What's new

Are we getting a free MK11 Upgrade for Next-Gen consoles?

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I thought I'd open up discussion about this since it's something that's been on my mind for a while and it's also kind of important considering we're also getting another Aftermath-like expansion (if the datamine proves to be true). There are some game studios that have already said their games will have a free upgrade if you already own it on the previous gen consoles like The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 (It makes sense for CDPR's upcoming game considering it's been delayed at least 200x since 2013).

But should MK11 come with a free upgrade on the PS5 or Xbox X series XXX (to the power of X)?

Let's see. Assuming you pre-ordered the base game, it cost you 59.99$ (79.99$ for us Canadians) + Aftermath expansion @ 40$ (60$ CDN), that's a big juicy 100$ (140$CDN). If you splurged and got the Premium Edition with the KP (as I did), that's 99$ (120CDN). So you spent 140$ (180$CDN).

Now let's all assume the new expansion will also be 40$, that's a total of 180$ (240$ CDN) for a game. Fair? That's up to you to decide.

But let's say we're also expected to re-buy the game for next-gen, they'll most likely package it with all the DLC (including the leaked one). What do you think they'll price it at? GameS on the next gen are going to be 70$, so what, MK11 'Super Ultra Definitive Edition' (including Aftermath and the new expansion) is gonna be priced at 80$? 90$? So now we're expected to pay 180$ (if you got everything) + another 70-90$ AGAIN?

Now I know WB is probably the ones in charge of this stuff, and you can't necessarily blame NRS for this, but I really hope it'll come with a free Aftermath upgrade. I'll be fine paying for the new expansion, whenever it comes (most likely in Nov), but I am not paying for the game + Aftermath again. Fuck that.

Thoughts?

"It's important to note that only games from the top 100 games played by PS4 users will be backwards compatible by launch and, even then, the whole list might not be available. The list of backwards compatible games for the PS5 will steadily grow after the console's release, similar to, we imagine, how the list of 360 games playable on the Xbox One has grown since it's debut."

Last edited:

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
hmmmm ..... I think that the current PS4 version of MK11 will be totally retrocompatible with PS5, no ? and this way, they will not worry about upgrading to the new generation, since the graphics for MK11 are not that high level demanding for the new PS5 system, hehe ! :D

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
hmmmm ..... I think that the current PS4 version of MK11 will be totally retrocompatible with PS5, no ? and this way, they will not worry about upgrading to the new generation, since the graphics for MK11 are not that high level demanding for the new PS5 system, hehe ! :D
You think so? I mean if they're doing it like that, then great I don't have to worry about it. I don't think they mentioned if all the games we bought with our account will be downloadable on the PS5 though which is what worries me.

xenogorgeous

You think so? I mean if they're doing it like that, then great I don't have to worry about it. I don't think they mentioned if all the games we bought with our account will be downloadable on the PS5 though which is what worries me.
good question .... maybe this link below helps to understand this issue .... seems that, all top 100 games of PS4 , will be 100% guaranteed to be totally retrocompatible with PS5 ..... question is, if MK11 is one of them, hehe ! :cool: ;)

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ps5-backwards-compatibility-ps4-compatible-playstation-6300

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
They said 99% of games will be compatible with PS5.
I don't believe we know this for sure yet.

From the article Xeno posted: "In September 2020, Sony revealed the PlayStation Plus Collection, which would see a number of PS4 games playable on PS5 as part of the subscription. This seemingly confirms a number of PS4 games playable on PS5, but it's unknown whether owning these games separately will be playable through backwards compatibility outside of the subscription, or whether these games will offer any kind of PS5 enhancements."

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
There is a lot more pressure and actual effort being put into making things backward compatible, especially on the Xbox side of thing.

Asking people to rebuy something when everything around it is porting over, and consoles may be hard to find initially, is going to be a hard ask. For that reason it may also unrealistic to expect the game to migrate competitively and you end up with the player base sticking with PS4. I have a hard time seeing the entire player base being financially ready to buy the new console all at once even if they could find them.

I'd feel pretty confident it's just a gimme it's backward compatible, or people just keep playing on PS4 with any PS5 version being a novelty for people that got their hands on one. Sort of like how XBox and PC versions exist but that's not where the people are. Even if there was a new version, it would probably use the same network and it wouldn't matter which version you play, so there is a lot of room for us to be optimistic that we will have plenty of good options regardless of who you are or what you situation is.

Then, In a crazy, far fetched timeline, maybe Xbox gets a XBox platform PC version that lets XBox consoles, and XBox PC players crossplay on the XBox network. Maybe, maybe. (probably a terrible idea though and I'd have to buy a 4th copy)

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
There is a lot more pressure and actual effort being put into making things backward compatible, especially on the Xbox side of thing.

Asking people to rebuy something when everything around it is porting over, and consoles may be hard to find initially, is going to be a hard ask. For that reason it may also unrealistic to expect the game to migrate competitively and you end up with the player base sticking with PS4. I have a hard time seeing the entire player base being financially ready to buy the new console all at once even if they could find them.

I'd feel pretty confident it's just a gimme it's backward compatible, or people just keep playing on PS4 with any PS5 version being a novelty for people that got their hands on one. Sort of like how XBox and PC versions exist but that's not where the people are. Even if there was a new version, it would probably use the same network and it wouldn't matter which version you play, so there is a lot of room for us to be optimistic that we will have plenty of good options regardless of who you are or what you situation is.

