What's new

Are regenerative abilities canon in the MK Universe?

Is it widely known that MK fighters have regenerative abilities or is it something that we all just assume? If not, seems like it would make sense to throw it in the storyline, like those bonic pills or whatever in Injustice, so that the crushing / fatal blows don't seem so ridiculous when people bounce right up from them and continue fighting. It would also explain why everyone does over the top fatalies as well, as means to destroy the kombatant's body as badly as possible so that there's no chance of healing.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Charybdis

We are returned! Death to the False Emperor!
I have a headcanon that Mortal Kombat is like a pocket dimension when initiated where the injuries don't matter til you lose the fight, where the Elder Gods allow people to endure fatal injuries until even that protection is overwhelmed. Then when the fight is over the Elder Gods return you to your form uninjured but the shock hits your mind rendering you insensate.

And then....finish him.

Is it widely known that MK fighters have regenerative abilities or is it something that we all just assume? If not, seems like it would make sense to throw it in the storyline, like those bonic pills or whatever in Injustice, so that the crushing / fatal blows don't seem so ridiculous when people bounce right up from them and continue fighting. It would also explain why everyone does over the top fatalies as well, as means to destroy the kombatant's body as badly as possible so that there's no chance of healing.

still fatalities would have to be explained. they did this well in dark souls where the constant dying and resurrecting was possible because the character was undead anyway.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Only a few characters have shown to have such in canon. For example, Rain was scorched into a crisp in the MKX comics, but in the MKX story mode he looked fine and well again. So at least he has regenerative powers, unless someone healed him.

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
Certain characters do like D'Vorah, who regenerated from being decimated into oblivion. I think gods have the ability to heal to quite an insane degree as well. Probably half-gods as well, since HeavyNorse already mentioned Rain.

But maybe, just maybe:

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu

The pills from Injustice were stupid and dropped in Injustice 2. There is no "explanation" as to why the fighters can have their bones broken and their bodies heavily damaged and continue fighting. Fatalities, X-Rays/Fatal Blow, none of that is canonical unless directly shown otherwise.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
I have a headcanon that Mortal Kombat is like a pocket dimension when initiated where the injuries don't matter til you lose the fight, where the Elder Gods allow people to endure fatal injuries until even that protection is overwhelmed. Then when the fight is over the Elder Gods return you to your form uninjured but the shock hits your mind rendering you insensate.

And then....finish him.
This.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Unless it's shown or stated somewhere in canon material then I would say no. We know Kabal certainly doesn't considering he is still crispy and needs a respirator to live. The Rain example above might hint at regen but again he could have been healed somehow too.

And then....finish him.
This makes the most sense. Should shoot that idea to Boon himself.

D3athStalker

*keeps punching the air while trying to do combos*
Canonically, Skarlet probably can regenerate limbs by absorbing blood since she's a blood incarnate. Mileena literally tore her legs apart in MKX comics but she seems fine in MK11.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
MK are full of metahumans, insane durability, magic, Gods, cyborgs, various species, Demons, Elder Gods who are omnipotent, a Being that's omnipresent and literally have Heaven and Hell. I would say yes.

Is the ability to resurrect from the dead like Jesus canon to the story of every multiplayer fps ever?

Gotta suspend your disbelief man.

MKF30

That's the whole gameplay element vs. canon element, but at the end of the day it's a video game. lol

Is the ability to resurrect from the dead like Jesus canon to the story of every multiplayer fps ever?

Gotta suspend your disbelief man.
In mainly referring to the xrays. They are basically in game fatalies. Just seems a little silly how characters just bounce right back up from them like it's a jab or something. I guess it would make more sense to me if there were no fatals at all.

Only a few characters have shown to have such in canon. For example, Rain was scorched into a crisp in the MKX comics, but in the MKX story mode he looked fine and well again. So at least he has regenerative powers, unless someone healed him.
I thought the comics weren't canon

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
still fatalities would have to be explained. they did this well in dark souls where the constant dying and resurrecting was possible because the character was undead anyway.
Anyone that gets killed is rewinded by Kronica as long as they still play a part in her plan. lol

MKF30

ghostrighteous-to be fair dude, that can be said about anything really. It's just MK tends to overkill if you will, but look at comics, tv shows, cartoons etc, etc people get ripped apart, die, come back and take hits that should technically kill you fast just look at the crap Batman's been through over the years lol. He should be dead 100x over by now....the luxury of fiction, you can do anything virtually.

Anyone that gets killed is rewinded by Kronica as long as they still play a part in her plan. lol
That and various other ways lol it's MK, people never stay dead and can come back through several methods lol Gods resurrecting people, the Elder Gods can do so if they wish, Raiden's done it with Liu Kang in the original timeline lol, now Kronika with time manipulation can do it, Quan-Chi being a master necromancer, etc, etc lol.

I thought the comics weren't canon
They are, but only the game tie in ones like MK 1, MK 2, MK 4, Deception, MK vs DC and MK X comics they all tied into the games canon story.

Dead characters coming back is easily explained, MK is a world where sorcery is everyday fact. Some just take longer to come back than others.