What's new

Ask Liu Kang, get an answer.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
How do I get out of Liu Kang's pressure when I'm getting mix-up'd faster than I can react? I've only just recently played a really good LK up-close but goddamn I had a lot of trouble. ( I main Noob Saibot and Sektor by the way, I have less problem using Reptile. )
Check out his frame data, then you can learn his pressure. Liu is neutral on a bunch of stuff, so you can poke out. It won't be guranteed, as he can jump, poke, counter-poke, etc. Here's the basic stuff:

f12 can be poked out of, but be wary of f121 and f12 into EX Lowfireball
b312 can be poked out of, watch out for a counter poke, as it's neutral on block. He can also jump afterwards.
f3 is neutral on block, and hits overhead. Not much you can about this, just watch out for it.
f4 is a somewhat slow low, neutral on block. Be careful on this one, as he gets random frame advantage if you try jump out. Tricky mixup when used with f3, as both come out somewhat slow.

Hope this helps.

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
You can also interrupt his pressure with armor. Armor in this game is just too good, shame Liu only has armor on two of his moves which are both really punishable on block.

I would love some tips on the mileena MU. Jer has been tearing my ass up with her lol.
alright the real issue is her teleport and you can really zone. So i'll give ya some help on what to do
* you can iafb with liu if you do it at the quickest speed and use that to bait teles sometimes
* your going to need to play a solid footsies game, b3,1,2 will be your friend a bunch in this match bcuz if you make mil whiff her d4, b3,1,2 will blow it up and if mil tries to d4 at the same time you b3, you'll win bcuz b3 is 10 frames and her d4 is like 12-13 frames
*If you gain a lead, make her come to you and capitalize on her mistakes. Liu has great footsies options with his standing 2 and b3, these will annoy mil to no end
*Standing 2 should be your AA of choice, and use that to punish teles after you block them
*to punish a roll you have many options such as standing 2 to full combo, back 3,1,2 to full combo, or njp to dragon stance.
* I'd use his d3 as a counterpoke vs her.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Liu shouldn't be getting in on you, lol.
this implies that it's impossible yet it's happened a fair amount of times, and me just saying that liu wins if he gets in isn't as good as finding ways out of pressure. you dig?

Lou Kang

Noob
what is liu's best anti air combo off a standing 2 or 1 anti-air....ive just been using 1,2-b3,1,2-b3,1,2 but im hoping theres somethign better out there

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
Sup guys? I'm still new to this website. I been playing MK forever. It's the 1st ever fighting game that I've played when I was 3. I've been playing ALL through the franchise every since. I had MK9 for a while to 360 & picked up a PS3 copy a few weeks ago. I plan on playing the game competitively. What better way to show it by playing alongside of others who does too. I also play DOA competitively so so far I have 2 competitive fighters for now. I'm a die hard ninja fan, but I also been a fan of certain other styles such as Liu Kang's. Which is why I decided to main him along with Kitana. Then I'll find a few sub characters. I heard he was solid in MK9 in the competitive aspect & I love that he's a fast character because the fits my motto, speed kills.

So with that said, what's the gameplan with Liu Kang? Is here offensive threat or defensive zoner? How often does get unfavorable matchups? Bnb combo threat anywhere?

AssassiN

Noob
Sup guys? I'm still new to this website. I been playing MK forever. It's the 1st ever fighting game that I've played when I was 3. I've been playing ALL through the franchise every since. I had MK9 for a while to 360 & picked up a PS3 copy a few weeks ago. I plan on playing the game competitively. What better way to show it by playing alongside of others who does too. I also play DOA competitively so so far I have 2 competitive fighters for now. I'm a die hard ninja fan, but I also been a fan of certain other styles such as Liu Kang's. Which is why I decided to main him along with Kitana. Then I'll find a few sub characters. I heard he was solid in MK9 in the competitive aspect & I love that he's a fast character because the fits my motto, speed kills.

