What's new

Atom General discussion

Espio

Back To Basics
Lead Moderator
Really enjoying him so far. I just suck so I'm really not qualified to give any useful stuff. Though his character forums have been awfully quiet these days :/
I feel like a lot of this has to do with his simplicity.

You see a really effective style of play for him that doesn't require a lot of extra flare and pazazz and since that isn't required there's not a whole lot to really discuss as a result.

That's my take on observing a lot of good Atoms and playing/labbing him.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
I guess that’s true. What does everyone think of his s2? Should we be going for it more since s1 is a high and ppl can mash d2? It seems to have decent range and can still lead into a combo for around 310 damage. And 22 is -3 and 112 is -7. So it’s a much safer option.

Sent from my iPhone using Test Your Might

kcd117

Noob
223 is great for pressure, the gap opens a lot of mindgames and some characters can't really do much to stop you from doing that without taking risks.

kcd117

Noob
I was messing with atom yesterday and found that for 2 bars he can set up a midscreen + 50/50 or a + restand on the green cloud.

I was trying to upload the clip but my ps4 won't upload to yt anymore for no reason so I'll try to explain.

After mb atomizer midscreen u drop a red chemical and b3 them, then u dash under and hit them with a s1 as soon as they switch sides with u and follow up with a s3 into bf2mb. They will be standing right on top of the red puddle and won't be able to jump or backdash out of it. After u hit them with the bf2mb, take a step back and jump in with ji2. From there u decide if u want to cancel j2 into float for a quick overhead with j1 that links into 11 catalyst, which is + and launches for a combo, or if u want to do j2 into a b1 catalystfor the same results. U can even do j2 into late float, land, and go straight into b1 to mess with people's timings.

The poison cloud steup I find very interesting bc it can set up a throw for over 220 dmg! U do the same combo as the last setup, but using green chemical instead. But after u hit the bf2mb part walk up and do 11xx catalyst. This seems to leave you arround +2 on their face. Masher's are gonna try to poke you out of it and you'll beat their d1 with d1 mb atomizer for free, after they respect it you can go for a throw which will do massive dmg as they are standing on the green cloud. If they start backdashing it you can make a hard read and go straight into mb atomizer or f2. You can also into b12 trait to keep them blocking you in the green cloud which will make their hp melt.

The inputs for the combo are

starter into bf1mb db3 b3 dash foward s1 s3bf2mb.

Mandolore1123

I was messing with atom yesterday and found that for 2 bars he can set up a midscreen + 50/50 or a + restand on the green cloud.

I was trying to upload the clip but my ps4 won't upload to yt anymore for no reason so I'll try to explain.

After mb atomizer midscreen u drop a red chemical and b3 them, then u dash under and hit them with a s1 as soon as they switch sides with u and follow up with a s3 into bf2mb. They will be standing right on top of the red puddle and won't be able to jump or backdash out of it. After u hit them with the bf2mb, take a step back and jump in with ji2. From there u decide if u want to cancel j2 into float for a quick overhead with j1 that links into 11 catalyst, which is + and launches for a combo, or if u want to do j2 into a b1 catalystfor the same results. U can even do j2 into late float, land, and go straight into b1 to mess with people's timings.

The poison cloud steup I find very interesting bc it can set up a throw for over 220 dmg! U do the same combo as the last setup, but using green chemical instead. But after u hit the bf2mb part walk up and do 11xx catalyst. This seems to leave you arround +2 on their face. Masher's are gonna try to poke you out of it and you'll beat their d1 with d1 mb atomizer for free, after they respect it you can go for a throw which will do massive dmg as they are standing on the green cloud. If they start backdashing it you can make a hard read and go straight into mb atomizer or f2. You can also into b12 trait to keep them blocking you in the green cloud which will make their hp melt.

The inputs for the combo are

starter into bf1mb db3 b3 dash foward s1 s3bf2mb.
Any tips on landing the b3 after I drop the chemical? I always seem to input it too late. Is there a way to know when I can do the inputs? Like any visual cues?

It works. Inconsistent like aqua mans b3 off of scoop now. The key is throwing out the red chemical pit as early as possible. But you’re spending 2 bars for a 50 50 with not that much initial damage.

