What's new

Guide Ares BnB Combos

ENDeverMORE

The incredible introvert
I dont know about alternate control, but down axe can be used instead of sword if you input :qtl dont know if that might be you problem 4x4lo8o
I know its a habit i need to break, while low blocking.

nightw0lf

Earthrealm Defender / F23 MAN
Down axe scales combos harder than d2. The most you can get is around 20%.

Up axe is useless. Up sword can be used with d2, u4 for a standing reset that leaves you at around 10-15+ of advantage depending on the height.

A trick I use for u4 is inputting du4. It seems to work most of the time. b4u is the only way to input the axe outside of strings.

b23 and f23 all depend on which side you want the opponent to be.
I have another question after spending 3-4 hours in practice last night with Ares. 3d2 into meter burn godsmack was originally really difficult, but now i seem to be able to do it 98% of the time offline. how exactly can i get this out online? i tried a couple of matches, and with lag, have an actual moving and fighting opponent, i am having a hard time finding a good window of opportunity to get it out. it is awesome to do a 45%+ combo, but i want to make people freak out online when they go flying across the screen. what is the best place in a match to safely do 3d2? directly after a teleport behind? when they are on the ground? i have been looking for other ways to get into the mb godsmack (like off of different strings) and i cant seem to find any? any help? i really want to level up and have people respect Ares' game!

InFlames

dead
I have another question after spending 3-4 hours in practice last night with Ares. 3d2 into meter burn godsmack was originally really difficult, but now i seem to be able to do it 98% of the time offline. how exactly can i get this out online? i tried a couple of matches, and with lag, have an actual moving and fighting opponent, i am having a hard time finding a good window of opportunity to get it out. it is awesome to do a 45%+ combo, but i want to make people freak out online when they go flying across the screen. what is the best place in a match to safely do 3d2? directly after a teleport behind? when they are on the ground? i have been looking for other ways to get into the mb godsmack (like off of different strings) and i cant seem to find any? any help? i really want to level up and have people respect Ares' game!
Use it off a jump in and after knockdowns. 22 on hit also guarantees a 3d2. Randomly do it during 22 pressure to throw your opponent off guard.

3d2~Godsmack should only be used when you see the 3 hit, otherwise use 3d2~trait cancel. If they block it you are safe, if they get hit you can combo off the trait cancel with 22~dark energy.

ryublaze

Noob
Use it off a jump in and after knockdowns. 22 on hit also guarantees a 3d2. Randomly do it during 22 pressure to throw your opponent off guard.

3d2~Godsmack should only be used when you see the 3 hit, otherwise use 3d2~trait cancel. If they block it you are safe, if they get hit you can combo off the trait cancel with 22~dark energy.
any reason not to do 22 d4 dark energy for 6% more damage? btw I've been doing 3d2 godsmack this whole time but now that I know it's unsafe I think I might start doing the trait cancel combo. I just hate losing out on so much damage :/

InFlames

dead
any reason not to do 22 d4 dark energy for 6% more damage? btw I've been doing 3d2 godsmack this whole time but now that I know it's unsafe I think I might start doing the trait cancel combo. I just hate losing out on so much damage :/
I personally don't like using Sword at the the end of midscreen combos. It just feels like a waste to me.

nightw0lf

Earthrealm Defender / F23 MAN

Sorry, I am really new with Ares, but can you point me in the right direction to what the trait cancel looks like? I don't understand why you would cancel trait, or what the advantages are. Thanks for being patient with my learning!

InFlames

dead
Sorry, I am really new with Ares, but can you point me in the right direction to what the trait cancel looks like? I don't understand why you would cancel trait, or what the advantages are. Thanks for being patient with my learning!
No problem, we were all new at one point.

Here: http://testyourmight.com/threads/ares-3d2-50-50s-and-hitconfirming.39344/

The thread explain how to use 3d2. It also explains the trait cancelling method along with other ways to hit-confirm.

4x4lo8o

Noob
You guys should try this combo against big bodies, this is the BnB I use against Doomsday and Bane

any starter, d4, j2, b23, f23~axe

Adds about 5% more damage than his standard BnB
How are you getting 5% more? I'm getting 2% more than starter~d4, j2, f23~axe. Are you comparing to a different combo, or am I doing something wrong.
Can you get the axe to hit more times by delaying it or timing the combo better somehow?

