What's new

Video/Tutorial Ares Corner Setups

4x4lo8o

Noob
Ares has some dirty stuff in the corner.
Some of this is new, a lot of it isn't. I just wanted to record and dump a bunch of this stuff in one place since there's no easy place for newer Ares players to find it right now.

This is a pretty basic Godsmack reset after f23 in the corner. I like it because it's simple. You don't have to learn any special set up - f23 comes up on its own in all of Ares corner combos. And because there's no set up, it just goes straight into the reset from your normal combo it can catch your opponent snoozing.
If timed right the opponent can't dash or jump out. Like most corner GS resets you can cross up your opponents controls by using mid or far Godsmack or you can leave their controls alone with a close Godsmack. This is essentially a 50/50 against characters without option select invincibile wake ups because only way out is to guess the correct inputs for their wake up

After b13 in the corner you cross them up by taking a small step forward and then neutral jumping(this also reverse their wake up inputs). Stay on the same side by taking longer step forward or delaying the step forward. Because b13 can be used as a combo ender(it's actually Ares highest damaging ender for most combos), this set up can be looped.
This doesn't work if the opponent tech rolls
The combo for putting them back in the corner if you cross them up is
j2, b23, 1, f23, f23, b13 - 40%

Another Godsmack reset using the d2, d2 quickstand. Can't be jumped out of, as shown, and you can choose whether or not to reverse their inputs with close/mid Godsmack.
3d2, f23, f23, d2~d4, d2~GS - 42%
f3, f23, f23, d2~d4, d2~GS - 36%

The quickstand combo off of the MB GS doesn't require trait, so you can loop it until you run out of meter or they wake up correctly
MB GS, f3, d2, d2~GS - 24%

The quickstand can be done without the sword, simplying ending combos in d2, d2. In larger combos this won't work well for a Godsmack reset because it allows them to recover fast enough to jump out, but it can be useful for other mix ups using b2, d1, f3, or teleport

A bunch of miscellaneous combos and set ups you can use for when you use cross up Godsmacks putting your back into the corner.
If you do a normal Godsmack, no meter, they bounce over you back into the corner.
MB GS, b3, dash forward(change sides), f23, f23, b13 - 40%
MB GS, b3, dash forward(change sides), f23, f23, d2~d4, d2~GS - 40% Quickstand reset
MB GS, b3, walk forward, f3 - 25% Unclashable, hkd ,ambiguous cross up,
MB GS, b3, j2, b23, 112~tele - 34% Ambiguous tele set up that puts opponent in the corner
MB GS, b3, j2, b23, 3d2~tele -35% Ambiguous tele set up that put Ares in the corner
MB GS, b3, j2, b23, 112~d4, j3, 112 - 44%

Ares can end combos in 112~tele, leaving him standing on the opponent in an ambiguous manner.
Which side Ares ends up on is controlled by gravity and the height of the opponent when Ares teleports. Higher gravity makes Ares more likely to end up in the corner. In some combos Ares can control which side he ends up on by changing the timing of the 112, some set ups will leave him on the same side every time.

3d2, f23, f23~mb invis, 112 - 41%

Some more invis stuff by InFlames
Combo shown:

3,D2~MB Invisibility-3,D2,D4-F3-D3

As D3 is a hard knockdown, the opponent cannot tech-roll therefore a wake-up attack is their only way out. MB Invisibility gives numerous options to trick your opponent in this situation.

Options after D3 in video order:

-Godsmack (Close) - MB for armor and full combo
-Godsmack (Normal) - MB for armor and full combo
-NJ1 into combo/blockstring
-Cross-up J2 into combo/blockstring
-Low Mix-up (any choice)
-Overhead Mix-up (any choice)
-MB B3/F3 to continue pressure
-Throw (forgot to add in video)

Ending combos in f3, f3 or b3, f3 results in a hard knockdown that can be used to set up a Godsmack reset. Because Godsmack, b3, and f3 are unclashable this allows you set up unclashable loops that the opponent has to wake up out of. Combined with the ability to reverse their inputs in the corner this can be a devastating way to end matches.