Mandolore1123

To be fair I'd rather get the 290 something damage from the bf1MB into blue chemical to build meter and continue zoning and wait for my trait so I can go in. Atom's damage is extremely potent in the corner, though finding ways to lock people down in the corner is still an issue since some characters can straight up punish you for putting down chemicals after a combo or just wakeup out of your setups. I'm sad he doesn't have a HKD string to at least guarantee a puddle :(

Mandolore1123

oh yeah can we do 22 into stomp the same way that 112 stomp works to get plus frames?

EDIT: scratch that, I'm stupid, 22 leaves your further away from the opponent so I guess it's harder to enforce the plus frames.

kcd117

Noob
It works. Inconsistent like aqua mans b3 off of scoop now. The key is throwing out the red chemical pit as early as possible. But you’re spending 2 bars for a 50 50 with not that much initial damage.
Both setups do arround 50%, the main combo does arround 20/25% depending on the starter you use, I personally like sacrifice a bit of dmg to do some confusing setups that keep the opponent guessing since his output is already not that high (30/35% average) and he builds a lot of bar pretty fast.

Any tips on landing the b3 after I drop the chemical? I always seem to input it too late. Is there a way to know when I can do the inputs? Like any visual cues?
To get the chemicals after atomizer before a hitting a bounce you just need to get used to the timing, once you have it down you'll be able to get it consistently. Input the chemical as soon as atom holsters his gun, and the b3 as soon as he recovers from the chemical. It has a pretty large window, once you learn the timing of the chemical you will never miss the b3/f3 bc you'll have plenty of time to hit the b3. Just learn first how to get the atomizer into chemical with the least possible delay and the rest will be easy.

Mandolore1123

Both setups do arround 50%, the main combo does arround 20/25% depending on the starter you use, I personally like sacrifice a bit of dmg to do some confusing setups that keep the opponent guessing since his output is already not that high (30/35% average) and he builds a lot of bar pretty fast.

To get the chemicals after atomizer before a hitting a bounce you just need to get used to the timing, once you have it down you'll be able to get it consistently. Input the chemical as soon as atom holsters his gun, and the b3 as soon as he recovers from the chemical. It has a pretty large window, once you learn the timing of the chemical you will never miss the b3/f3 bc you'll have plenty of time to hit the b3. Just learn first how to get the atomizer into chemical with the least possible delay and the rest will be easy.
What are your main ways of building meter outside of zoning? I know if they block trait you can build a decent amount just by them blocking. But I guess I really should do more 22s in my games.

kcd117

Noob
His zoning tools are the best way to build meter, a blocked stomp gives you a huge chunk of a bar.
For pressure I really like to use 22 and 223 to condition the opponent, 223 has a big ass gap but once you start doing 22 d3 (which makes most poke attempts in the game whiff), 22 d1 atomizer to punish people trying to punish u with highs, 22 block to bait d2 attempts, 22mbf3, 22 neutral jump, 2 throw, 2 d3... once you start to mix all the options they'll start to respect 223, which is hella +, from there you can go for throws or keep looping and mixing the pressure.

Mandolore1123

Great! Though it’s so hard to get the d1~bf1 for me. Somehow I can get it really consistently on the player two side but not on the player one side :(

Mandolore1123

223 is great for pressure, the gap opens a lot of mindgames and some characters can't really do much to stop you from doing that without taking risks.
I have another question. At what point do you throw out s2? since in this game everyone else pretty much has a move that is longer-reaching than Atom's normals. Jumping in is risky due to the threat of anti-airs and his d3 is great and low-profiles and has better range no I'll comfortably stay in d3 range low-profiling all your stuff and knocking you down.

kcd117

Noob
I have another question. At what point do you throw out s2? since in this game everyone else pretty much has a move that is longer-reaching than Atom's normals. Jumping in is risky due to the threat of anti-airs and his d3 is great and low-profiles and has better range no I'll comfortably stay in d3 range low-profiling all your stuff and knocking you down.
Usually after a knockdown when I wanna apply some pressure, or after I hit a counterpoke, but most times I do it after I get a trait 34 knockdown since I don't have time to back away or go for a setup most of times so I just start the s2 pressure.

Mandolore1123

Usually after a knockdown when I wanna apply some pressure, or after I hit a counterpoke, but most times I do it after I get a trait 34 knockdown since I don't have time to back away or go for a setup most of times so I just start the s2 pressure.
Thanks! I'll try to use s2 more often then.

