What's new

Are IAZB a Bill of Goods?

MK_Chameleon

The wizard of Zod
DISCLAIMER everything mentioning Instant Air Zod Balls (IAZB) was performed by @Relaxedstate since he is known as one of the best players at IAZB. Ok so this is SOME of the stuff I found in like a 30 minute training session.

There is certain heights of IAZB that are just unattainable consistently by any human. All this tech was used using RelaxedStates Lowest and most CONSISTENT IAZBs. Also if it goes under standing Zod ball (SZB) it obviously works on IAZB too.

If any one wants to help me record anything mentioned here hit me up on xbox or just do it yourself I don't care.

Batman-Free dash under IAZB.

Flash-Free dash under IAZB, can Shake through all projectiles, can D3 SZB

Nightwing-Free dash under IAZB (must dash early) Can B3 and ground spark SZB.

MMH-Lol dont even think about any ZB.

Catwoman-Has dodge, can charge B3 dash cancel to go under SZB.

AquaMan-Can FTD on reaction very risky to throw any ZB.

WW-Can dash on reaction if IAZB is done SLIGHTLY high, can D3 under SZB.

Harley-Can charge B3 and dash under IAZB.

Green Lantern-Can B1 even the lowest IAZB this is HUGE for him and changes the matchup dramitcally.

Let me know what you guys think about all this thanks.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
DISCLAIMER everything mentioning Instant Air Zod Balls (IAZB) was performed by @Relaxedstate since he is known as one of the best players at IAZB. Ok so this is SOME of the stuff I found in like a 30 minute training session.

There is certain heights of IAZB that are just unattainable consistently by any human. All this tech was used using RelaxedStates Lowest and most CONSISTENT IAZBs. Also if it goes under standing Zod ball (SZB) it obviously works on IAZB too.

If any one wants to help me record anything mentioned here hit me up on xbox or just do it yourself I don't care.

Green Lantern-Can B1 even the lowest IAZB this is HUGE for him and changes the matchup dramitcally.

You're right

But for example vs Aquaman the meta is blocked FTD then ZOD is lo laser check, low laser MB check, side arm, raw trait summon or IAZB slow or fast

IAZB can be beat by immediate FTD however it is a guess between the above . If he hesitates for a sec a couple things happen. Either gets hit by the ball , definite free trait summon either way or both

It's definitely a strong meta tool but you're right

Vagrant

Noob
I'm sure they're more useful in certain matchups than others.

Always found them incredibly easy on a hitbox. But if your on a pad I assume you just kind of have to accept that they won't consistently be at the same lowest height all the time.

Yoaks

A spaceman

Lobo can also dash under IAZB.

flipkev

Tank Top Guy
Also Deathstroke can just shot you out of any IAZB pressure you try to establish :/

I use IAZB more for meter building, it's almost broken how much bar you can build, but I've got to discover a pattern that is hard to either dash/jump around.

MK_Chameleon

The wizard of Zod
You're right

But for example vs Aquaman the meta is blocked FTD then ZOD is lo laser check, low laser MB check, side arm, raw trait summon or IAZB slow or fast

IAZB can be beat by immediate FTD however it is a guess between the above . If he hesitates for a sec a couple things happen. Either gets hit by the ball , definite free trait summon either way or both

It's definitely a strong meta tool but you're right
A blocked FTD never gets you a trait even in the meta game, the trait activation can be reacted too and will get punished with another FTD with a possible MB and another FTD wasting your trait. Also from full screen this is the proper meta for blocked FTD since low laser does not reach full screen and neither does MB laser, it takes time to travel full screen and can be FTD while its traveling. So its FTD sidearm which can be traded with another FTD.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
IAZB are not broken but they are definitely not a bill of goods. In certain MUs they're not that great, but it's usually the characters that have to run up to you that avoid them and there are other things Zod can do about that. The other MUs he can't do them safely are just bad MUs, that's the way it's gonna be.