Then, In a crazy, far fetched timeline, maybe Xbox gets a XBox platform PC version that lets XBox consoles, and XBox PC players crossplay on the XBox network. Maybe, maybe. (probably a terrible idea though and I'd have to buy a 4th copy)
That's true. I wonder if it'll have crossplay between PS4 and PS5 then, I'm guessing it will.

Zviko

Noob
I don't believe we know this for sure yet.

From the article Xeno posted: "In September 2020, Sony revealed the PlayStation Plus Collection, which would see a number of PS4 games playable on PS5 as part of the subscription. This seemingly confirms a number of PS4 games playable on PS5, but it's unknown whether owning these games separately will be playable through backwards compatibility outside of the subscription, or whether these games will offer any kind of PS5 enhancements."
What about those who buy physical copies? How will they "enhance" their game?

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
What I found strange is that Sony featured MKX as one of the games available day 1 on the PS5. Have they said those games they mentioned (MKX, Last of Us Remastered, God of War etc.) are free to play or something? If so, that would explain why MKX was featured and MK11 wasn't mentioned at all.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
What I found strange is that Sony featured MKX as one of the games available day 1 on the PS5. Have they said those games they mentioned (MKX, Last of Us Remastered, God of War etc.) are free to play or something? If so, that would explain why MKX was featured and MK11 wasn't mentioned at all.
That was part of the "free" games you get with PSN. Kind of their weak response to MS Game Pass. It probably just confused people.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
True, the reason I'm using the unlocker on PC is cause I ain't grinding character towers ever again in my entire life, except for Mileena. And I really hope our progress isn't just stored on the HD cause yeah, that's almost 2 years worth of grinding.

The Xbox One version of Mortal Kombat 11: Aftermath (and Mortal Kombat XL) with work on Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S at launch. All games that currently play on Xbox One will play on Xbox Series by default. This is both disc and digital copies.

All DLC and save progress will all be accessible, even if you switch between generations regularly. It's all part of Microsoft streamlining everything of theirs into one ecosystem.

For PC, there won't be an upgraded version because the PC version already features graphical upgrades.

For PlayStation, Sony hasn't been clear on their backwards compatibility at this point, nor have they said if the PlayStation Plus Collection is free with the subscription service or not as far as I know.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
The Xbox One version of Mortal Kombat 11: Aftermath (and Mortal Kombat XL) with work on Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S at launch. All games that currently play on Xbox One will play on Xbox Series by default. This is both disc and digital copies.

All DLC and save progress will all be accessible, even if you switch between generations regularly. It's all part of Microsoft streamlining everything of theirs into one ecosystem.

For PC, there won't be an upgraded version because the PC version already features graphical upgrades.

For PlayStation, Sony hasn't been clear on their backwards compatibility at this point, nor have they said if the PlayStation Plus Collection is free with the subscription service or not as far as I know.
Sony really needs to come out and tell us cause if it isn't and I have to buy it again AND start over from scratch I'm just gonna play on PC dude.

Sony really needs to come out and tell us cause if it isn't and I have to buy it again AND start over from scratch I'm just gonna play on PC dude.
Thus far with this upcoming generation, I find Microsoft has been far more open than Sony. Microsoft is also gung-ho about backwards compatibility and Smart Stream, while Sony hasn't been big on this the last few generations.

If you want to see backwards compatibility on Xbox Series X in action, you can watch this Digital Foundry video:

If Warner Brothers Interactive Entertainment releases a remaster and participates in Microsoft's Smart Stream program, the remastered version would be your automatically if you own the Xbox One version (and vice versa). All shared save data, DLC, etc.

Nothing wrong with PC either. It's where I primarily play my fighting games.

xenogorgeous

You could always play with both communities.

For consoles, we'll need to see how the next gen plays out and which (if either) proves dominant. Your friends may end up migrating to another platform.
fighting games will always have the best skill level and the bigger numbers of players, on the console environment ..... no doubt about that

only advantage on PC plataform, is the graphics and frame rate perfomance, that , sure, is always superior than the consoles version

I'm a passionate for the PC plataform, but, for fighting games, the consoles plataforms are much much better in terms of challenge , skill level and huge fanbase numbers to seek for online matches, so .... :rolleyes:

PS5 will be the best plataform for MK11, no argument here, period !! hehe :p

fighting games will always have the best skill level and the bigger numbers of players, on the console environment ..... no doubt about that

only advantage on PC plataform, is the graphics and frame rate perfomance, that , sure, is always superior than the consoles version

I'm a passionate for the PC plataform, but, for fighting games, the consoles plataforms are much much better in terms of challenge , skill level and huge fanbase numbers to seek for online matches, so .... :rolleyes:

PS5 will be the best plataform for MK11, no argument here, period !! hehe :p
By migrating to another platform, I meant Xbox, not PC, depending on which console proves dominant (if either).

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
That will depend on which console is primarily used in tourneys, it's been Playstations for a while now though.

That will depend on which console is primarily used in tourneys, it's been Playstations for a while now though.
Yes, we'll see if that trend continues. Historically, the PlayStation platform has been the tournament standard for all fighting games.

But then you hear things like Xbox Series pre-orders running out in Japan, which has never happened with an Xbox console there before...