What's new

Article From MKOnline Shares a Few New Details About KP2 Characters, and the DLC Selection Process

OBS|KH Rattlehead

real life Kenshi of the MK community.
My immediate reaction when KP2 was announced, I was really pissed and disappointed at NRS. Once the dust settled, I figured it also had to do with WB calling the shots. Ugh I still hate movie guest characters. Its so stupid. Either way I'm still interested in Alien. But Leatherface? I mean, come on! Even the name sounds horrible. I even tried to imagine the announcer say his name in a badass way, but it doesn't work.

Oh and, damn I would've liked Bryan's choice for KP2 instead. That would've been hype as fuck.

E

Eldriken

I like Brian Chad. He's funny. I also liked his personal choices for KP2. However, I still think KP2 is a pile of wank.

This information doesn't absolve NRS from anything...
Never claimed otherwise. But we pretty much have proof now that it wasn't NRS who decided on Leatherface or Alien.

Hexin_Wishes

Likes nerds with big ...
Never claimed otherwise. But we pretty much have proof now that it wasn't NRS who decided on Leatherface or Alien.
Well that's what I meant. I'm sure it was a back and forth and I can't imagine Leatherface being at the top of the list.

I mean, it wouldn't be too crazy to hypothesize Boon probably suggested Predator (and Alien by association) considering how the cyborgs were based off of it back in MK3.

E

Eldriken

Well that's what I meant. I'm sure it was a back and forth and I can't imagine Leatherface being at the top of the list.

I mean, it wouldn't be too crazy to hypothesize Boon probably suggested Predator (and Alien by association) considering how the cyborgs were based off of it back in MK3.
Yep. I agree.

ErMac333

Noob
I gotta say I'm kinda relieved about Tri-Borg being it's own kharacter, but then again this name is cheesy as fuck, they could have just assigned him a LK code, and call him that, much better than Tri-Borg. Anyway, nice that they're still adding to the story in DLC kharacters, and nice that Bo has something solid developed already, can't wait to see him play.

I'm also feeling better about his personal choices, it's like there's still people inside NRS that care about these kharacters, and we may end up having them in future games. I just hope NRS has the guts to put more risky base rosters in these games, we all know how limited they'll probably end on KP end of things again.

DinoPizzaria

Professional Twerking Choreographer
I gotta say I'm kinda relieved about Tri-Borg being it's own kharacter, but then again this name is cheesy as fuck, they could have just assigned him a LK code, and call him that, much better than Tri-Borg. Anyway, nice that they're still adding to the story in DLC kharacters, and nice that Bo has something solid developed already, can't wait to see him play.

I'm also feeling better about his personal choices, it's like there's still people inside NRS that care about these kharacters, and we may end up having them in future games. I just hope NRS has the guts to put more risky base rosters in these games, we all know how limited they'll probably end on KP end of things again.
I don't think Tri-Borg is his actual name, but more of what the community is calling him for now.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
They probably couldn't figure out three different variations for Fujin then ran a biased focus group to back themselves up.
I know right? Like they could get past all the red tape and technical shit with Alien clearly...yet couldn't come up with 3 variations for Fujin? lol

I have a few concepts....would love to send them to NRS.

I'm sure most of us Fujin supporters could get by these ideas.

-Wind God-Has access to big tornado wins and ones that can be stopped on whim for great set up, bait opportunities, can also fly around in this variation with the name Wind God think MK Mythologies. I wouldn't make his flying useless btw like *cough Ermac*cough* Would also have an in air tornado throw diagonally like think Akuma in SF or Sindel's fireball in MK 3 and MK 9...

-Wind Staff-This variation is more weapon based with his wind staff originally designed and to be used back in MK Armageddon(for those who didn't know) they went with a sword instead...anyway, he can use this with few unique moves shooting mini tornadoes out of it, levitating moves etc using it and fighting up close with range.

-Hurricane or Tornado variation-In this one he can't fly nor has the staff, but has access to more wind moves on top of his universal moves such as a defensive cyclone move that is temporary but shields him (similar to KL's hat move) from projectiles but in Fujin's case NOTHING gets through, only way to hurt him is up close...

He has a move say here where he can buff the damage of his normal wind moves(universal which I'll get to in a sec)

Has a move in this variation where you have to block low comes from the ground, brings you to him anywhere on the screen if it hits for free hit.

Universal moves for Fujin would be:

-Tornado toss or cyclone-Like he has in MKA, acts like a projectile knocks you back, however the EX version would be a move that if it hits you get stunned for a few seconds if you're close enough you can get a free combo if far, you get a trade at the least and does some damage OR ex version hits you 3 times(block until the frame of the move is over) thus increasing chip damage :)

-Tornado slam-Again like MKA similar to Ermac's TK slam, but with with wind instead of TK of course for combo damage. EX version bigger hitbox and slams you up little higher, slightly more damaging.

-Spinny cyclone- Like MKA he had a move where if you were near him and too in his face he could do a move that sucks you up and spins you around tossing you away from him. EX version he can punch you or kick you away at the end for extra damage.

-Dive kick-Fast and can be used to get in from the air if need be. No EX for this move.

-Wind blow-New move where he can blow wind out of his mouth and it pushes you back/knocks you back on the ground like Sindel's scream that just pushed you back on your ass. However, this move would have 3 options like many in MK X there would be a straight blow, AA diagonal version and low hit version. This move you have to be at least sweep to close to be effective. EX version just does slightly more damage.

