What's new

Ares, Reset.. New or overlooked?

Art

Grave_Intent
Hi all,
I just wanted to post this video and show the Ares re-set I came up with that deals 30% for each bar of meter, and has pretty good cross-up. I tested it vs. the AI and only a few of them have wake-ups that were able to escape, Ares still could punish them for doing so, with teleport combo or fire-ball. Let me know what you guys find out or think thanx..

Inputs: J2,33,DD2+MB,D3 - Rinse+Repeat.

Here's the link...

Last edited:

Fromundaman

I write too much.
All you need is one successful hard knock-down to start it. That's not too hard for Ares.
I realize that, but is there any way to make it a more ambiguous block? I mean I could tell it was going to be a cross up as soon as I saw the 1st jump, and I've never seen this setup before, so again, what's stopping me from just blocking, which stops your momentum and essentially made you waste a bar on the MB Godsmack?

Now I like the idea, but I want this to be dirtier; make it so I can't just look at it and go "Oh, well I just won't wake up then, problem solved". Make me guess with this setup, because it looks to have potential.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
I realize that, but is there any way to make it a more ambiguous block? I mean I could tell it was going to be a cross up as soon as I saw the 1st jump, and I've never seen this setup before, so again, what's stopping me from just blocking, which stops your momentum and essentially made you waste a bar on the MB Godsmack?

Now I like the idea, but I want this to be dirtier; make it so I can't just look at it and go "Oh, well I just won't wake up then, problem solved". Make me guess with this setup, because it looks to have potential.
After the J2, can't Ares do a real mixup like 3d2/3d4?

SkaGoogle

Tailgates & Tan-lines !
now try doing this and doing something else after the jump 2 or see if you can delay the jump 2. if you can delay the jump 2 it would look similar to how lobo's mid gunshot reset works.

Reactions: Art

Art

Grave_Intent
After the J2, can't Ares do a real mixup like 3d2/3d4?
I suppose so, but the idea is to ust keep them down on the ground trying to block. "IF" they manage to block you could always 3D2, or 3D4 but there's really no need.

Try it and you'll see ;)

Art

Grave_Intent
Don't even need the bar.
Yes you'd otherwise the God Smack pushes them away. You want to "Pop" them up to hit them with the D3 (Sweep). That way its a hard Knock Down witch leads into the jump-in cross up.

Last edited:

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Yes you d otherwise the God Smack pushes them away. You want to "Pop" them up to hit them with the D3 (Sweep). That way its a hard Knock Down witch leads into the jump-in cross up.
Think trait cancels, man. Same thing can be done w/3,D2 (except use the teleport), just have to use D2, then do D3 for an ambiguous crossup.

Reactions: Art

Mr Aquaman

Protector of the Realms
Lead Moderator
Overlooked, messed around with a whole lot of ambiguous cross ups after d3, he has a lot more options than this

Art

Grave_Intent
Overlooked, messed around with a whole lot of ambiguous cross ups after d3, he has a lot more options than this
Well if you "Overlooked" it I hope you re-visit it. I feel it's an easy combo and can be implemented via muscle-memory in a fight. And seeing as how the 33 hits overhead on a crouching opponent I think it's pretty good, but I could be wrong ;)

InFlames

dead
Like I said in the media section, this is a waste of meter if all you're going for is a cross-up.

But one thing this setup does give you is a safe jump. Instead of delaying the jump in, immedeately do a j3 and he will hit the opponen while still being able to block wake ups over 10 frames. So props for finding tech without realizing it.

Still not worth the meter tbh

InFlames

dead
Well if you "Overlooked" it I hope you re-visit it. I feel it's an easy combo and can be implemented via muscle-memory in a fight. And seeing as how the 33 hits overhead on a crouching opponent I think it's pretty good, but I could be wrong ;)
33 isn't an overhead

Art

Grave_Intent
Like I said in the media section, this is a waste of meter if all you're going for is a cross-up.

But one thing this setup does give you is a safe jump. Instead of delaying the jump in, immedeately do a j3 and he will hit the opponen while still being able to block wake ups over 10 frames. So props for finding tech without realizing it.

Still not worth the meter tbh
I'm still a bit new to the FGC, been following it for a while but just now starting to get into it. Hope I helped some ;)

Art

Grave_Intent
It's nice but you're sacfricing so much guaranteed damage for a set up. IIRC Ares gets 45%+ off of a jump in.
The thing is, for example using 2 bars I feel 60% is pretty good. With Grundy I can only get 57% with 2 bars, but it's a continues combo-string no re-set. I feel like making your opponent try to guess or get frustrated trying to block is a good way to swing the tide of the fight. However I could be wrong.