What's new

Tech - Stunt Double Armored reversal absorbption

I only reserve myself to couch gaming sessions with my friends because i don't actually own MKX or a PS4, so tough luck with testing this out myself right now, but i feel like i might've stumbled upon something that would greatly enhance SD's oki: namely, the ridiculously fast recovery on both versions of mimic shadow kick.

The idea here is that EX MSK could absorb a wakeup attack with its two hit of armor, hit the opponent back for 7% with the mimic and then have Johnny recover fast enough to follow up with a full combo punish - perhaps even against normally safe on block wakeups, since he's not taking any blockstun. Could potentially be done from a mimic cancel if there's enough advantage on knockdown, so you can both get your mimics up and throw out a +2 on block, counterpoking and full combo punish on wakeup oki.

Update: this tech works! Granted, i've only tested it against Sub-Zero's reversal slide, but the results had answered all my hopes regarding it.

1. There is a big enough window after Johnny absorbs the slide with EX MSK to punish SZ clean with an F2 starter; the timing is tight though, and it also depends on how well the absorb itself was timed. With MSK doing an unscaled 7% by itself, you can get around 33% total midscreen and 40% in the corner with a meterless & no mimic combo punish.

2. There is enough advantage on knockdown from his sweep to use mimic activation and cancel into EX MSK in time to absorb the slide.

3. 114 xx Mimic Activation xx EX MSK will catch anyone trying to armor the gap after the mimic activation.

Considering that SZ's EX Slide is 42 frames in total, with 12 active frames and a recovery of 21, this tech has some interesting potential, as it should , by extension, be able to punish stuff like Raiden's normally safe EX Vicinity Blast, which is 62 frames in total, of which 10 are active and 30 are recovery. (grabbing this framedata from the google doc spreadsheets, whch might not be completely up to date, but they shouldn't be wildly off the mark).

EDIT: i might actually be wrong about EX MSK dealing 7%. I didn't pay much attention to the damage numbers during testing, as i was more invested in actually getting the timing down, but it might actually deal an increased 12% damage, bumping the damage potential to a respectable 37% and 45%.

Last edited: