What's new

Question Are Smoke's resets wrongly skewing the community's perception of his viability?

TSIA

• Total voters

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
(Summarized points I previously had in the OP)

- This is not up or downplaying, rather are Smoke's tools misunderstood and only looked at with the resets in mind.
- Too much comparing to Cyrax.
- His fastest normals are apparently slower for other characters with less frames of startup.
- CD Junior hasn't used him since March and never really explained why he dropped him or picked him back up in the first place.
- Lower tier characters have just as significant dirt yet the community acknowledges that they are infact, still low tier.

Discuss.

What I got blown up for:
So after the recent influx of everybody's matchup charts, some disturbingly scrubby and hypocritical attitudes has dawned on me, I don't mean to encourage any downplaying, up-playing, or general shit-talking, but the way his best tools are put into perspective really don't add up.

Whenever someone lists Cyrax as a bad matchup for their character, somebody else chimes in and asks why Smoke isn't considered worse since he does more damage.

Let me ask you guys this.
Does Smoke have a command grab to keep you in check if you're just waiting for a blocked combo starter?
Does Smoke have a safe armored 50/50 situation?
Does Smoke make you completely reconsider what wakeup you use or when to break?
Does Smoke get sixteen frames of advantage for sticking his foot in your shin and is still completely neutral if it's blocked with an animation that's relatively indistinguishable from his -9 on block D3?

I've already anticipated what the reaction to this will be:
Smoke's B2, his 15 frame overhead, frames is faster than lightning right?
Not according to Scorpion's "slow", 18 frame non-viable overhead it ain't, but hey, notice a key difference, Scorp's doesn't lead to an easy opportunity for an unblockable relaunch, either that or 1/20th of a second makes a world of difference I guess :rolleyes:

And of course, there's his anti-airs, which have great range, recover fast if mistimed, and are easily hit confirmed in great meterless damage, but then, Rain, Scorpion and Ermac all have this going for them too and can't even get into the upper half of the tier list.

Now in all fairness, we can argue that maybe Smoke is just being played incorrectly and he doesn't have the right representation.
But then there was CD Junior, one of this game's most successful players and started out with this very character, but his will to use him quietly disappeared after the OTG Smoke Bomb was patched out, Smoke at this point in time is considered mid-tier at best, and Junior promptly moved on, but as soon as the reset is discovered, BAM!

His drive to be the Smoke of the world, is perhaps, entirely by coincidence, ignited like never before! Riiiiight up until REO threatened to run gauntlet with Johnny Cage every time they meet in tournament, and was last seen using the character after beating REO's Cage by the skin of his teeth, very much visibly emotionally drained by the difficulty of the matchup despite having such a powerful tool at this disposal, in MARCH, and hasn't used the character in tournament since.

This isn't a shot at either player, but rather that REO was still able to cause such an effect with a character he hadn't used in tournament in almost a year at the time.

Oh and er, one last thing, CSZ has resets, automatic top 10 character right there.

Discuss.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
if someone wants to put a vs smoke number to reflect damage of cyrax,then what about jax? he also has 100% combos and random adv.
that kinda logic is just dumb imo, there different characters so have different tools

as for the viability of smoke i think Tom Brady hit the nail on the head,alot of smokes have "early cyrax syndrome"
hes cleary a top 10 char and POSSIBLY even top 5 so hes extremely viable

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
You are going through things one by one without context or the big picture. A lot of characters have strong anti-air but they don't completely dominate the ground game like Smoke does.

And when will the Cage bodies Smoke talking point die out? That is not a terrible MU. Smoke has one of the best meterless escape options in the entire game. The Smoke community refuses to adjust their game for any MU and then complain when they struggle.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Does Cyrax has a 100% combo launching unparryable projectile that can be linked to any normal or string that can't be punished by anyone without an 8frame attack?

Does Cyrax have a safe overhead launcher giving him the freedom to low poke you to death until you're forced to eat it?

Can Cyrax run away alll day with a backwards teleport?

Mid tier at best? EL. OH. EL.

STRYKIE

Worst Thread of the Week award goes to...
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

You are going through things one by one without context or the big picture. A lot of characters have strong anti-air but they don't completely dominate the ground game like Smoke does.

