What's new

Ares for a newcomer?

Hello. Injustice is my first fighting game for like 10 years, so i have kinda struggled to learn the game, but now i can finally say i understand enough to choose a main. Ares is the one i looked at first, but would you guys say he is ok for a newcomer? I'm not the kind of person who cares about the "tier" thing, i just want a character was made for newcomers like me i suppose.

Which guides should i start with? I know there are some guides in this section, but i was hoping for a not so complex guide.

Thanks in advance.

Some of the timings in Ares Combos are pretty strict but he's not terribly difficult to pick up for combo execution. At a higher level of play it gets tricky because he's not really a flow chart character you have to make good reads and you have to risk with some guessing.

Honestly the impression I get from most people is that Green Lantern is one of the easiest characters to pick up given that his combo execution is fairly simple. That said my mind set has always been to stick with a character I like if the learning curve is not incredibly steep. I think how much you like your character aesthetically and concept wise can really play a key roll in your enjoyment of the game.

Axe combo's are kinda annoying, but then again half the reason is because i'm trying to find new ones. His current stuff is mostly easy to do, the only real exectuion barriers i've seen outside the norm are-

1. Teleport combos. There's really only one that i know of and it's not required, so i wouldn't even worry about it until you're more comfortable with him.

2. Comobing while invis. You HAVE to look at your opponent for visual cue's on links, because i honestly think that one of ares biggest advantages is eventually going to be invisible mixups. If you really want to get good with him, don't look at him for visual cues on the tougher combos, and instead watch where the opponent is.

3. Meter management. I personally have a hard time getting certain sword/axe moves to come out, and it doesn't help that you really need to know when you can and can't use them since it's a huge part of his game(can't really threaten off a low otherwise). Further he really doesn't use meter in combo's like most(he's using down sword instead) so intelligently using the meter he has is important and probably required. Armoring b3/f3, push block, and the occasional EX pound/fireball/invis are all required. There may eventually be stuff that wants the bounce cancels as well.

Still all of that is top of the curve stuff. As a pick up and go character he should take about a week of casual play tops to get down for friends.

orochiDragon

PSN OROCHI-dragon / Archangel-44
Hello. Injustice is my first fighting game for like 10 years, so i have kinda struggled to learn the game, but now i can finally say i understand enough to choose a main. Ares is the one i looked at first, but would you guys say he is ok for a newcomer? I'm not the kind of person who cares about the "tier" thing, i just want a character was made for newcomers like me i suppose.

Which guides should i start with? I know there are some guides in this section, but i was hoping for a not so complex guide.

Thanks in advance.
Add me on psn. I can show u enough to make scrubs quit, but to play ares u have to understand the game and make a few good reads.

Mr Aquaman

Protector of the Realms
Lead Moderator
How to properly play Ares at the highest level - By Mr Aquaman

pick superman

LOL, how fitting. I have not been playing this game for some time but returned today lol. Decided to give it a second shot. Well to be honest the game is great but i suck.

orochiDragon

PSN OROCHI-dragon / Archangel-44
LOL, how fitting. I have not been playing this game for some time but returned today lol. Decided to give it a second shot. Well to be honest the game is great but i suck.
Lol yea It be like that. I been taking a break but just started back last night. Add me. I might not be able to get 7th at defend the north ( congrats mr aquaman) but I'm pretty good lol. Psn OROCHI-dragon