I'm starting to get mine very consistent in practice mode and pretty consistent in matches, and I only even started doing them after Winter Brawl. I think they're possible, but I'm just gonna tell anyone who might be wondering up front that THEY'RE FUCKING SO MUCH EASIER ON STICK. I PLAY ON PS3 PAD AND SFxT FIGHTPAD AS WELL AND STICK IS THE TRUTH OF IAZB I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH.

They might be easiest on Hitbox, but I've never used one. I just know they're 100% viable on stick.

GL can b1 under IAZB is great. Only thing that annoys me is when I hit zod with mb oa rocket I can't turbine in if there's a szb on the screen :(

Pig Of The Hut

A blocked FTD never gets you a trait even in the meta game, the trait activation can be reacted too and will get punished with another FTD with a possible MB and another FTD wasting your trait. Also from full screen this is the proper meta for blocked FTD since low laser does not reach full screen and neither does MB laser, it takes time to travel full screen and can be FTD while its traveling. So its FTD sidearm which can be traded with another FTD.
I've played every aqua known to man the way it works is you train them to fear your safe options which opens up your unsafe options . This works on Tom Rico theo offline and online

Pig Of The Hut

Also u would never be full screen vs aqua

You always stay in max full laser range

MK_Chameleon

The wizard of Zod
Pretty much every character except for Big body characters Adam and a very few others can think of them have some answer for IAZB.

MK_Chameleon

The wizard of Zod
Also u would never be full screen vs aqua

You always stay in max full laser range
I agree 100% to stay in laser range but in the meta you are taking all the risk IAZB FTD if you sidearm can trade with FTD. MB laser seems to be best option, cost bar leaves you full screen outside max laser range and even if you try do dash forward to get in full laser range he can punish dash with FTD whats your other option walk forward. lol

Pig Of The Hut

I agree 100% to stay in laser range but in the meta you are taking all the risk IAZB FTD if you sidearm can trade with FTD. MB laser seems to be best option, cost bar leaves you full screen outside max laser range and even if you try do dash forward to get in full laser range he can punish dash with FTD whats your other option walk forward. lol
Well man I'm telling u what works vs tom and all Aquaman

I do extremely well vs them after taking this advice vs Dave and theo is the only one I can't beat consistently

If u don't add reversal IAZB to your meta in this MU it'll never get better . You have to train them

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
This is true, but only for a few charecters. Viking and I tested for about an hour yesterday. For many characters the dashing animation lowers their hitbox, particularly flash, batman, and lobo. It can be hard to time, but with practice very viable.

Catwoman can b3 cancel through the grounded one, then with evade and threat of catdash... she has a lot of answers.
I remember NW not being able to dash them though? (Although well timed ground-sparks go under even the grounded ones).

It changes a few MUs, however pure iazb zoning was only ever effective in a few MUs. So not much has changed really. (like Flash should rarely be iazb zoned anyways). Now that Sinestro and GL have strategies to avoid them, that pretty much only leaves Lex Luthor who is primarily affected (sucks to suck).

They are very situational, and very MU dependent on how they should be used. Still very good tool to have, but I do not want to hear any more IAZB = win button claims

Last edited:

MK_Chameleon

The wizard of Zod
If anything I made this thread to show options around IAZB and to shed light on how much harder ZOD is to play than most other characters.

He takes months and months of training and match up experience to be viable I believe he is top 3 but considering the amount of execution and overall skill needed to play him at that level is frustrating.

Anyone looking for a easy win or trying to use him as a secondary should look elsewhere.

Pig Of The Hut

If anything I made this thread to show options around IAZB and to shed light on how much harder ZOD is to play than most other characters.

He takes months and months of training and match up experience to be viable I believe he is top 3 but considering the amount of execution and overall skill needed to play him at that level is frustrating.

Anyone looking for a easy win or trying to use him as a secondary should look elsewhere.
totally agreed

Zod is tough to use really well

And his harder MUs require little to no execution

PunkMafia83

PSN: YaRnToNpUnKMAFIA

I dabbled with him the weekend. I found out that zod is not a character you can add to ur roster easily. He is a calling, not a counter pick. I feel the same way about flash, Harley, zatana too.