What's new

Ask Liu Kang, get an answer.

AssassiN

Noob
Does he have any high execution stuff? I only see people mash that kick punch punch combo, no idea of the input, he never interested me until recently. I wonder if he's got anything going for him because to be frank here, I've always found him lame that all you need to do is mash three buttons to get 30+ damage.
High execution stuff? Hmm, I guess you can put the IAFB's in the department since they have to be on the lowest height without doing it too fast. Linking the F2,4 after 3 B312's can be a little tricky but I wouldn't say high execution. Perhaps his corner combo's:
B312, NJP, DS+1, JK+fireball, B312, B312
This corner combo is the hardest corner combo of Liu Kang that I cannot do consistently:
b+312, NJP, DS + 1, JIK + Fireball, b+312, f+121 Bicycle kick

Never understood why having a combo where B312 is repeated is considered lame. It's the way he gets his max damage and it's not like the Liu Kang players cannot do a single other combo in this game. For example main I Skarlet as well.

His combo's are slightly easier but it's hard to truly master him. Just spamming B312 doesn't get the win.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
Does he have any high execution stuff? I only see people mash that kick punch punch combo, no idea of the input, he never interested me until recently. I wonder if he's got anything going for him because to be frank here, I've always found him lame that all you need to do is mash three buttons to get 30+ damage.
Try b312, f12, 12b1, into Bicycle Kick.

His OTG stuff in the corner that XBlades posted is pretty hard to nail, though I guess that isn't really execution.

Also, Reptile, Smoke, are somewhat three buttons as well. Oddly enough, only Liu gets the hate. :(

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
The reason why I consider such combos lame is that other characters work harder for less effect than what Liu manages to pull off. I consider inconsistency unfair. Personal opinion and I do not mean any sort of offense here.
I tried those combos, that corner combo is tricky but it's a matter of getting the rhythm down. Online is just shit for it.

AssassiN

Noob
The reason why I consider such combos lame is that other characters work harder for less effect than what Liu manages to pull off. I consider inconsistency unfair. Personal opinion and I do not mean any sort of offense here.
I tried those combos, that corner combo is tricky but it's a matter of getting the rhythm down. Online is just shit for it.
No offense taken, but people see that combo and their opinion of Liu Kang is that he is easy to play.

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
B312 Has good speed, good corner pushback, and is neutral on block. What's not to like about it? He has a lot of other really good options though. The point is opening people up with mixups that leave Liu Kang neutral or at advantage so that you open them up for corner carry or corner pressure. You really can expose the hell out of people and damn near flawless them using nothing but mixups, and I haven't really seen any other characters that can pull that off with the kind of speed he has (Except for the obvious like Sonya and Kabal of course).

Another good tool that I see is HEAVILY underused/underrated is his f+4. It really does put people on blast if you use it as a trip up tool. People tend to think it's done by mistake, try to punish it, but it actually leaves you NEUTRAL on block, or +14 advantage on hit, so you really can go to town and either whiff punish their fastest pokes. I've stuffed Katana's 6 frame poke [I think it's six frames?] and Kung Lao's Spin using this tech. I've also recently started incorporating F+43 into ENH fireball (or normal low fireball) which always gets people too, who think they can let go of block to press a button after F+4. Looks kinda like Rain's two kicks into roundhouse cancel. If the second kick hits and you shoot the fireball, the fireball follows them so you can continue pressure..

I'll find that after doing something like F+12 or 21 ENH low fireball, if they get used to the F+3 overhead coming out, I'll dash in and mix it up with a F+4 immediately followed by D+3 to open them up for almost anything because they tend to be so WTF in their reaction and at disadvantage because of the D+3 hitting, that they're open for B+312, F+3, or throw. (Or whatever else you can think of)

Stuff is really good. Another good tool is B+1 into Parry and B+312 to whiff punish pokes, F+3 overhead to catch jumps (Into F+12, B312), and you can of course do B+1 into bicycle kick which catches them if they let go of block, although it's pretty punishable so I don't really do that too much.

Instant airs are done with U/B+F1 in a really quick motion. Liu can get them so low to the ground it looks like he's still touching the ground with his toes. Hard to do consistently still for me though, still working on that.