So with that said, what's the gameplan with Liu Kang? Is here offensive threat or defensive zoner? How often does get unfavorable matchups? Bnb combo threat anywhere?
Hey there, welcome to the forums and to MK competitive scene :).
My suggestion is to check out the LK topics and read what you can. Look at matches from players to get a feel how you're supposed to play LK, definitely look at XBlades' matches.

You ask what he is?
Well he is both, he has good zoning and good pressure. The downside to LK is he has a hard time getting out of pressure, his pokes aren't as good as other characters and his hitbox is pretty damn big.

You've gotta know for each MU what to do, in most MU's he can zone and force your opponent to come to you.
When they are close he has some good footsies and good pressure. He doesn't solely rely on zoning to win MU and that's what makes him good.

He has only 2 bad MU: Kenshi and Freddy. Both at 3-7, they rape LK because they can outzone him and he has a tough time getting in and staying in.

Every other MU is either 4-6 or 5-5(pretty balanced), only a handful of MU's are in LK's favor and not by much.

He is an extremely solid character(in most untrained eyes an easy character because of his combo's) and is a balanced character.
If he would have a small hitbox with some good pokes or instant parry he would easily be a top 10 character. Right now he is just outside top 10.

JDE

Hey there, welcome to the forums and to MK competitive scene :).
My suggestion is to check out the LK topics and read what you can. Look at matches from players to get a feel how you're supposed to play LK, definitely look at XBlades' matches.

You ask what he is?
Well he is both, he has good zoning and good pressure. The downside to LK is he has a hard time getting out of pressure, his pokes aren't as good as other characters and his hitbox is pretty damn big.

You've gotta know for each MU what to do, in most MU's he can zone and force your opponent to come to you.
When they are close he has some good footsies and good pressure. He doesn't solely rely on zoning to win MU and that's what makes him good.

He has only 2 bad MU: Kenshi and Freddy. Both at 3-7, they rape LK because they can outzone him and he has a tough time getting in and staying in.

Every other MU is either 4-6 or 5-5(pretty balanced), only a handful of MU's are in LK's favor and not by much.

He is an extremely solid character(in most untrained eyes an easy character because of his combo's) and is a balanced character.
If he would have a small hitbox with some good pokes or instant parry he would easily be a top 10 character. Right now he is just outside top 10.
YES! That's what I needed to hear! I'll definitely be playing him & Kitana. Finally, I have 2 solid characters! lol.. I've searching & searching. Thanks man. I look forward to this community!

AssassiN

Noob
YES! That's what I needed to hear! I'll definitely be playing him & Kitana. Finally, I have 2 solid characters! lol.. I've searching & searching. Thanks man. I look forward to this community!
No problem.
If you have any questions, just ask.
Feel free to check out Xblades' guide to start it off.

You can try exploring the character mostly on your own, something I recommend but it would take a long time.
The best way we can help you is by you posting vids showing your LK(offline is prefered, but online will be just fine).

JDE

No problem.
If you have any questions, just ask.
Feel free to check out Xblades' guide to start it off.

You can try exploring the character mostly on your own, something I recommend but it would take a long time.
The best way we can help you is by you posting vids showing your LK(offline is prefered, but online will be just fine).
Cool! So about the unfavorables. I guess you would recommend a sub character to fight against them?

AssassiN

Noob
Cool! So about the unfavorables. I guess you would recommend a sub character to fight against them?
You can always try to study the MU and be on point.
7-3 is by no means an unwinnable MU, just means that you'll have to work harder.

You can always try picking a sub character for those characters, but what happens if you are playing a sub character against a character you really don't know the MU off? It's always better to stick with your guns, enough people have tried picking up subs for certain characters but they always go back to their main(s). Biggest example is Tom Brady.

I'm suggesting that you don't pick up a new character just for 2 MU's.
I don't think it's necessary and XBlades will agree I think