying to combo someone, then it’s not really too effective since they gain lots of meter when getting hit. Don’t know for sure though. In the corner I’m using the red chemical a lot to stop jumps, or green one for damage, but blue one is always due to an input error lol

Cursa

I think the value of the blue chemical lies entirely on adding the catalyst and turning it into a projectile, which is plus on block too I think, and can trap the opponent for a very long time. It does drain meter by itself, but if you’re trying to combo someone, then it’s not really too effective since they gain lots of meter when getting hit. Don’t know for sure though. In the corner I’m using the red chemical a lot to stop jumps, or green one for damage, but blue one is always due to an input error lol

It is indeed plus on block, more so the further away apart you are from the opponent. It can work in some sort of situational things like where you are about a bar ahead and they're probably in a good position to clash, or air tech etc etc. If you combo someone while they're on blue it's more like their meter doesn't move tbh.

I don't really like using it as a zoning tool since it's so slow. 33 frame startup just for the chemical if I remember, not including the catalyst. I nearly always end combo's with it though just to have it there, I think it's the best one in that regard.

It just seems like a low projectile that's massively plus on hit and block which moves by itself would have a lot more tech, y'know?

Mandolore1123

It is indeed plus on block, more so the further away apart you are from the opponent. It can work in some sort of situational things like where you are about a bar ahead and they're probably in a good position to clash, or air tech etc etc. If you combo someone while they're on blue it's more like their meter doesn't move tbh.

I don't really like using it as a zoning tool since it's so slow. 33 frame startup just for the chemical if I remember, not including the catalyst. I nearly always end combo's with it though just to have it there, I think it's the best one in that regard.

It just seems like a low projectile that's massively plus on hit and block which moves by itself would have a lot more tech, y'know?
I end combos with it too, especially midscreen ones with f212 to set up zoning since it pushes them full screen and then you set up something that they have to deal with, which is the blue chemical crawling towards them. Sure they can jump it, but then you can bf1 them or stomp. It also means that 112~bf1MB, db3b, 3~df3, b3, ji2, f212~db3f~df3 builds around half a bar of meter, which is nice for Atom’s zoning and eventually when you get them into the corner for MBf3 combos that do 340 damage into red chemical +5 setups.

Perhaps there is more tech to be discovered. Though I’m just a scrub so I sacrifice optimal stuff for super consistency just because I’m busy with school so I’d rather play more matches than spend 3 hours practicing unless I’m on holidays. I’m really appreciating the work you’re putting in though. Nice work mate :)

Cursa

I end combos with it too, especially midscreen ones with f212 to set up zoning since it pushes them full screen and then you set up something that they have to deal with, which is the blue chemical crawling towards them. Sure they can jump it, but then you can bf1 them or stomp. It also means that 112~bf1MB, db3b, 3~df3, b3, ji2, f212~db3f~df3 builds around half a bar of meter, which is nice for Atom’s zoning and eventually when you get them into the corner for MBf3 combos that do 340 damage into red chemical +5 setups.

Perhaps there is more tech to be discovered. Though I’m just a scrub so I sacrifice optimal stuff for super consistency just because I’m busy with school so I’d rather play more matches than spend 3 hours practicing unless I’m on holidays. I’m really appreciating the work you’re putting in though. Nice work mate :)

I don't really both with the super optimal stuff, Atom needs to be landing every hit of the combo in order to make the most of the few openings he gets, so I'd rather get 10 less damage 100% of the time rather than get full damage 80% of the time.

I like doing blue chemical as an ender since I believe it guarantees a stomp. I know it does for sure if they tech roll, since you can do that one unblock able combo using MB blue chemical and MB stomp (2 bars but it's fun to do). Blocked blue chemical and blocked stomp is about half a bar if I remember correctly.

I'm on holidays for the moment but will be going back to uni soon (part time though) or maybe doing a full-time job. Hope there's some low-key Atom players hiding about that can contribute too.

Mandolore1123

I don't really both with the super optimal stuff, Atom needs to be landing every hit of the combo in order to make the most of the few openings he gets, so I'd rather get 10 less damage 100% of the time rather than get full damage 80% of the time.

I like doing blue chemical as an ender since I believe it guarantees a stomp. I know it does for sure if they tech roll, since you can do that one unblock able combo using MB blue chemical and MB stomp (2 bars but it's fun to do). Blocked blue chemical and blocked stomp is about half a bar if I remember correctly.

I'm on holidays for the moment but will be going back to uni soon (part time though) or maybe doing a full-time job. Hope there's some low-key Atom players hiding about that can contribute too.
Unfortunately. I’ve yet to have a match where I can actually use the 22/112 into a full combo, so I’m starved for meter a lot. I know I can probably punish stuff from teleport, but people can poke out of 112 so I just back off. If I do get a full combo it’s from trait or a punish from f212 since it leads to more damage. Guess I just need to be more conscious since I’m too used to my f1 punishes as a BA main lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Test Your Might

Mandolore1123

Can Atom jail normals off his J3 or only after j2?