EGP_Shoryuken I'll definitely have to try that tech out. It sounds like it may definitely help me gain some consistency with my IAFB game... Only thing holding me back from fighting Sonya IMHO is that I can't do the IAFBs fast enough to outzone her.

Finally, I like ending corner combos with B+2 B+3 which makes them splat, and then you can immediately follow up with D+3 or F+4 for a couple of options:

If F+4 catches them in the air (you can do this on reaction), you can juggle with B+312. If F+4 catches them on the ground, free mixup game. Pretty dirty. They may start to wise up and use wake up moves, but it seems that F+4 can stuff out wake up moves unless they're like, ENH Johnny Cage nutpunch or Sonya's ENH Cartwheel. Just block if you feel like it gets to that point and FCP accordingly.

After the first match with Kensou, you'll see my matches with Showtime from our last training session on the 17th where I start to apply some of this stuff. It's not quite as consistent, but the session Showtime and I had last night definitely helped with getting the things I'm talking about polished. At the time of the recording, I was more or less just figuring some of the stuff out.

Plus, I beat his Reptile and Sonya. ;P
http://www.twitch.tv/kombathouston/b/335625514
(Yes I realize now that Katana's roundhouse kick leads to the overhead)

BlackBryan

B*tch Distributor
I'll drop a little Kang swag here if it's allowed. My kang isn't the most legit in the world, but he can get some work done when need be. For the dude who said f4 was good and underused. I thought the same thing. My kang is 100% pressure. Let me get in and you won't get out without armor. 1 major tool in this boss ass pressure of mine is a f4 high or low fireball mix up. Throw it in there. You'll like it. Maybe even EX it if you like. Stagger swagger. For the dudes discussing dragon stance. I find it useful in a few places outside of a corner. When I'm on the winning end of a zoning war I like to ds+cancel a few times to try and catch a read for a free shot. I also like to ds+cancel just outside of jumping distance to catch a nice AA off a standing 1. Hate on my steeze if you will. Or steal it if you must. Just thought I'd share that.

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
I love to pressure but I feel that I'm free to crossups so maybe I'm not pressuring correctly? I like to F3 people to keep them honest too, since everyone is automatically blocking low.

I am trying to hit confirm my b312's as well, only hitting the 2 when I see the hit. It's hard but I'm getting used to it...I b312'd a NW shoulder charge last night and felt like a boss :) totally a fluke but it looked awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AssassiN

Noob
I love to pressure but I feel that I'm free to crossups so maybe I'm not pressuring correctly? I like to F3 people to keep them honest too, since everyone is automatically blocking low.

I am trying to hit confirm my b312's as well, only hitting the 2 when I see the hit. It's hard but I'm getting used to it...I b312'd a NW shoulder charge last night and felt like a boss :) totally a fluke but it looked awesome

LK is free to crossups, nothing much LK really can do.
You can time a 2 to catch them but it's really strict, other option is an EX dragon kick.

Ofcourse you can still do a NJP.

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
His uppercut is really good against crossups. They'll stop trying to jump over you if you keep smashing their lifebar in with solid damage. If they start getting predictable with crossups, use NJP.
d1 and d4's can put them in a juggle state at which point you follow up with B312. It's kinda hard to land online though.

BlackBryan

B*tch Distributor
The only answers ive found for crossups are a well timed d1, standing 1, or if youre a super boss you can parry or armor. Messing up a parry can be the end for kang though and armor burns meter and leaves you mega negative on block, so id shoot for becoming a master aa-er.

Edit: of course njp's are always an option too.

BlackBryan

B*tch Distributor
Does anyone use DS mid pressure? And if so, what's your preferred follow up? I was thinking a f12, ds+cancel, and then either f4 ex low fb or just an ex low if the f3 wont hit. I say ex because of the stagger. In theory a b312 starter should connect before they recover leading to a 30+%, depending on your bnb. Mine is 34%, 37% if a jop is added. So including chip and stagger you're looking at a mean 45+% chunk of life gone. More if a pressure setup is used before hand.
Damn you adulthood for not allowing me to test plays as i think of them.

