What's new

General/Other Argh, frustrated..

bettyswallaux

XBOXLive: BettySwallaux
Before i start, ill say this isnt a bitch n moan it's more of a cry for help. I bought MK about 3 months ago and ive loved every second of it. I have used smoke continuously for the whole time, i loved him as soon as i started to use him and learned all the combo's perfectly, lately though ive started to play a lot online (i know about online's issues, this isnt one of them). I practise every day at this game cause i love it so much, and i started to win a lot of matches online, which is normal as you improve, so ive stepped my game up and started to challenge higher rated players, this is where my problem starts. I always seem to lose out on footsies, i just dont know what im doing wrong anymore but it always seems to be me who ends up getting juggled through the match as opposed to the enemy. No matter how much practise i put in i still dont seem to have the skill of some others. So i was hoping a high level smoke could maybe give me a hand and tell me what im doing wrong? I also want advice on what control pad is best to use for the xbox 360, obviously the dpad sucks on the official one so.. anyway if you can give me a hand it would have to be on the xbox 360 cos i dont have a ps3, thanks in advance as usual, gaz

Look at the frame data if you haven't already. It's important to know the advantage you get off of smokes pokes and overhead. d3 is +3 on hit and +10 on crouching hit. d4 is +12 on hit and +5 on crouching hit. So basically, after a low poke, you get free pressure afterwards. You also need to condition them into blocking low to open up the b2 pressure which is the fastest overhead in the game, can be linked into a 37ish% combo and the b2 is +3 on hit. So the low pokes offer a 50/50 mixup with the b2 for pressure.

Also look into the 214 mindgames, after a blocked 214 you can go for a smoke bomb to condition them to block after the 214 string, which then brings more pressure games or whiff punish them.
Look at http://testyourmight.com/threads/214-mind-games.13916/ for more info on the 214 string.

Play patient with smoke, keep away throwing smoke bombs, wait for them to come to you and then try and whiff punish them or get a b2 or d4,d3 in to try and get some pressure.

Enenra

Go to hell.
FrothyOmen is the best teacher you could ask for. He knows his shit.

If Frothy is ok with it of course. I'd be willing to teach you footsies, I can do that, but you need someone of Frothy's knowledge to teach you how to be a complete Smoke.

Don't get discouraged, EVERYONE went through what you are going through at some point. It's an MK initiation right. Playing players better than you is the fastest way to level up, fact. And don't play randoms, play friends and the TYM people you like.

bettyswallaux

I think Frothy is the only high level smoke ive played to date and he made me realise how much i suck at pokes tbh, but he's not online that much, so i need a couple more lol

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
http://testyourmight.com/threads/wrath-of-the-jackalope-2-0.15272/

bam.

It's super dense and browsing through it I see stuff and say "oh yea I forgot I should be doing that"
I do that with UFG's Lao guide. "Oh, that's right, I have an uppercut...fuck yeah!"

Don't get yourself down, brother Betty.
With the right knowledge, you and your stoner-friendly ninja shall prevail :).

Also, as a fan of the film Kung Pow!: Enter The Fist, I feel I'd be remiss not to recommend you change your name to Master Betty and recruit a bodyguard in the form of a kung fu cow.

bettyswallaux

I do that with UFG's Lao guide. "Oh, that's right, I have an uppercut...fuck yeah!"

Don't get yourself down, brother Betty.
With the right knowledge, you and your stoner-friendly ninja shall prevail :).

Also, as a fan of the film Kung Pow!: Enter The Fist, I feel I'd be remiss not to recommend you change your name to Master Betty and recruit a bodyguard in the form of a kung fu cow.
ha noted