What's new

Ask Liu Kang, get an answer.

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
Parry is your best friend! I use it a lot...

however...

what is this 40% combo you get off ex parry? Every time I land a DS 1 or ex parry... I have no idea what to do and end up doing something stupid like.... 1 dash 1 dash 1. lolz
njp, dash dragon stance 1, b312 b31 bicycle kick.

Yes. If it didn't I think 2(1)(3) would be our main string. f12 hits neutral crouch and crouch block opponents. That's the beauty of the string. I don't think Liu would have much without it.
I just checked it and you are 100% correct, f12 hits mid, even against Mileena and 213 hits high first then mid overhead. My bad Squeaks.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Well I don't have to check now, because you cannot neutral duck forward 1,2, thanks guys.

Edit: Might still try some more things though.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
There are many things you can do.

f12, b312, b312, b1 into combo ender
1, b312 repeated
f12 x4 into flying kick
b312, b312, f24 bicycle kick

There's more, but I suppose those would be the easiest. If you have problems with landing the f12 just go with 1.

PS: These might not be 40%, but practical.
Thank you good sir... I will try these out tonight!

Man, I have quite a bit to work on in the "lab" tonight.... Raiden stuff, Liu stuff. lol

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
I just tested his strings, all hit on neutral crouch and crouch block with the exception of 1,2, back 1 and I never really see Liu Kang players use this string, great Kang players or otherwise. This makes me realize Liu Kang has really awesome normals, he literally has everything, but he's well balanced, a nice low starter that leads into big damage, fast advancing normals etc. I knew most of this already, but actually evaluating the characters make me a bit jelly.

You don't use 2? I usually try d3 when they land. (as a jip is neutral on block)
2 doesn't work for cross ups. By the time Liu Kang turns around it will lose to a jump in punch. You also cannot d3 to beat their next move after a jump in punch; it's only neutral when you don't take into account the cancel advantage. If they cancel jump in punch into a string, you can't interrupt that.
Add me so we can play soon please, glad we'll be helping each other:). I played MK Peanuts some weeks ago and he was blowing me up, I got I think one win with Stryker, but other than that whenever he pressured me, I was literally like OMG...save me lol.

Thanks for your feedback
It's a tough matchup for Stryker, in my opinion. I've played it a lot offline with CRKFIEND and it seems like to beat Liu Kang you really have to make good use of the roll. Regular roll goes under air or high fireballs, but you'll need the armor on EX to beat the low fireballs. If you can consistently counter zone with rolls, you can set up your zoning game with guns and grenades, at which point you're in pretty good shape.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
It's a tough matchup for Stryker, in my opinion. I've played it a lot offline with CRKFIEND and it seems like to beat Liu Kang you really have to make good use of the roll. Regular roll goes under air or high fireballs, but you'll need the armor on EX to beat the low fireballs. If you can consistently counter zone with rolls, you can set up your zoning game with guns and grenades, at which point you're in pretty good shape.
Thank you, I always worry about the recovery on his low fireballs when it comes to armored roll toss, I'm working on that in addition to baiting fireball with gun cancels into jip, which even if they have time to block still gets me chip, but in most cases gets a combo.

I've only fought 2 legit Kang players in the last 4 months (nobody plays this character and it confuses me because of how solid he is in this game), you and Shoryuken have been the only two.

CRKFIEND

Noob
2 doesn't work for cross ups. By the time Liu Kang turns around it will lose to a jump in punch. You also cannot d3 to beat their next move after a jump in punch; it's only neutral when you don't take into account the cancel advantage. If they cancel jump in punch into a string, you can't interrupt that.

Yeah, I've seen Stryker's wake up roll go through fireballs numerous times without EX as well, but it seems the window of opportunity is very small to time it correctly, or maybe a glitch! :)

Yeah, I've seen Stryker's wake up roll go through fireballs numerous times without EX as well, but it seems the window of opportunity is very small to time it correctly, or maybe a glitch! :)
Well you get 10 frames of invulnerability when you use roll as a wake up attack, so you're probably going through the fireball during those 10 frames. It's like how in Megaman sometimes you'll take damage on purpose so you can walk over spikes during the period of limited invulnerability you get when you get hit.

XBlades

To Achieve, You must Believe
Hey guys, been working on anti cross up strategies.... (when em i not working with this character lol) In the past i have tried to do dash under cross ups and b+3.... Ive gotten to the point where i just want to do... d+1, b+4 or dash under dragon stance away.... What are you guys opinion on this method of anti cross up... btw for some reason... standing 2 works... but you have be on point with it...

LEGEND

YES!
Hey guys, been working on anti cross up strategies.... (when em i not working with this character lol) In the past i have tried to do dash under cross ups and b+3.... Ive gotten to the point where i just want to do... d+1, b+4 or dash under dragon stance away.... What are you guys opinion on this method of anti cross up... btw for some reason... standing 2 works... but you have be on point with it...
why are you not playing dark souls!?

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
I'm at school at the moment, but I'll definitely check these out once I get to my ps3. I thought 2 was great, and d1 was crappy, but your the man.

Delay get up is decent also. As soon as your opponent whiffs the cross over punch, you can get up and attack. The only problem with this, is if they decide to do a deep jik then you'll be stuck in their pressure again.

XBlades

To Achieve, You must Believe
hey, got another trick as well... for combos in the corner... when you do b 312 near corner... njp then 2x IAF.. then b+312 again into low fireball or bicycle kick which ever... this is for just increasing meter... of course still playing with it... just trying to find ways of building meter while hitting the person.. of course hitting them while block has gives you more meter... but most of his special attacks are unsafe...