BlackBryan

B*tch Distributor
Does anyone use DS mid pressure? And if so, what's your preferred follow up? I was thinking a f12, ds+cancel, and then either f4 ex low fb or just an ex low if the f3 wont hit. I say ex because of the stagger. In theory a b312 starter should connect before they recover leading to a 30+%, depending on your bnb. Mine is 34%, 37% if a jop is added. So including chip and stagger you're looking at a mean 45+% chunk of life gone. More if a pressure setup is used before hand.
Damn you adulthood for not allowing me to test plays as i think of them.

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
I use DS Mid-pressure to either follow up with a cancel into: throw, B+1 Parry (Then counter poke with B312 or whatever I feel would be a good bet), F+4, B2+B3, F+3, whatever... Lol, Liu has so many safe options. DS usage at high level is pretty much a given.

The F+4 Shin kick is so damn beastly. I also enjoy ending combos in the corner with B2+B3 to initiate splat and then follow up with F+4 Shin Kick to reset/keep pressure going, because if they try to jump out or if it catches them in the air, that's a free B312 corner combo. Dat KH Swag tech.

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
Can DS Uppercut accomplish toasty? I can't seem to recall... I catch a lot of people with DS Uppercut (Sometimes twice before B312) but I don't remember if I've ever been given a toasty from it.

HGTV DrFlash44

Quan Cheese!!!
*this is not ment to be taken seriously*
Is b3 unblockable or something, because I always block it and then he still gets his stupid repetitive combo. And then HGTV Soapboxfan just does it over and over and I don't know what to do. It's so op. Liu Kang must be top 5.

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
*this is not ment to be taken seriously*
Is b3 unblockable or something, because I always block it and then he still gets his stupid repetitive combo. And then HGTV Soapboxfan just does it over and over and I don't know what to do. It's so op. Liu Kang must be top 5.
You have to block high or armor through it. It's a deceptive overhead.

BlackBryan

B*tch Distributor
I use DS Mid-pressure to either follow up with a cancel into: throw, B+1 Parry (Then counter poke with B312 or whatever I feel would be a good bet), F+4, B2+B3, F+3, whatever... Lol, Liu has so many safe options. DS usage at high level is pretty much a given.

The F+4 Shin kick is so damn beastly. I also enjoy ending combos in the corner with B2+B3 to initiate splat and then follow up with F+4 Shin Kick to reset/keep pressure going, because if they try to jump out or if it catches them in the air, that's a free B312 corner combo. Dat KH Swag tech.
Ooohh that's sexy. I wasn't aware of the splat to reset pressure. I love B2,B3. But i generally only use it once in a blue moon followed by an ex low to knock them back and then start rocking some iafb's. In the corner i always ended stuff with a f4 low fb, just for swag, but now that I know this little piece of pressure heaven I shall use and abuse it. :)

XBlades

To Achieve, You must Believe
^^ I mention the b2,b3 splat a long time ago....>.> and it is not a true reset...the fact that they can wake up attack destroys your meta wake up game... best option to this would be splatting them into the ground and following up with a cross up deep kick... which is probably the best tactic possible since you have a +10 gap on block. In which you can either, throw, pressure, or cross up again and repeat the process...
On Kenshi's wake up game... especially if the kenshi loves to reverse input for telepush or rising karma you can do air fireball over there head to avoid all options...this is XBlades Tech..

On the ds+1 theres not toast boost its only attainted by inputting d+2

*sigh* i guess i have to make a reappearance..

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
^^ I mention the b2,b3 splat a long time ago....>.> and it is not a true reset...the fact that they can wake up attack destroys your meta wake up game... best option to this would be splatting them into the ground and following up with a cross up deep kick... which is probably the best tactic possible since you have a +10 gap on block. In which you can either, throw, pressure, or cross up again and repeat the process...
On Kenshi's wake up game... especially if the kenshi loves to reverse input for telepush or rising karma you can do air fireball over there head to avoid all options...this is XBlades Tech..

On the ds+1 theres not toast boost its only attainted by inputting d+2

*sigh* i guess i have to make a reappearance..
You should never have left buddy. I was pulling for you at EVO

RYX

BIG PUSHER
How do I get out of Liu Kang's pressure when I'm getting mix-up'd faster than I can react? I've only just recently played a really good LK up-close but goddamn I had a lot of trouble. ( I main Noob Saibot and Sektor by the way, I have less problem using Reptile. )