MB f3 stuffs wake ups that Ares otherwise can't punish. It's also +16 on block, which gives Ares a free f23 that can't be jumped or reversaled out of. After a blocked f3 Ares can also step forward and use 22 or 3d2 and he can't be interrupted.
The second hits of f23 and 3d2 are overheads so Ares can mix up with f2~d4 and 3~d4.
If d4 is blocked Ares is left at +15 and a b13 is guaranteed. You're also spaced well for another f3.
f3, 3d2~d4, b13 is a frame trap that does 4.6% chip

f3, f23, f23, 112~d4, j2, b13 - 47%
f3, f23, f23, 112~fireball - 39%
f23, f23, f23, 112 - 41%
f23, f23, f23~d4, j2, b13 - 49%
d4, j2, f23, f23, b13 - 35%
(f2)3, f23, f23, 112~d4, j2, b13 - 51% (for when opponent blocks first hit of f23 then gets hit by the overhead)
f3, f23, f23, 112~d4, f3 - 44%, Godsmack reset

Last edited:

P3irce

Noob
I only watch the first 20 seconds or so but I think it's worth mentioning d2,d2 causes fast standup, you don't need to use trait. This alone catches people off guard for a b2 combo.

Also d2, ax up can go into godsmack reset or fast standup 50/50 if they don't wakeup

Edit : good stuff btw

PTG Slayer

Behold! The GOD of War!
I only watch the first 20 seconds or so but I think it's worth mentioning d2,d2 causes fast standup, you don't need to use trait. This alone catches people off guard for a b2 combo.

Also d2, ax up can go into godsmack reset or fast standup 50/50 if they don't wakeup

That works? The d2, ax up part.

4x4lo8o

Noob

The problem with using d2 d2 without the sword is that they're not in the air long enough so they recover and can fairly easily jump or dash out of the Godsmack. I was gonna mention that in the description, and that's why when I tried to record all the resets with the AI jumping. The first key to a good reset is that they can't jump out.

The axe reset is good, and those work midscreen as well. I'll probably record some of those and them, good call

Edit: oh, you weren't talking about a Godsmack reset. I haven't messed with it enough outside of Godsmack and teleport set ups. Yeah, I'll be sure to mention that part of it as soon as I get some written descriptions going

InFlames

dead
I've found f3 hkd, teleport to be a good ender. Which side you end up in depends on when you teleport after the knockdown, aside from that you have some other options such as:

- f3 hkd, teleport, close Godsmack to reverse wake-ups
- f3 hkd, teleport, interactable (this works great with Atlantis which gives guaranteed damage, and the Luthors Lab static thing which you can make it cross-up, reverse opponents wake-up inputs, and even combo off of it for 37% plus it gives huge advantage on block)

f3 hkd, f23 cross up is also something to look into. I find it easiest to do against medium sized hitbox characters.

Last edited:

Drecker

GET CITY.
Good shit, I actually just threw a video together showcasing multiple starters into ambiguous 112xxWarp setups. I'll just post it here instead of making another thread.

VOLUME MIGHT BE A LITTLE HIGH.

Notations:

1. 3d2, f23, f23, (Fast) 1 xx Warp, 3d2, f23, f23 xx d4, nj2, 112 (ender)

2. f3, f23, f23, 112 xx Warp, 3d2, f23, f23 xx d4, nj2, 112 (ender) - Notice that the Warp here puts you on the other side unlike the combo above.

3. f23, f23, 223, Warp, d1, j2, f23, 112 xx Warp, 3d2 xx MB God Smack, f3, Warp Behind, Interactable. This seems to reverse inputs on wakeup sometimes.

4. j2, f23, f23 xx d4, 112 xx Warp, 3d2, f23, f23, 112 xx Warp. If you do the 11 xx Warp later, you will end up behind them every time.

5. d1 xx d4, f3, f23, f23, 112 xx Warp (other side every time), 3d2 xx MB God Smack, b3, dash forward, j2, 223, MB God Smack, f3, f3.

6. d1 xx d4, nj2, f23, 112 xx Warp, 3d2, f23, f23, 112 xx Dark Energy.

7. f23, f23, 112 xx d4 (delay the 112 or the Sword will spawn too far away), f3, 112 xx Warp, 3d2, f23, f23, 112 xx Warp (do 11 xx Warp instead to end up on the other side), 3d2, MB God Smack, f3, f3.

4x4lo8o
Mr Aquaman
IJS Dislexsik
P3irce

Last edited:

P3irce

Noob
Good shit, I actually just threw a video together showcasing multiple starters into ambiguous 112xxWarp setups. I'll just post it here instead of making another thread.
VOLUME MIGHT BE A LITTLE HIGH.

Notations:

1. 3d2, f23, f23, (Fast) 1 xx Warp, 3d2, f23, f23 xx d4, nj2, 112 (ender)

2. f3, f23, f23, 112 xx Warp, 3d2, f23, f23 xx d4, nj2, 112 (ender) - Notice that the Warp here puts you on the other side unlike the combo above.

