What's new

Match Footage ATL Redd's Smoke

arydious

Noob
ATL Redd, played a damn good smoke. He hit those resets about all the time, to bad they arte leaving soon. I already started training myself out of them.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Someone dig up ATL Redd vs Chris G in the recent Atlanta tourney. Trust me, this match was even better and had alot more hype.

McNasty

Moist.
Very well played by Redd made good use of the resets as well as the ambiguous smoke tele in the corner. Seems like he spent some time in the lab since his great matches with Chris G. Interesting that THTB chose baraka over reptile in that match would like to hear more on that.

kandehbar

The Gryphon
Yeah his smoke was good,
The only thing I didnt see was invisibility, its really effective but noone seems to use it, i guess more damage > mindgame footsies

arydious

Noob
Yeah his smoke was good,
The only thing I didnt see was invisibility, its really effective but noone seems to use it, i guess more damage > mindgame footsies
realistically there are enough mind games with smoke before invis. I really dont ever see a reason to go invisible, because the people generally just rush in to turn you normal again or wait it out. Not to mention you have to spend a bar to be fully invisible its just not worth it in my opinion.

kandehbar

The Gryphon
realistically there are enough mind games with smoke before invis. I really dont ever see a reason to go invisible, because the people generally just rush in to turn you normal again or wait it out. Not to mention you have to spend a bar to be fully invisible its just not worth it in my opinion.
exactly, you want to force predictable options so you can adjust accordingly

you get a free invisibility after forward throw, so why not use it? especially since after the last patch you cant whiff the teleport after it anymore (if they techroll you will hit block)

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
That was some picture perfect Smoke play, very nice. He hit those resets like a fucking pro, I loved it.

I actually held my tongue about the Redd v. Chris G match because I felt the smoke play was weak and sloppy and didn't want to talk shit.

However, after seeing this, props & respect to ATL Redd for repping Smoke at a high level. Good stuff.

EDIT: Redd pulling THTB out of the air with NORMAL smoke bomb is the most baller shit I've ever seen, btw.

SZSR

Noob
ATL_Redd's Smoke is just boss, I hate though Tom Brady exposing some of Smoke's weaknesses, you already can block high most of his stuff, you don't need to expose what he has left.

His reset landing was freaking supreme, he almost always had the life lead on THTB's Baraka. It's a shame that it's getting taken out because that damage is what keeps Smoke competitive.

ATL_Redd's Smoke is just boss, I hate though Tom Brady exposing some of Smoke's weaknesses, you already can block high most of his stuff, you don't need to expose what he has left.

His reset landing was freaking supreme, he almost always had the life lead on THTB's Baraka. It's a shame that it's getting taken out because that damage is what keeps Smoke competitive.
nah smoke is good enough without the resets

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Tom Brady exposing some of Smoke's weaknesses, you already can block high most of his stuff, you don't need to expose what he has left.
While Brady might be right that you can jump out between b23 and smoke bomb, it shouldn't matter because we should already be hit confirming b23 into smoke drift on block.

b23 is inherently risky and there isn't anything you can do to make it totally safe. drift makes it safer, but not entirely.

ATL redd's smoke was godlike. Those resets were perfect. If they take smokes damage out I'm really not sure if he'll be tournament viable. Smoke has to work very hard at a high level to get damage on the opponent.

Tom Brady seems to think that Smoke is top tier. His reset really does need to go though. But honestly his damage is right where it should be, 2 full combos = 84% plus one defensive jk xx air throw is 16 (right? or is it 14? brainfart :[ ) so that's pretty much a kill for smoke. You just need to punish three mistakes with combos to win! Just like everyone else on the cast <________<

i'm not bitter

arydious

Noob
you get a free invisibility after forward throw, so why not use it? especially since after the last patch you cant whiff the teleport after it anymore (if they techroll you will hit block)
I have never really felt it needed to be put in but, I am going to take your word and try to establish it. Tom Brady said in his bradycast after devastation everyone needs to stop crying for nerfs on characters and figure out how to abuse your character so maybe ill find something.

As far as the reset goes, I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love it because it is epic and powerful, and a good smoke should be able to hit it almost all the time. I hate it because I feel so dirty when I land it first combo of the game or, i have the person locked into the corner. I have gotten to the point where i dont use a reset. I know many people will say why, but im just training for when smoke no longer has it. I really dont think it will effect smokes position in the tier when it is gone

SZSR

Noob
nah smoke is good enough without the resets
He is, but as Cyrax and Jax have their silliness, it makes him competitive with them. But yeah, i'm sure he's good without it, but as long as the silliness is there, he doesn't really have advantage damage-wise.
While Brady might be right that you can jump out between b23 and smoke bomb, it shouldn't matter because we should already be hit confirming b23 into smoke drift on block.

b23 is inherently risky and there isn't anything you can do to make it totally safe. drift makes it safer, but not entirely.
Oh yeah. I used to do that but for some reason I took it out of my game... Thanks for correcting me, I need to think about adding this to my tech.

That's been true since before the patch.... After your first forward throw, you want to test them by using smoke toward instead of whiffed TP to see if they techroll. If they don't, they're still in range of B+2, and next time you can whiff a tp. If they do, they're in range for a B+2 or sweep mixup.

0 reason to use invisibility. You get poked out of it pretty much every time unless you use a setup that sacrifices damage which isn't at all worth it.

kandehbar

The Gryphon
the reason why he like always hit the resets is cause when he did f4 he hit the wall, it you with wall off of f4 its alomost a guaranteed reset,
I thought Tony-T put that in his video

But yeh man Alt redds smoke is pretty baller but still though that invis is godlike

sumkindofdemon

Laughing Man
ATL Redd, played a damn good smoke. He hit those resets about all the time, to bad they arte leaving soon. I already started training myself out of them.
is that true? cuz i thot they said they werent coming out with anymore patches for a while. unless im mistake, cuz me playing smoke im having hard times sometimes cuz most of my shit is high, be a damn shame if we lost the resets too. T.T maybe im not just doin it right

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
is that true? cuz i thot they said they werent coming out with anymore patches for a while. unless im mistake, cuz me playing smoke im having hard times sometimes cuz most of my shit is high, be a damn shame if we lost the resets too. T.T maybe im not just doin it right
They're still supposed to be coming out (NRS is going to attempt a hot fix) but as far as I know they're still in, so get your fill while you still can.

arydious

Noob
Yeah its true. To land the reset just make sure the guy is low to the ground before you hit f4. It does not require a fancy setup or anything like we all originally thought. You can smoke bomb and wait for the f4 and do the reset. Just learn where the person needs to be and you will get it all the time. I honestly dont even think about it now when i do it, it actually hard as hell for me to break, but im trying to come up with other things to do.

I am also curious how they are going to fix it, they will either fix it in a way to still have some form of reset or completely break smoke while doing it. I really hope they dont change smoke to much though, he is a solid character in this game.

Also as KT said get your fill of resets while you can!