InFlames

dead
How are you getting 5% more? I'm getting 2% more than starter~d4, j2, f23~axe. Are you comparing to a different combo, or am I doing something wrong.
Can you get the axe to hit more times by delaying it or timing the combo better somehow?
I'm comparing with the b23, 3d2 ender. Might be less than 5% depending on the starter you use(I used b1).

InFlames

dead
3d2 tdc, d2~godsmack

3d4, forward dash, j2, d2, b13

Don't know the exact damage but they do more than the usual ones we have now. The 3d4 combo is if the 3 hits, if it doesn't just go for a regular bnb.

Arkane Slim

I did a lot but I never hated...
Down axe scales combos harder than d2. The most you can get is around 20%.

Up axe is useless. Up sword can be used with d2, u4 for a standing reset that leaves you at around 10-15+ of advantage depending on the height.

A trick I use for u4 is inputting du4. It seems to work most of the time. b4u is the only way to input the axe outside of strings.

b23 and f23 all depend on which side you want the opponent to be.

This is awesome on so many levels because I just started playing Ares two weeks ago and I've been wondering about his standing resets. I have a question for you. What are his best options after standing resets because some combos its good to be +15 but I noticed that some characters are just outside of sweep range. Maybe I'm doing the wrong starters to end with the standing reset but maybe that's where you can help me out :)

SIDE NOTE: I saw your online set with CompBros... Your Ares is awesome mannn!!

InFlames

dead
This is awesome on so many levels because I just started playing Ares two weeks ago and I've been wondering about his standing resets. I have a question for you. What are his best options after standing resets because some combos its good to be +15 but I noticed that some characters are just outside of sweep range. Maybe I'm doing the wrong starters to end with the standing reset but maybe that's where you can help me out :)

SIDE NOTE: I saw your online set with CompBros... Your Ares is awesome mannn!!
Outside of sweep range? Which enders are you using? The best option is probably 22 pressure afterwards, d2u4 leaves them in range for it with enough advantage but overall you're losing about 8% of damage. In the wall ending with f23u4 leaves you at about +13 if you hit at the lowest point, so you can try going for a 50/50 with 3d2/3dd4 and if they jump you can still convert into into a combo.

@xInfra Deadx Hey I'm interested in trying out Ares. Your OP has like over 9000 combos in it. What in your opinion are the absolute essentials that I need to know? I can get into the nitty-gritty situational stuff later, just looking for what I need to be starting out with.

4x4lo8o

Noob
@xInfra Deadx Hey I'm interested in trying out Ares. Your OP has like over 9000 combos in it. What in your opinion are the absolute essentials that I need to know? I can get into the nitty-gritty situational stuff later, just looking for what I need to be starting out with.
Midscreen:
d1/22/112/b1/b2 ~ d4, j2, f23~b4 - max damage
d1/22/112/b1/b2 ~ d4, j2, b23, 3d4 ~ invis/teleport - oki/doesn't require axe trait
b23, 3d2~fireball
3d2~MB GS, b3, j2, f23~fireball(this is the combo you want to use after jump ins and for slow punishes)

In the corner:
3d2, f23, f23, 112~d4, f3, 112 (if you don't want to use sword end in 112~fireball or 112~invis or 112~tele. Anytime corner combo ending in 112~tele ends up being an ambiguous cross up set up)
d1/b2/112~d4, j2, f23, f23, 112
f23, f23, f23~d4, j2, 112

These are easy to do, close enough to optimal, and should get you by in 90% of situations. In footsies your most used normals are probably going to be d1, b1, b13, and 22 so most of your combos are going to start from there

Last edited:

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Well, for the midscreen you have this format (assuming i'm optimizing max damage):
Combo String into D4-JI2-F2,3/Dark Energy_Axe (Basic BnB)
Combo String into D4-JI2-B2,3-D2-F1,2 (Untechable)_B1,3 (Sends opponent full screen)
B2,3-2,2-1,1,2/Dark Energy (Overhead option)
3,D2/EX God Smack-B3-JI3-F2,3/D4-Dark Energy_Dark Energy (Max Damage combo)

Corner:
Combo string (EXCEPT 2,2, and B1 as the D4 WHIFFS :( ) into D4-JI2-F2,3-F2,3-1,1,2
3,D2-F2,3-F2,3-1,1,2/D4-F3-1,1,2
F2,3-F2,3-3,D2/D4-F3-1,1,2
F3-JI2-F2,3-3,D2/D4-JI3-1,1,2