3. f23, f23, 223, Warp, d1, j2, f23, 112 xx Warp, 3d2 xx MB God Smack, f3, Warp Behind, Interactable. This seems to reverse inputs on wakeup sometimes.

4. j2, f23, f23 xx d4, 112 xx Warp, 3d2, f23, f23, 112 xx Warp. If you do the 11 xx Warp later, you will end up behind them every time.

5. d1 xx d4, f3, f23, f23, 112 xx Warp (other side every time), 3d2 xx MB God Smack, b3, dash forward, j2, 223, MB God Smack, f3, f3.

6. d1 xx d4, nj2, f23, 112 xx Warp, 3d2, f23, f23, 112 xx Dark Energy.

7. f23, f23, 112 xx d4 (delay the 112 or the Sword will spawn too far away), f3, 112 xx Warp, 3d2, f23, f23, 112 xx Warp (do 11 xx Warp instead to end up on the other side), 3d2, MB God Smack, f3, f3.

4x4lo8o
Mr Aquaman
IJS Dislexsik
P3irce
Great vid man ares corner game is just too dirty

Don't know how useful this is but an MB Godsmack followed by f3 and then another f3 perfectly timed causes opponents to stand up really quickly. I tried it on AI and they are able to wake up but I don't think it's humanly possible to do so. Will try to post videos soon. I don't have a console and I don't know if my friend still has his capture card. :( some amazing shit on that corner tech. I shall adapt it into my gameplay soon. Thanks guys!

4x4lo8o

Noob
Don't know how useful this is but an MB Godsmack followed by f3 and then another f3 perfectly timed causes opponents to stand up really quickly. I tried it on AI and they are able to wake up but I don't think it's humanly possible to do so. Will try to post videos soon. I don't have a console and I don't know if my friend still has his capture card. :( some amazing shit on that corner tech. I shall adapt it into my gameplay soon. Thanks guys!

Yeah, this actually works after any f3 f3 and any character can do it. It seems like pretty good tech, but it's hard to do consistently and a lot of Ares set ups revolve around knockdowns with enough advantage to set up other stuff so I've never messed with it too much or thought about the best way to apply it for Ares

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Your much better off going for quickstand reset then double f3. Its too hard to do consistently and u get alot more damage of from quickstand reset

4x4lo8o

Noob
In the corner, maybe midscreen as well, Ares can combo with Godsmack after f3 hits. I'm not completely sure how to use it yet, but at the very least it opens up his unclashable damage a bit more

4x4lo8o

Noob
It works midscreen as well.

I don't know how practical it is, but anytime you land a f3 you can follow up with mb GS, f3 for 25% unclashable. The timing's kind of tight and I haven't tried it in a real match, but I've gotten it down fairly consistently and you don't have to worry about hit confirming because if it's blocked you're in recovery and nothing comes out. As far as clashable, max damage combos it doesn't look like this helps at all.

What's up Ares mains? I've been reading on the forums for a little while now but just got into actually posting since i'm a fraudulent WiiU player :(. I did go to TFC last year but went 0-2 cuz my converter didn't work but I plan to go again this year though. All that is to say...awesome tech! (although I know it's old) and I enjoyed seeing you @4x4lo8o at SCR representing Ares!

4x4lo8o

Noob
What's up Ares mains? I've been reading on the forums for a little while now but just got into actually posting since i'm a fraudulent WiiU player :(. I did go to TFC last year but went 0-2 cuz my converter didn't work but I plan to go again this year though. All that is to say...awesome tech! (although I know it's old) and I enjoyed seeing you @4x4lo8o at SCR representing Ares!
:/ I got bodied by Forever King during my onstream match and it was embarassing. I wish some of my winning games had been on stream. Thanks for the support though!

Yeah, this actually works after any f3 f3 and any character can do it. It seems like pretty good tech, but it's hard to do consistently and a lot of Ares set ups revolve around knockdowns with enough advantage to set up other stuff so I've never messed with it too much or thought about the best way to apply it for Ares
There are characters who can't do this like joker, and some characters can only do B3 F3 and not F3 F3, plus, for some characters this is plus, for others it's negative, just something to note.

orochiDragon

PSN OROCHI-dragon / Archangel-44
As Ares players, we should always try to corner our opponent. Once we get them there, it's gonna be hell trying to get out! In my op of course.