This would be my dream Fujin for MK X....

Gamer68

Fujin!
Like I said before in a different thread, I don't care who's fault it is when it comes to the KP2 choices. I don't care if it was Warner Bros.', NetherRealm Studios', or Ed Boon's fault single-handedly. Knowing who's fault it was just gives us someone (or some people) to point fingers at. At the end of the day, no matter what, Kombat Pack 2 is still super disappointing. They could have knocked it out of the park, but it was all blown on marketing and trying to cash-in (again). It seems very clear that right now NRS/WB would rather make a couple more bucks than the please their hardcore fans that got them where they are today.

trufenix

bye felicia
It's always amusing when a bunch of fans insist something is true, then a dev flat out says it isn't true, then the fans say fuck that dev he's just covering his own ass.

#hoodfans : never forget the treachery of NRS.

Gamer68

Fujin!
What the fuck is so cool about Sareena and Ashrah? Can someone please tell me?
People like Sareena because of her backstory and the fact that see can add to the lore. She has also never really gotten the spotlight (she was only playable in MK Tournament Edition on the GameBoy and MK Armageddon). She has a lot of potential, and people would really like to see her as a fleshed out character in MKX.

As for Ashrah, I'm not really sure. Not as many people like her, but she does have a following (I mean, every character does). I think one reason why people want to see her back in is the same reasons why some people wanted Bo' Rai Cho in: To bring back a MK Deception character and redesign them. If there's one thing I can agree on it's that I don't like NRS throwing away characters. I want to see them take the post-Trilogy characters and redesign them instead of simply pretending like they didn't exist. So yeah, people want Ashrah because of her potential. I guess another good example of what I mean is Tremor. He was never really playable, he made is debut in a terrible spin-off game, yet people still wanted him because they saw potential. And now he's in MKX and is a pretty great character.

Hanzer0

Wanna order chinese later?
Great interview but I'd like to ask how the fuck is fujin a "vocal minority"??!:mad:

No way leatherface, fatass and alien were requested more....I support nrs but no fujin was a blown opportunity imo.
Fujin is a "vocal minority" my ass.
I've had randoms on PSN (who a million-to-none probably don't even know what TYM is) message me saying that they'd like Fujin to be in KP2.
He didn't say requests for Fujin was a vocal minority but releasing a stand alone character outside of a kombat pack is a vocal minority (at WB and NR studios)

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
He didn't say requests for Fujin was a vocal minority but releasing a stand alone character outside of a kombat pack is a vocal minority (at WB and NR studios)
Yes, but that really translates to "those who want Fujin, Havik etc are in vocal minority since WB, NRS has the final say at the end of the day" they've known for months who we've actually wanted....

It's like they say, LF and Alien are getting new movies so those studios dished out the cash to WB to give their characters more light and promotion. When it's a choice between fans demands (even though we buy the games) or movie companies giving them loads of money the choice is simple from a business perspective.

Hanzer0

Wanna order chinese later?
Yes, but that really translates to "those who want Fujin, Havik etc are in vocal minority since WB, NRS has the final say at the end of the day" they've known for months who we've actually wanted....

It's like they say, LF and Alien are getting new movies so those studios dished out the cash to WB to give their characters more light and promotion. When it's a choice between fans demands (even though we buy the games) or movie companies giving them loads of money the choice is simple from a business perspective.
Yes exactly. Money talks (louder than tym posts) and its an obvious choice if someone pays you to put their product in the game before you even sell it to players. I really wanted fujin as well he was my only requested character and i am very disappointed with the choices they made.

ErMac333

Noob
I don't get why people (and this site apparently) are having a hard time accepting this. Sure it's gimmicky but it's straight to the point like Reptile and Bo Rai Cho.

He's basically the robot Chameleon anyways.
Yeah, thinking like this, you got a point. It's just that now things are a little different when we meet new kharacters. Back then, anything cheesy would do, and as the years passed, names like Reptile and Chameleon became a lot easy to relate to the actual kharacters since they were labeled like that long ago. But these days, introducing new kharacters, anything like that might sound weird for some, probably reason why D'Vorah isn't called anything directly related to the word "insect".

Tri-Borg sound a little odd for its time of birth, but your point makes sense considering we're talking about the MK universe and its roots.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
am I in the minority who likes KP2 over the one suggested by Brian Chard? I have no interest in Sareena or Khameleon, but I do really like all the KP2 characters besides Leatherface, I guess.
Nah not a fan of his choices.

Fujin should have been in over leatherface, but Sareena and Khameleon are w/e.

SM StarGazer

The voice of reason in a Sea of Salt

This will always be true. Always. Yes we buy but it doesnt always cover everything. Promotions, conferences, marketing, development, loss management, and you gotta pay people. And Esl and otber tornaments in which they donation life changing amounts of cash. @SonicFox5000

*Mic drop*

SM StarGazer

The voice of reason in a Sea of Salt
But really though. Spawn, Fujin, Bo Rai Cho, Alien. The highest grossing combination for KP2. Or. Fujin, Sindel, Alien, Tri-borg. KP3....IrreleventFace, Freddy, Shieva, and...wait for it...

Fujin.