What's new

Are there really 7-3s in this game?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Considering this is the best balanced game at launch by NRS, we know for sure who is at the top we know why they are there and we know for sure who is at the bottom.

But the line between tiers might be a bit blurry, and ppl tend to base themselves a lot in tier lists.

I'm actually curious, what are the worst MU numbers in an high level MK11 francishe, are there any 7-3 Matchups?

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Still too early to solidify matchup numbers imo. You need a lot of matches to determine a 7-3.

My guess would be there are few of these simply because of how the game is designed. With flawless block, universal wakeups, and the increased power of throws most characters will have enough tools to stay relatively competitive even in bad MUs. We'll have to wait and see.

Considering this is the best balanced game at launch by NRS, we know for sure who is at the top we know why they are there and we know for sure who is at the bottom.

But the line between tiers might be a bit blurry, and ppl tend to base themselves a lot in tier lists.

I'm actually curious, what are the worst MU numbers in an high level MK11 francishe, are there any 7-3 Matchups?
Geras, Erron Black, Scorpion, and Sub Zero are balanced

zHawken

Would you settle for me sausage?
Too early to tell, but playing Noob against characters that can reliably punish his b1, 1+3 feels REALLY bad man

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I think the real question is, if there are 7-3's, has anyone completely fleshed out any MUs yet to the point that they can confidently state the MU number, less than a month into the game?

Meaning you've exhuasted every tool, you and your opponents are both flawless blocking everything that can be flawless blocked, etc.

I think it'd make more sense to ask this again maybe 3 months in.

Having top tiers does NOT mean a lack of balance.

There will always be characters who stand out above the rest.
Here's an honest and unbiased review:
-Scorpion, Scrub Zero, and Erron Black dominate every matchup. This is fine though. You have to give bad players and casuals an incentive to keep playing, a fighting chance. This is why they were powerful in the last game. But they can still be beaten with skill and patience. I win more than I lose against them. Erron Black may need some looking into though.
-Jax and Sonya have brain dead mixups. They're cheap, but balanced. Most Sonya players will resort to spamming projectiles and turret drops when they're losing up close. Keep that in mind.
-Kotal Khan, Shao Khan, D'Vorah, Kung Lao, Frost, Kitana, and possibly Kollector need buffs. Because I never used these characters, I can't comment on what changes need to happen. But I haven't lost a single set to either of them, even when I first started playing. I lost one time to a literal pro Kollector player. I don't remember who he was, but I got trashed. Still, I haven't seen too many Kollectors. That's probably just because he's a stupid and ugly character.
-Kano needs a good mid starter. In my opinion, F1 should be it. His F43 crushing blow needs to proc more.
Johnny Cage's second variation is retarded and needs to be completely changed. It's the worst variation in the game. He needs viable crushing blows. As of right now he's completely missing out on a core mechanic. His hit boxes also need to be fixed. Uppercut and poke spammers are the bane of Cage's gameplan, because almost everything whiffs.
-I do think the rest of the cast is balanced, except...
-Geras is overpowered and needs to be fixed. If you use Geras I just assume you're bad at fighting games in general.
With that being said, I wouldn't be angry if fatal blows were removed from ranked sets. You shouldn't be rewarded for playing poorly.

zHawken

Would you settle for me sausage?
With that being said, I wouldn't be angry if fatal blows were removed from ranked sets. You shouldn't be rewarded for playing poorly.
If you could use FB every round I would agree, but the "use it, lose it" mentality creates a little mind game that I enjoy. Plus winning a round after your opponent fails to kill you with their FB is hella satisfying

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I think the real question is, if there are 7-3's, has anyone completely fleshed out any MUs yet to the point that they can confidently state the MU number, less than a month into the game?

Meaning you've exhuasted every tool, you and your opponents are both flawless blocking everything that can be flawless blocked, etc.

I think it'd make more sense to ask this again maybe 3 months in.
but how do you feel about it now?

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
D'Vorah's at the point right now where she might be the only one that does have this, since I don't think she has any favorable matchups.

Hitoshura

Head Cage

It's too early to tell. I also wouldn't look at these "tier lists" just yet because they're just assumptions of who is the best and who isn't. It's easy to tell who is good and who is not at launch, but to flesh out a game takes time. We need time and a lot of matches played to even start making a tier list. Tech is discovered when the game has time to marinate. Tech changes tier lists. Even when a game has been out for a long time it constantly evolves due to new things being discovered which alter how the game is approached on a competitive level.

Look at super sf 2 turbo. Game has been out for 30 years and the tier list is always changing. King of Fighters XIV's tier list changes a lot, too. Some characters are fixated at the top, but some always go in an out depending on what the meta is like.

Last edited:

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
7-3 sounds really drastic. even old games like third strike barely have such bad matchups. top players in third strike consider hugo-chunli a 8-2 and it feels impossible to win as hugo.
I can't speak for MKX since I didn't stick around long enough but MK9 was full of 7-3 and even 8-2 matchups, MvC3 had some incredibly painful matchups as well (assists could somewhat offset that but not by much).This game doesn't feel nearly that bad but It's been less than a month so time will tell.

TheSkesh

Im Old
Here's an honest and unbiased review:
-Scorpion, Scrub Zero, and Erron Black dominate every matchup. This is fine though. You have to give bad players and casuals an incentive to keep playing, a fighting chance. This is why they were powerful in the last game. But they can still be beaten with skill and patience. I win more than I lose against them. Erron Black may need some looking into though.
-Jax and Sonya have brain dead mixups. They're cheap, but balanced. Most Sonya players will resort to spamming projectiles and turret drops when they're losing up close. Keep that in mind.
-Kotal Khan, Shao Khan, D'Vorah, Kung Lao, Frost, Kitana, and possibly Kollector need buffs. Because I never used these characters, I can't comment on what changes need to happen. But I haven't lost a single set to either of them, even when I first started playing. I lost one time to a literal pro Kollector player. I don't remember who he was, but I got trashed. Still, I haven't seen too many Kollectors. That's probably just because he's a stupid and ugly character.
-Kano needs a good mid starter. In my opinion, F1 should be it. His F43 crushing blow needs to proc more.

-I do think the rest of the cast is balanced, except...
-Geras is overpowered and needs to be fixed. If you use Geras I just assume you're bad at fighting games in general.
Oof

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Shao vs Scorpion feels bad. Like REAL bad. I know real bad, I mastered the T.hawk vs Blanka match in SF4, I might be the most experienced in the world in that match, and its legit 8-2.

Shao vs Scorpion feels almost close to that. Scorpion can walk back all day and threaten anything/everything and there's nothing Shao can do to dissuade him from doing it.

kevkopdx

Noob
I mainly feel like we don’t know enough yet to say what’s a 6-4 or 7-3, etc. And that little things like Flawless Block will have a big impact once people start doing it more frequently wherever they can.

Just my opinion, though.
since flawless blocking is a universal mechanic, how big of a difference could it make? I mean hypothetically if we know that Erron has two gaps that can be flawless blocked by any character, does it really change the fundamental match up between two characters toolsets? I’m truly curious, is this a stupid question?

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Jade doesn't have 7-3s but her 6-4s are damn hard. Scorpion can literally punish me for pressing a button that does not connect before his teleport comes out.