What's new

Question Ask Smoke Thread - Have Any Question? Post It Here!

Kevlang

Noob
Lately, I've been dealing with my match desyncing almost 50% of the time that I do a jumpkick/airthrow in King of the Hill.

This has never been a problem until the last few days that I've started playing with some new friends.

Any ideas what could be causing the problem?

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 using Tapatalk

Somnuse

Noob
The 1,2,3,4 button convention goes from left to right, top to bottom.

So X = 1, Y = 2, A = 3, and B = 4.

You should really watch some videos to get you up to speed. They will help you a lot, but become familiar with the button configuration. Other than that, dig up some old threads and do some research. There's a wealth of information in this site. That being said, feel free to ask me anything specifically and I will answer it.

The airthrow is a common bug, I have it aswell, the game crashes.

What can I do as smoke to high blockers?

The only thing I can is try to bait them out to a teleport or grab them, but that is really unsafe for Smoke. Should I just back out and react?

The only thing I can is try to bait them out to a teleport or grab them, but that is really unsafe for Smoke. Should I just back out and react?
If they are respecting you enough at close range to actually stand block, then you have all the freedom in the world to pressure with d4. Low hit, good damage, +12 frame advantage giving a free 214 or an almost guaranteed 3d12 (beaten only by armor). When starting out with smoke, you should always be fishing for either a d4 hit, a b23 hitconfirm, or throw. Anything other than that is vestigial and can wait until you can work smoke's guessing game well.

SunLord5

Dualshock 2 User
What would be the best anti-air on MK9 - PC online? Sometimes I do 2, 2, d4~db+2 but smoke's anti air is so height specific unlike sonya or cage. Is there a universal(always works any height same amount of hits) smoke anti-air where height that you hit them with 2 doesn't matter?

Matix218

Get over here!

That is the eternal question for Smoke mains lol but in my years of playing the character in tournament and watching other players (wafflez, gross, etc) here are my suggestions: Force them to respect D4. Smokes D4 has awesome range and it is neutral on block and +12 on hit. The frame advantage on hit is great for followup pressure/throw mixups. Also if you can condition them to expect throws after an (in range) d4 hit you can always throw out the occasional D4 xx Smokebomb and possibly catch them in a full combo (and if you have meter that could be game over for them). Also you can frustrate your opponent (specifically if you have the life lead) by doing D4 xx smoke away which will put you back at safe smokebomb range. Bottom line is that Smoke will always have to rely on pokes (D4, d3, d1) for his lows because he does not have a great low like some other characters (Liu Kang, Jax, etc) but honestly if you think about it he would be absolutely broken if he had a fast non-poke low/low combo starter. Given how good his B2 is (and how much damage smoke gets off of anything that hits) it would just be too much. Watch some youtube footage of Wafflez playing smoke and you will see how effective his D4 can be.

Matix218

Get over here!
2 > 2 > d1~sb

Frothy, I have always (for years now) been using 2, d1, d1~sb with great success (I basically never drop it and it has been really reliable for me). Plus it seems to make the execution of anti-crossup d1, d1, d1~sb (which i use for my anti crossup) easier because my muscle memory is so used to doing multiple d1's in a row. Is there any actual advantage to using 2 2 d1~sb? Or is it just a preference thing. I noticed some players use my 2, d1, d1 and other players (example Wafflez and you) use 2, 2, d1 so I figured I would ask and see if I am missing out on something that would be better lol.

poofynamanama2

SHAZAAAAAAAAM
Frothy, I have always (for years now) been using 2, d1, d1~sb with great success (I basically never drop it and it has been really reliable for me). Plus it seems to make the execution of anti-crossup d1, d1, d1~sb (which i use for my anti crossup) easier because my muscle memory is so used to doing multiple d1's in a row. Is there any actual advantage to using 2 2 d1~sb? Or is it just a preference thing. I noticed some players use my 2, d1, d1 and other players (example Wafflez and you) use 2, 2, d1 so I figured I would ask and see if I am missing out on something that would be better lol.

Its just a preference thing really. i used to do 2 d1 d1, but switched to doing 2 2 d1 as is easier for me and I dont drop it :D

I also like doing 2, 13~smoke bomb for swag purposes

If you are super confident there are better damaging alternatives. The best height dependent one that I know of is 2 dash 3d12 dash 4sb, reset. Gotta hit them high in the air though. I do 2 2 d1 out of comfort mostly

Badfulgore

Beta Tester
HI all people ! I recently practiced at 1.5 and the smoke in the air make suplex, then connect not smoke ball. I've seen videos that happens. Am I doing something wrong and if you can connect the smoke?
thanks
PD: cancel the ray x of smoke is not as effective as canceling the x ray of subzero

HI all people ! I recently practiced at 1.5 and the smoke in the air make suplex, then connect not smoke ball. I've seen videos that happens. Am I doing something wrong and if you can connect the smoke?
thanks
PD: cancel the ray x of smoke is not as effective as canceling the x ray of subzero
You cannot link a smoke bomb off of air throw anymore. that was changed a long time ago

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
How are you do you fight Jax? I've gotten bodied by everyone of them I've fought :_:
Jax is tough to fight with Smoke imo. He has pretty good ground mobility, spacing and pressure, all which make Smoke's life hell. Right off the bat you'll want to create some distance, your main goal in this match up is to build as much meter as you can via Smoke Ball at full - 3/4 screen then begin playing a physical spacing game.