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
So not sure if this was known or if it's some gimmick, but I think Atom has something like a 25/25/25/25 I think

So basically, it starts of a J2 or J1, whatever you happen to land (I've only found this from neutral by the way).
You can then either do:
B12 when you land (Low option)
DB2 J2 before you land (Overhead option)

After this, you can combine your trait in with it and use either the J3 or S3 for another overhead or low mixup, where the low also combos.

So you can do:
J2 DB2 J2 4(Air) 3 for an Overhead -> Overhead -> Overhead option
J2 B12 4(Air) 3 for an Overhead -> Low -> Overhead option
J2 DB2 J2 4 3 for an Overhead -> Overhead -> Low option
J2 B12 4 3 for an Overhead -> Low -> Low option.

I believe the double overhead into Overhead/Low from trait might be fuzzyable since it more depends on whether you activate trait in the air or on the ground since if you do it in the air it takes a long ass time to hit the ground so the low option becomes available. You can do something like land on the ground and do instant J3 for a quick overhead but then it becomes a lot easier to poke out of.

Anyway the real reason I think it's fuzzyable is because they can see whether you do it in the air or on the ground really easily. B12 is a lot less fuzzyable I think
Gonna do more testing because it seems pretty good considering that two of these options also combo (both low enders) and the overhead enders leave you in trait anyway so yea.

Edit - Can also be done off of J3 but feels a bit wonky if they get hit by the initial J3

Mandolore1123

Great find! Though I wonder how hard/easy it is to land a ji2 since his arms are quite stubby. I know his float mixups are great maybe I just suck :(

Cursa

Great find! Though I wonder how hard/easy it is to land a ji2 since his arms are quite stubby. I know his float mixups are great maybe I just suck :(

Yea I just added a quick edit since it's pretty hard to do J2 if they're crouching - they just go right under it. J3 works significantly better but is really wonky to combo off of at all, let alone if you committed to either option since both just whiff off a J3

That's only if they get hit by the J3 though, if they don't it is much easier to do

Mandolore1123

Yea I just added a quick edit since it's pretty hard to do J2 if they're crouching - they just go right under it. J3 works significantly better but is really wonky to combo off of at all, let alone if you committed to either option since both just whiff off a J3

That's only if they get hit by the J3 though, if they don't it is much easier to do
Is the difference between using j1 and j2 only in damage? Since I remember Raptor’s video on the float mixups used j1 after float and not j2

Cursa

Is the difference between using j1 and j2 only in damage? Since I remember Raptor’s video on the float mixups used j1 after float and not j2

I'm not too sure, I didn't test the damage part. I believe all the jump ins scale differently so using J1 maybe be better in some cases.

Like for Darkseid for example, a combo off of stomp is B3 J3 J2 DB3. which does more damage than B3 J2 J3 DB3

Cursa

Okie dokie you can guarantee it off of a combo that ends in the MB blue sludge AKA DB DB3F DF3 MB if I remember my notations correctly.

Basically you just time it just as the restand ends so it doesn't combo and then do your J2/J3/J1. Probably chose from them in that order.

Cat woman can't D2 out of it and gets punished for trying to. Backdash works but is almost certainly a cat woman thing, I don't see a lot of characters being able to but I could be wrong.

Can be kind of guaranteed off of BF2 MB which is significantly easier to do but you either have to use J3 or take a step back which makes you a lot more susceptible to being anti aired (Superman does it pretty easily with his pretty average D2).

Edit - Well shit Green Lantern can backdash out of it pretty easily it seems so yea

Edit 2 - Nevermind he can't D2 it OR backdash it if timed correctly so seems pretty MU specific.

Mandolore1123

I think I put a link to a YT video with something similar in the combo thread. The restand was done in the corner and he did a j2 to get hit advantage and then did the j2 float

Cursa

At the moment I'm doing a string into BF1 MB DB3F B3 DF3 MB into whatever

Using BF2 would be alright in against some characters who have pretty poor anti-airs but against someone like Catwoman, Flash, Captain Cold or Brainiac I'd probably go for the lower damage but better plus frames of the sludge.

J3 solves like all these problems but if the opponent gets hit by a J3 and you commit to either float of B12 it'll whiff completely and you'll have wasted the bar.

Mandolore1123

Nice! Thanks :) He’s so meter intensive for his setups