What's new

General/Other Ask Kratos Thread - Have a question about Kratos? Post it here!

Use this thread to ask question/s about Kratos, we don't need to make different threads to ask a question.

The first post will be updated with the questions and answers so that you know if your question was already asked before and what was the answer for.
----------------------------------------
Alien Substance will update this post.

Question: What kind of character is Kratos?
Answer: A tank-type: Very slow, but does a lot of damage. More technically, I would call him a Punisher/Counter-based/Gambler kind of character.

Q: What are the properties of his EX Hermes Dash and EX Parry?
A: Hermes Rush has armor and Argos Ram juggles on melee-hit, the projectile-parry sends out a larger, more damaging golden ball.

Q: Does the EX Parry work against wakeups?
A: On most wakeups, yes. The normal parry can counter whatever the EX version can, however.

Q: What is Kratos' infinite?
A: 2,1~HDC, 2,1~HDC, Repeat. Works only in the corner, and is a "to-the-frame" kind of infinite, like Kabal's 2~NDC block-infinite.

Q: What is the best option for Kratos after he is knocked down in the corner?
A: Hermes Flash Parry into: F+4,2 / 1xxHelios / 3xxHelios / D+4xxBow / D+4xxZeus' Rage / D+1xxZeus' Rage.

Q: Why does F+4,2 not work on certain characters after an extended combo?
A: If you've already used F+4,2 in your combo, and you do a few more hits before using Head of Helios into JIP, F+4,2 or something of the sort, Divine Lift won't true combo and can be blocked. This is due to certain hitbox and gravity issues where F+4 lifts up the opponent off the ground, and certain characters fall to the ground faster than others, leaving them able to block before Kratos can launch them up again.

Q: Without HDCs, is it impossible to pressure with Kratos?
A: Yes. Kratos requires HDCs to capitalize on his up-close meter-building and mindgames. Without them, he is one of the worst up-close fighters in the game.

Q: Kratos does not have a low-starter. What should I do against blocking?
A: Throwing and D+4xxBow/HDC are good options for Kratos. Though you should not be too reliant on throws, as they can be teched/crouched, and Apollo's Bow can also be crouched.

Q: Why is Kratos banned in competitive play?
A: He is a PS3-exclusive fighter; Xbox players would be at a disadvantage.

Q: What is Kratos' best Anti-Air?
A: Standing 1 and B+1.
ST1 has good horizontal range and faster startup. B+1 is an upwards swing, which makes it the best AA, but it is quite slow at 21 frames. Standing 2 can also be used as an AA, though ST1 has more active frames.

Q: Is there a glitch with Apollo's Bow?
A: Yes. A glitch that makes an arrow or two seemingly not come out, and then these "invisible arrows" hit your opponent at a later time.
I call it "Apollo's Ghost". I haven't found out what makes it occur, but perhaps it has something to do with rapidly shooting arrows and having your opponent avoid/block them...

Crimson Cobra

The Ultimate Shadow
what kind of character is he?
at first people thought he was going to be a plain and basic brawler
but the playstation blog described him as more of a tactical strategic fighter

REt0X

Noob
His uppercut is very slow. I find it hard to land compared to Scorpion, for example. Is this intended? Does it do more damage as a result?

P-Dude

Noob
His uppercut is very slow. I find it hard to land compared to Scorpion, for example. Is this intended? Does it do more damage as a result?
All of Kratos' moves are pretty slow, it's his biggest drawback. His uppercut does the same amount of damage as everyone else's.

ManjoumeThunder

Just a mark
Ex dash has armor I think, and Ex parry juggles. I'm lazy, so I dash, press F4, (hold 2), 4 for like 31%. His arrows, are great anti-airs and give juggles too.

what kind of character is he?
at first people thought he was going to be a plain and basic brawler
but the playstation blog described him as more of a tactical strategic fighter
He is indeed a tactical strategic fighter when used in a proper manner.

What are the specific properties of his enhanced dash, and parry?
Hermes Rush has Armor. Argos Ram can parry wakeup attacks, I believe. (Not very useful otherwise, you can just dash cancel the normal Golden Fleece into whatever combo you like.)

#Ihopenooneminds'cuzthisplaceismoredeadthanagraveyard
#replyingtopostsmorethanacenturyold

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
how exactly does the ex version parry wakeups o-0, it can't work if they have invincibility tho.

how exactly does the ex version parry wakeups o-0, it can't work if they have invincibility tho.
Maybe it works because a bar of Super was spent on it? I said "parries wakeups, I believe" it doesn't mean I know for sure. :confused:

Going to have to test this out. Teef's HDC video was likely made before a certain patch that made Parries ineffective against wakeups. But perhaps it does not apply to Argos Ram?

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
Oh right! That's probably a bit more safe too.

It's 2xxHermes Dash Cancel~2xxHermes Dash Cancel~Repeat.

But it seems to have been patched quite a while ago.
we gotta get some more matches in :) Dem Kratos mirrors :D.

speaking of kratos...Ghost of sparta is takin a reeeeeal long time to download x.x

huh

Noob
What is the best when Kratos is cornered after a knockdown? About wakeup attacks: I notice that Helios has a slow start up and the invincible frames wear out before it becomes active, Hermes Rush is very unsafe on block. The Parry is useful, but when the opponent has a low starter it keeps getting me to be hit.

What is the best way to get out of this? D4?

Komatose

The Prettiest
What is the best when Kratos is cornered after a knockdown? About wakeup attacks: I notice that Helios has a slow start up and the invincible frames wear out before it becomes active, Hermes Rush is very unsafe on block. The Parry is useful, but when the opponent has a low starter it keeps getting me to be hit.

What is the best way to get out of this? D4?
I wouldn't wakeup at all and d4 can be severely punished. I would just take some chip and parry/EX parry between their strings if I can.

huh

Noob
Another question (I don't know if it should be on the combo thread, but anyway): there is a BNB combo I use to do online, since it seems to connect easily: F42, 2, Helios Head, JIP, F42 - 4.

However, the last F42 not always connect (with Kitana, for instance) is there an alternative that can be used for all MUs to finish the combo?

Komatose

The Prettiest
I use completely different combos from everyone else so I'm not sure. It should hit on all characters. Last time I checked, character-specific combos wasn't a thing in MK. Maybe you have to just time it differently.

huh

Noob
I use completely different combos from everyone else so I'm not sure. It should hit on all characters. Last time I checked, character-specific combos wasn't a thing in MK. Maybe you have to just time it differently.
I'm pretty sure it doesn't connect on Kitana. after the JIP, I just buffer F42 (hold), so it should work. However, after the F4, the combo interrupts before Kratos do the ascension (so, if a Kitana player is holding block, it will not connect). I don't know if it is only Kitana or other characters are also recovering after the last F4.. I can connect it against several characters, but no Kitana.. I can end it with plain B2 (hold) after JIP, but I have to say that sometimes, out of being used to do the same combo, F42 comes out without thinking.

Other situations: corner combo:

F42, 11, Apollos Bow, 1, Head of Helios, F42 - 4. Depending on the character, the last F42 dos not connect either (F4 connects and then the combo ends before the 2)