And when will the Cage bodies Smoke talking point die out? That is not a terrible MU. Smoke has one of the best meterless escape options in the entire game. The Smoke community refuses to adjust their game for any MU and then complain when they struggle.
There's a lot of other things I could've covered yeah, but I didn't want them to detract from the point at hand.

Also yeah you're right, Smoke does have it easier than most getting out of Cage pressure, but they're hellbent on saving their meter for some other, unforseen reason..

I think cyrax is better but smoke is top ten to me. Hard to catch, resets, and you can't discount that overhead/poke a thon

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

There's a lot of other things I could've covered yeah, but I didn't want them to detract from the point at hand.

Also yeah you're right, Smoke does have it easier than most getting out of Cage pressure, but they're hellbent on saving their meter for some other, unforseen reason..

Why do they need meter? d+3~smoke away.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Let's be serious here, every time a Smoke player uses Smoke Towards/Away, it means free damage for his opponent. Come on people.
Maybe it's just because I play Kung Lao though, lol.

It's because you play Kung Lao. That move is ridiculous.

STRYKIE

Does Cyrax has a 100% combo launching unparryable projectile that can be linked to any normal or string that can't be punished by anyone without an 8frame attack?

Does Cyrax have a safe overhead launcher giving him the freedom to low poke you to death until you're forced to eat it?

Can Cyrax run away alll day with a backwards teleport?

Mid tier at best? EL. OH. EL.
- Smoke Bomb recovers after 8 frames on whiff? News to me.

- Actually, yes.

- Can Smoke put out 3 unblockable projectiles at the same time and follow up with an immobilizing projectile that AAs while you're trying to futcurwayun?

And don't shoot the messenger, name me someone who thought Smoke was top 10 post-OTG, pre-reset.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
- Smoke Bomb recovers after 8 frames on whiff? News to me.

- Actually, yes.

- Can Smoke put out 3 unblockable projectiles at the same time and follow up with an immobilizing projectile that AAs while you're trying to futcurwayun?

And don't shoot the messenger, name me someone who thought Smoke was top 10 post-OTG, pre-reset.
Of course he wasn't top 10 without the reset. With the reset he unquestionably is. And cyrax doesn't have an overhead combo launcher. (Edit: Ok, so he does but it's 30 frames. NO ONE get's hit by that. There's no threat like smokes. It's worse than Quan's U3) I also never said smoke bomb has 8 frames whiff recovery. D1 bomb, d4 bomb, d3 bomb, B2 bomb, any string into bomb, you're minus 9 on block. Cyrax can't do that. Net is punishable by EVERYONE. You get to use a 100% combo launcher as a freaking MIX UP option because only 8 frame attacks can punish it.

STRYKIE

So much wrong in this thread.

SwiftTomHanks Big D Pig Of The Hut Claude VonStroke

Officially entering the OP for the ragnarok award.
I must've missed the part where I'm holding a top tier character's viability to his accessibility.

If I get blown up for trying to help the community, then I get blown up, it is what it is. Too bad my e-peen is now stripped of armor though.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
even without the reset his damage isn't anywhere near bad, he probably does more meterless than most of the cast. his footsies are great and he's the best lame-out character in the game, period.

no.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
OP mains Scorpion.
Aw, but humans in general are largely incapable of talking realistically about smoke. Even if you ask a child who's never played a video game about smoke, and say "if he hits you with any string as you're jumping, he recovers so fast that he can down1 bomb into 100% damage" the child will inexplicably say "sounds mid tier at best."

Aw, but humans in general are largely incapable of talking realistically about smoke. Even if you ask a child who's never played a video game about smoke, and say "if he hits you with any string as you're jumping, he recovers so fast that he can down1 bomb into 100% damage" the child will inexplicably say "sounds mid tier at best."
Smoke's reset off of an antiair is his hardest reset. Even young wafflez cannot do that consistently. A 100% combo off an antiair would require 3 bars of meter and at least two true resets. If you think that I am lying or the entire Smoke community does not have the execution to hit forward four, I challenge you to main the character and do better with him.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Whom loses to Smoke and has no answers to keep Smoke honest about random Smoke bombs.

Edit: Nevermind, according to above Quan Chi player, I can instant teleport them all on reaction.
When have I ever said that? I know nothing about Scorpion vs Smoke.
I'm also not a Quan player, only a technician. I'm a kenshi/kitana main. :)