Jax's dash punch is a serious threat in this match up as it advances his quite far, and is fast; it makes Smoke Ball whiff so you'll see Jax players using it a lot unless you condition them otherwise. Since dash punch has a high hitbox crouching attacks make it whiff and actually punish it. Things like sweep, D3 and D4 are great options to stuff dash punch. I personally like to use D4 to stuff dash punch and depending on the spacing of the dash punch and when you hit Jax with the D4 you can confirm into full combo (D4, D1~SB into combo).

Try and get all the meter you can by zoning, be weary of that dash punch and just play a solid fundamental spacing game. Stay around that sweet spot sweep distance where Jax will just barely hit you if he were to dash and F4 and shuffle around to try and bait it out. B2 and D4 are your usual spacing tools like always. If the Jax player is not experienced enough and lets you get free meter via Smoke ball zoning take the free meter all day.

Meter should be saved for breaker and reset like always, but in this match-up you'll also want to keep some in reserve for a possible Ex Smoke Away / Towards to escape the corner, as this is where Jax gets his big damage.

Escaping Jax's pressure comes down to reads and just good mechanical play. You're Smoke, you have no safe armor and you're not lucky enough to have a small hitbox so F413 will jail you entirely opening up a plethora of pressuring options for Jax. You're going to need to make a read and see if Jax will commit to a poke sooner or later (in which case you should block and counter poke) or if he will try and get another F413 / F3 in (in which case you should poke). A lot of Jax players will try things like F413, D3, backdash, F413 which causes your counter poke D1 to whiff (and even D3 for some characters). Like you would with any other character, if you read this simplyD4 to a) check them up during their block to cancel backdash and build space while being at neutal or b) hit them during the backdash / start up frames of the follow up F413 and you're not at +12 and able to start some pressure of your own.

That's pretty much it. If you have any further questions just keep posting guys I'm sure all of the Smoke players like Frothy, myself, Wafflez, Ribbz, etc would gladly answer. Injustice may be out but that doesn't mean we can't continue to break down MK9.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Hey guys so I'm picking up smoke and I just have a few questions:

1 - When I do the f4 and I throw an EXSmokeBomb to reset, it doesn't always land. Is the trick in the height of the opponent when the f4 lands? Like if he's too high or too low, it will miss him?

2 - Is there any point in using the XRay? Or like most other characters, just use the meter for reset and breaker?

3 - Is the best wakeup option the smoke dash since it can go through the pressure?

4 - Full invisibility, is it worth it?

Thanks in advance peeps

Gh0sty

ばかみたいに無料

1 - When I do the f4 and I throw an EXSmokeBomb to reset, it doesn't always land. Is the trick in the height of the opponent when the f4 lands? Like if he's too high or too low, it will miss him?

Yes.

2 - Is there any point in using the XRay? Or like most other characters, just use the meter for reset and breaker?

No.

3 - Is the best wakeup option the smoke dash since it can go through the pressure?

Your best wakeup option is situational. And smoke towards does not guarantee you will escape pressure.

No.

Thanks in advance peeps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thanks in advance peeps

1. Yeah, it depends on the height. You'll get the timing right with different combos with practice.

2. Hardly. It's very situational. I can't think of too good examples, and I'm still a relatively new Smoke main, so someone can correct me if I'm wrong. One example in which Smoke's x-ray becomes practical is when you're in a situation where you're getting heavily pressured and your opponent is about one x-ray away from death. Since Smoke's x-ray is his only armor, if you're fast enough you can use this to absorb one hit (and I think you get like a frame of invincibility too, not sure), and escape that pressure and do some damage. This is really hard to do in my experience, and one mistake and you're screwed.

3. I don't think I can answer that since I'm not too experienced :p

4. I don't think I can answer this either, sorry :)

Gh0sty

ばかみたいに無料
I have won all of my tournament matches with smoke's x-ray. fuck all of you, nobody expects smoke to armor. take it from the perennial 1-2 tournament finishing smoke player
Frothy....you're....alive?!?!

#ghostoffrothyomen
#carlisgdlk
#feltliketheolddays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Kevlang

Noob
1 - F4 smoke bomb reset is only reliable in certain setups. If you are on Xbox Live, add me, (Kevlang) and I would be happy to show you some.

2 - X-ray is extremely situational. It's only value that I see is in it is using armor to escape pressure and end the match.

3 - Wake-up game is dependent on your opponent. Are they mindlessly rushing you down, or respecting your wakeup attacks? It's supposed to be a guessing game so that's why there's not a certain answer for me.

4 - Full invisibility is a complete waste.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4