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
Pardon my noobiness but I’m trying to get back into this game again after a pretty significant absence and Atom is fun as hell, so can anyone give me a brief synopsis of his trait?

I know he’s got the low with 3 and the instant overhead with j3, he’s got the two strings that mix (223 and 213 I think), and he can throw to get out of it safely, but that’s about it. What I still need to know is how to just corner carry on hit without switching directions, what’s the max damage juggle to do off a hit, etc.

Cursa

Pardon my noobiness but I’m trying to get back into this game again after a pretty significant absence and Atom is fun as hell, so can anyone give me a brief synopsis of his trait?

I know he’s got the low with 3 and the instant overhead with j3, he’s got the two strings that mix (223 and 213 I think), and he can throw to get out of it safely, but that’s about it. What I still need to know is how to just corner carry on hit without switching directions, what’s the max damage juggle to do off a hit, etc.
Well I'm still getting used to doing max damage in trait, at least in the corner, but usually mid screen your objective once you've gotten a hit is to corner carry and get out of trait safely. You can switch sides mid combo by doing a 1 in midair while juggling in order to make corner carry easier. If you watch Grr at Winter Brawl you'll see him do this a far few times as Atom, I think it also might increase the damage a wee bit.

I think Raptor's video on Atom trait combo's is still the highest damage in the corner IIRC but it was confusing af for me and I was lazy to learn it. I think it involved using 1 as a hit since 12 hits faster than 22, so you can get more hits I think? Idk he had a video on it if you were set to learn it. Also try and leave trait while the opponent is still in the air so they can't punish you with a wakeup.

Mandolore1123

Well I'm still getting used to doing max damage in trait, at least in the corner, but usually mid screen your objective once you've gotten a hit is to corner carry and get out of trait safely. You can switch sides mid combo by doing a 1 in midair while juggling in order to make corner carry easier. If you watch Grr at Winter Brawl you'll see him do this a far few times as Atom, I think it also might increase the damage a wee bit.

I think Raptor's video on Atom trait combo's is still the highest damage in the corner IIRC but it was confusing af for me and I was lazy to learn it. I think it involved using 1 as a hit since 12 hits faster than 22, so you can get more hits I think? Idk he had a video on it if you were set to learn it. Also try and leave trait while the opponent is still in the air so they can't punish you with a wakeup.
Just wanted to add a bit more. Atom’s trait hits in different directions depending on the distance the Atom is from the opponent. If he is at a long distance away (ie at starting screen distance) then trait is a great tool for corner carry in which he consistently travels in one direction. However, if you begin your trait combo right next to your opponent, you will go through the opponent and the second hit will return you to your original position assuming you’re doing the 22 combo.
On hit, I find it helpful to count in pairs of hits starting from his first grounded 2. I usually only use the 22 combo and don’t care too much about the side-switching since I suck at execution. For example, if I start a trait combo at the starting screen (ie trait on the GROUND and into 22...) I will count the reps of 22s that I can do. Usually it’s 6 reps, so 12 hits (hence my button presses will be 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22~4) Of course, doing all 6 reps is not good for Atom. However, the general plan is to count your hits. It’s good to just experiment in training mode to see how the starting distance of your combos affect the gravity, usually I end it at 4-5 reps so I know I can cancel out of trait somewhat safely. Even if Atom get his first hit in the air, I still like to count my reps from the first GROUNDED 2 I do, just for consistency, though you’ll have to adjust according to the gravity how many reps you are doing. Balance between damage output and safety and ease of execution.
Now for how to end his trait combos. Midscreen usually I just end in grounded 2, you’re safe but you can’t recover fast enough to do anything for oki, especially if your opponent has a wake up that is fast and covers a long distance. However, if you see that your opponent is in the corner, always trade the last rep of 22 into 13, this gives more damage and a HKD in which you can actually do MBf3 to destroy some wakeups, which of course leads to your setups in the corner. Alternatively, you can do 1223 as a corner ender for the same effect. However, if you happen to move into the corner early in your trait combo, it is good to change the 22 reps into 11 reps. However, be careful since the timing is different and you can do less reps for 11 than you can for 22. The most you can do is (assuming you’re right next to the opponent in the corner) 11, 11, 11, 11, 13~4. The payoff is greatly increased damage. Trait combos are a valuable source of damage especially in the corner. Raptor posted a video with Atom doing up to 600 damage using chemicals and trait. Even with a simplified version, off a MBf3 I can hit past 400 on Superman (MBf3, 3~4, 11, 11, 13~4). His trait is also his main source of damage anywhere on the screen, so it is up to the player to decide how he/she should invest trait in different aspects of gameplay (punishing pressure, damage, anti-zoning, etc)

Hope this helps :)

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
Thanks, guys! Good to know the whole side switch vs corner carry thing is spacing dependent, and all that other info is a huge help too. Class acts, you Atom players!