What's new

Question Ask Smoke Thread - Have Any Question? Post It Here!

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
What? You time the 2 so it hits them out of the air. What more is there to understand other than that? The hitbox extends very slightly past his hand, but you literally just hit them out of the air, that's all that's required. You're overthinking it.
I understand it perfectly well, I literally just want to know if there is some kind of visual cue I can follow for getting it because whenever I try, it whiffs or I get hit. Am I just being too late? Ugh, maybe I am over thinking it.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Can someone give me some advice on anti-airing with smokes d1 or standing 2? It seems like a lot of the time when I try to do this it either whiffs or I get hit by a jumping kick or punch before it comes out. Do I need to walk back and be at a certain spacing? I feel like this is the worst part of my game and if I can master AA's then I'll be a hell of a lot better.

@SZSR
@FrothyOmen
@GGA Wafflez
@RiBBz22
Standing 2 for Smoke is one of the easiest anti-airs to do in the game to be honest. The trick is that the move's hitbox is MUCH larger in the vertical direction so you should probably be doing it when your opponent is a little higher than you would with some other anti-airs. If you are whiffing it, you are doing it too early so wait until they get a bit closer to you. You can also work on using b2 as an anti-air from long range if your opponent likes to do empty jumps to move in and close the gap.

RiBBz22

So, as soon as I see the animation for them going into the air I just press 2? His 2 seems soooo quick though.
No, if you hit 2 as soon as you see the jump animation you will whiff it every single time unless they are literally right next to you when they jump. Basically another way to think about it is to prepare to anti-air as soon as you see them jump then execute it and hit them out of the air when they are next to you. Go to training mode, put the AI on medium or hard and just work on converting anti-airs when they jump at you.

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
Can someone give me some advice on anti-airing with smokes d1 or standing 2? It seems like a lot of the time when I try to do this it either whiffs or I get hit by a jumping kick or punch before it comes out. Do I need to walk back and be at a certain spacing? I feel like this is the worst part of my game and if I can master AA's then I'll be a hell of a lot better.

@SZSR
@FrothyOmen
@GGA Wafflez
@RiBBz22
Hit me up on steam ill help you with this its very ez..

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Yes he can. My advice: Do not play Sub-Zero against Smoke.

We'll try to play when I move to Germany next month.
I'll show you how this MU isn't BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD.
You'll be free.

Shots fired.
They will probably back-fire, though.

GGA Wafflez

the kid

@SZSR
@FrothyOmen
@GGA Wafflez
@RiBBz22
d1 usually beats jump punches clean, but it takes a lot of practice, missing it = u take a full damage combo. i would say if you're missing the d1 consistently or just getting beat by jump punches you are doing it too late. as for s2, that beats everything, even sonya's dive kick (if it comes out first). it's 9 frames so you should be able to anti air on reaction. it's easy to look for (their jump) because people are worried about d4 or b2. lately, i have been using b2 as an anti air more often, but it's purpose as an anti air is different from s2. it's for stopping their jumping close-mid screen, so dont use it up close hah. it's awesome to "zone" people out because it's range is nuts, it's easy to do on reaction too. if you're playing online, everything i just told you is irrelevant and you must submit to the jump ins lul

RiBBz22

d1 usually beats jump punches clean, but it takes a lot of practice, missing it = u take a full damage combo. i would say if you're missing the d1 consistently or just getting beat by jump punches you are doing it too late. as for s2, that beats everything, even sonya's dive kick (if it comes out first). it's 9 frames so you should be able to anti air on reaction. it's easy to look for (their jump) because people are worried about d4 or b2. lately, i have been using b2 as an anti air more often, but it's purpose as an anti air is different from s2. it's for stopping their jumping close-mid screen, so dont use it up close hah. it's awesome to "zone" people out because it's range is nuts, it's easy to do on reaction too. if you're playing online, everything i just told you is irrelevant and you must submit to the jump ins lul
Yeah b2 is really good from mid-range or a little further out if they are trying to jump to close the gap. But if you don't space it out right and they throw out a jump kick it will usually beat a b2 clean because the JK has way more priority than our b2.

Yeah b2 is really good from mid-range or a little further out if they are trying to jump to close the gap. But if you don't space it out right and they throw out a jump kick it will usually beat a b2 clean because the JK has way more priority than our b2.
Yeah, b2 is really good for mid-range empty jumps, especially since there is really no reason for people to be doing jumpkicsk mid-range out of nowhere.

RiBBz22

Yeah they should only really be doing it in anticipation of a b2 anti air basically.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
What are the frames for whiffing Smoke teleports? What are his options after? What is the strategy behind whiffing teleports?

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Also, what is the strategy behind ending combos in whiffed teleports and Smokeport?

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Also, what is the strategy behind ending combos in whiffed teleports and Smokeport?
Framedata: http://testyourmight.com/threads/smoke-frame-data.15527/
When you end a combo with a knockdown or if the opponent is falling you whiff the telepunch or do a smokepor to create a specific spacing from your opponent or to continue applying pressure. Sometimes if the opponent isn't expecting you to whiff a telepunch, they input the wrong inputs for a wakeup (reveresed) or they get so panicky that they try and throw out a random poke that you'll beat out or they won't do anything and you get to poke low, go for a b2, or apply 3d12 pressure. As for the smokeport, it just creates spacing and allows you to continue pressure or avoid some attacks if you ex it. Smokeport can also be used for batining wakeups or moves for you to whiff punish ie walk into there attack range then smokeport away and if they whiff a move then you punish with a smokebomb.

TL;DR - They are used for continuing/applying pressure, baiting, spacing, and footsies in general.