Red X

Noob
Keep in mind this is my first ever fighting game I have mostly been playing Starcraft 2 and don't mind my grammar please.

I just picked this game up last week along with a hitbox. I watched some videos of the pro liu kangs on stream/youtube so I can pick up some strategy. Mostly Xblades playing it lol... Then proceed to look for a good website for MK9 and found this. I got his BNB down B312 x3 F24 Bicycle Kick
Anti Air 2 F12 B312 F24 Bicycle Kick or NJP Dragon Stance 1 B312 F24 Bicycle Kick
Corner B312 Dragon Stance 1 B312 repeatedly or B312 repeatedly.

I can do the combo pretty easy on practice mode but playing with a good opponent like Ladder on Expert they are very random and makes my reaction crappy. It seems hard to do especially Doing Anti Air to B312 F24 Bicycle Kick.

Is this what I need to know to "Level up my Game"?

What are the fundamentals I need to train on?
-How do you zone with liu kang?
-How do you so called footsies right with liu kang?
-How do you Pressure and Deal with Pressure with liu kang?
-How do you train your reaction LOL?

When PROes play it is just so beautiful all that spacing with insane pressure and reaction LOL. I appreciate your help and I apologize if my questions here is already in another thread.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
Is this what I need to know to "Level up my Game"?

What are the fundamentals I need to train on?
-How do you zone with liu kang?
-How do you so called footsies right with liu kang?
-How do you Pressure and Deal with Pressure with liu kang?
-How do you train your reaction LOL?

When PROes play it is just so beautiful all that spacing with insane pressure and reaction LOL. I appreciate your help and I apologize if my questions here is already in another thread.
Zoning with Liu is pretty easy. Just variate between High Fireball, Low Fireball, and iafb (instant air fireball).

Pressuring with Liu is probably better than zoning. I'll list some of his pressure options.
  • f12 is probably his best string. It's neutral on block and can't be neutral crouched.
  • b312 is his most used string, the last hit is neutral on block, so its safe.
  • 213 is a good string as well, as the last hit is overhead. (hits opponents that are crouch blocking)
  • d3 is vital in pretty much everyones pressure, d3 can prevent anything your opponent will do for the most part. Though it can be jumped, blocked and poked back, or whiff punished.
  • f3 is really useful too, as it hits overhead. Opponents fear Liu's b312, which means they'll be blocking low.
  • EX (enhanced) Low fireball isone of his best tools. It can catch people trying to poke out of your pressure, or when they block high after 21(3). (switch out 3 for low fireball)
Your reaction time just comes with experience. Try playing the story mode, challenge tower, and ladder mode alot. If you haven't already noticed, MK online isn't that great. (input lag and in general lag) So if you have someone to play offline, then that's great.

Liu's footsies aren't all that great. His uppercut is faster than his d1, has a mediocre 7 frame d3, and a 12 frame d4. His d1 is useless, so don't use that all too much. d3 is to poke out of pressure, but watch out, as it can be baited. d4 is to provide frame advantage to try and get in.

I'm probably missing a few things, but I'm sure others will help out as well. Hope this helps. :)

Red X

Noob
When I watch pro liu kang they use dragon stance for footsies or to bait them. should I incorporate that in my gameplay?

Also they like to Zone them out and when the opponent tries to Jump in they will eat an Anti Air 2 or B312 it is so beautiful.

I dont know how to Zone properly though and my reaction is so slow like I watch it happen first then react last LOL!

Edit:
Thanks squeaker101 for quick reply very helpful specially the F12 it explained why pros like using it as to get in.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
When I watch pro liu kang they use dragon stance for footsies or to bait them. should I incorporate that in my gameplay?

Also they like to Zone them out and when the opponent tries to Jump in they will eat an Anti Air 2 or B312 it is so beautiful.

I dont know how to Zone properly though and my reaction is so slow like I watch it happen first then react last LOL!

Edit:
Thanks squeaker101 for quick reply very helpful specially the F12 it explained why pros like using it as to get in.
I wouldn't recommend Dragon Stance mixups if you're new to Liu. (unless your quick at grasping concepts) You can get blown up for going into Dragon Stance, which can be devastating.

Zoning takes some anticipation. It's character dependent as well. (don't try zoning Raiden, but try and zone Johnny Cage as much as you can) just throw fireballs out at random, then try and guess what your opponent is going to do. (air fireball for jumps, low fireball for slides)

No problem man, glad I could help.

Few more notes on f12
  • while f12 is beautiful. it can be poked out of. (opponent can d3 or d1 before you can continue pressure)
  • you can complete the string with f12(1) to send them full screen away if they try poke out.
  • you can f12 into EX Low fireball and the fireball can catch them if they try to poke out.
  • or you can do both, f121 into low fireball (EX or not) if they try poke out after f121 they get caught by the fireball. If they get hit by the last hit of f121 then they go full screen and the fireball gives you a little bit of meter. (fireball won't connect as a combo)
  • Both versions of the fireball are unsafe though, so use carefully

In really general terms, I would say when you're learning a character, just do stuff. Pay attention to which stuff tends to work better and do that stuff more often. So in the context of your question, sure, give dragon stance stuff a shot. If you feel like it's working, do it more often.

It's good to know the maximum distance of a jump. Every character in MK9 has the exact same jump arc, so once you know one of them you know them all. Pay attention to when you're at that distance, because that's where your opponent may try a jump. If you're thinking about jumps before they happen, it's much easier to react to them with an anti air.

Red X

Noob
How do you deal noob saibot and how do you counter low pokes like mileenas or smoke or ermac its annoying!!