What's new

Are there any legit and effective grapplers in the current meta?

I'm generally a grappler player--Zangief, Abigail, Potemkin, Thunder, etc.--because I really like the tense game of the opponent trying to keep out of my reach and getting massive rewards if I condition and read them right. I don't really have a strong sense of there being any good characters/variations that can play that way effectively in the current meta. Am I wrong? Recommendations?

WA-Finest

>>WILL SLIDE IN NEUTRAL<<
I think grapplers just play different in this game. Grapplers are not the best but still really good I think in this game, Nightwolf and Jax are really good imo, and EB probably has the best mixups in the game with his V2. I don't grapplers are bad, at least.

PeNNyw1ZE_TDC

Master level Noob
Sheeva is an amazing grappler. I would say she is the Zangief of this game. You can also check out Terminator he has multiple command grabs.

Is there any variation of Jax that still does this sort of thing? I was stoked about Hunker Down early on, but he seems to have fallen off the radar.

Inzzane_79

Every time someone farts, a demon gets his wings
Terminator Dark Fate, or go Kollector (I think Variation 1 has the command grab) Kollector has a freaking MID command grab, you have to jump out of it. Stupid as hell

craftycheese

I tried to throw a yo-yo away. It was impossible.
I'm generally a grappler player--Zangief, Abigail, Potemkin, Thunder, etc.--because I really like the tense game of the opponent trying to keep out of my reach and getting massive rewards if I condition and read them right. I don't really have a strong sense of there being any good characters/variations that can play that way effectively in the current meta. Am I wrong? Recommendations?
I also played zangief and found myself gravitating towards Ripper Kano and Dark Fate Terminator. I really like Kano but I think Terminator is the grappler you're probably looking for as he was the grappler I was looking for.

Sheeva is also fun but I haven't done much with her outside of towers.

Dark Fate terminator, the Geras variation with the charge grab, Kotal Kahn Ascension, Kano variation with the command grab. Liu, Erron, NW all have variations with good command grabs as well.I don't recommend Jax although he is a grappler, his command grab is not rewarding to me and it's not that threatening.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I want to clarify maybe a couple of the specific things I'm looking for. The number one thing is that the character is SCARY to be close to. Like a win condition for the opponent is (usually) to stay out of his reach because, if you don't, he gets giant damage and snowballs the whole round. I feel like while there are a number of good command grabs in this game, they tend to just kind of be additional tools in a character's arsenal. Meanwhile, moves like the Spinning Pile Driver are sort of legendary all on their own. Get what I mean?

Is there any variation of Jax that still does this sort of thing? I was stoked about Hunker Down early on, but he seems to have fallen off the radar.
There isn't unfortunately. The main point of the quad grab is to condition them to block so you can finally tic into the quad grab kb . It's not as threatening as other command grabs like Kotal's imo cuz it has no good tic options other than d1,d12. Plus it does poo damage and has horrible recovery. It shouldn't be a high, it should be a mid.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I want to clarify maybe a couple of the specific things I'm looking for. The number one thing is that the character is SCARY to be close to. Like a win condition for the opponent is (usually) to stay out of his reach because, if you don't, he gets giant damage and snowballs the whole round. I feel like while there are a number of good command grabs in this game, they tend to just kind of be additional tools in a character's arsenal. Meanwhile, moves like the Spinning Pile Driver are sort of legendary all on their own. Get what I mean?
The character you want is dark fate term. He has crazy mixups with his grabs.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I'd say give ripper Kano a try. Slightly off topic, but have you ever given Virtua Fighter a try? If you ever pick that game up, give Wolf a spin.

SonBearku

#NerfRaiden
Dark fate terminator dude. My buddy plays him and its incredibly oppresive once mastered. The actual gameplan is to keep him out. Once hes in its 50 50s all day.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
Because of how NRS applies command grabs, that sort of playstyle isn't really represented. The closest character is Kotal Kahn. His grab is a mid that ticks off of a bunch of normals and strings. 1, 12, d1, d3 point blank, j1. D3 gives you enough advantage that his command grab is uninterruptable. Getting hit by it also gives a stackable 10% damage buff

Agilaz

It has begun
Sheeva is an amazing grappler. I would say she is the Zangief of this game. You can also check out Terminator he has multiple command grabs.
In what universe is Sheeva an amazing grappler?

No true command grab outside of v3, and even then it's situational

Her forward throw leaves the opponent nearly full screen which isn't ideal for her, and definitely wouldn't be ideal for a real grappler.

Her back throw is loopable but this also means its also the go-to break direction because...

..there is no risk really to breaking wrong. Sure you'll eat 14%, but oki in this game is two sided guessing game. She also doesn't have any KB's attached to her normal throws. A character that is so committed to the strike/throw game should have a real threat associated with their throw game. Lao is good example of this. Doubles down on strike/throw (cant mix cause no overhead) and has a KB on his back throw.

She's not a bad character persé, but she's far from an amazing grappler. She's more like..barely a grappler.

trufenix

bye felicia
couple characters with good grabs, but ain't a pureblood traditional grappler in the game. Kotal's about it, but if you're playing to land the grab you're chopping yourself off at the kneecaps.

craftycheese

I tried to throw a yo-yo away. It was impossible.
Dark Fate Terminator and ripper kano

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
While I think dark fate terminator is a better grappler in the end, if you want specifically the "Zangief feel" then Ascension Kotal is the best way about it. Terms grabs are more about just straight mix than any real grappler feel.

Kotal is the big boy who does big boy things and has the big boy grab.

Hebrew Negro

KingofBosz97 XBL
Dark fate is the best variation in the entire game imo. But compared to that, Kano might be the only other grabba comes close to be "essential". The problem is that it's not Kano's best variation. I think they aren't as useful in this game because regular throws are so powerful.

This game really is kinda light on the grapplers. I miss my Shazam and especially Grundy. Even commando Kano was alright. As others have said tho I would say Kotal and Terminator, but terminator is lame as fuck as a character. But yeah term has that condition your opponent with mix ups down imo, for sure scary to be close to.