What's new

Question Arcade Stick Users In NRS Games - The Lack Thereof

AbeW

Noob
i will say this: if mk games were always fgc like street fighter aka tournament games, then today the nrs scene would play on dedicated (mk panel layout) arcade sticks, like traditional (for the most part)
pad players in the sf scene are like exception.
mk became fgc with mk9 and most of the top nrs players never played an fighing game before (competitive)
or they played mk only, some older guys. but not fgc, thats the point.
because this arcade stick culture only existed within the fgc. to buy an arcade stick, to build your own stick, to buy parts and so on. most people outside the fgc didnt even know all of this.

exception were some og,s who really played mk in the arcades, some of them keep playing games like mk2 or umk3 with custom-build arcade sticks.

also, i am sure if madcatz, quanba or such company would sell mk-sticks (with umk3 panel) more nrs player would play on sticks.
What dedication to MK do you require? If Tekken, Dragonball, can be played on a regular stick, so can MK. If you're talking about MK themed art, most sticks already let you throw your custom art on it.

AbeW

Noob
Try lugging around an Arcade In A Box stick around EVO... I did this back in 2009 for SF4 and that thing is heavy. This is when there were 1000+ entrants and there was one HUGE pool, not the small ones we see now. I had to carry that thing for 14 HOURS! Would have loved to be a pad player then lol
Get a workout once a year at least dude. You're probably on a couch for the rest of the year hitting buttons! Don't ya wanna get ripped and look like Subzero? Or do you prefer the Bo Rai Cho look? I have seen petite asian girls at tournys carrying arcade sticks, and not complaining like you butterball.

All jokes aside, I wouldn't take a Qanba dragon to EVO. Many lighter sticks out there.

Reactions: JRF

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I used to play on pads before I really understood fighting games, but the moment I got a stick it kinda clicked for me and I never went back to a pad no matter what the game. It really depends on personal preference and what you're used to and switching can be a bit hard, but ultimately it's really what you feel is best for you. I know that a stick helped me get a lot better in general and in IJ2.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I grew up playing MK (and all fighters, for that matter) in the arcades on stick. I can play on pad, but it feels completely foreign to me. The layout I've used since MK9 was as close to the arcade button layout as possible:

1 FS 2
3 BL 4

This way, the block button was always pretty much where I remember it being and close enough to all the buttons that meter burning moves wasn't a hassle. X-Rays were easier as well, as FS and BL are right next to each other.

This is the layout I'll be using for MK11, as well.

MrWarMachine

Jacqui/D'Vorah 2020
So i take it that most of the NRS guys don't play Streefighter/Tekken? or are only casuals at it? Because if you're a serious Streetfighter/Tekken player, you tend to have a fightstick (be a fightstick user).
Smug is currently postulating the possibilities of this statement

Euph0nic

Purple Glowy Stuff
chrisG usually competes, sometimes jwong are they using sticks?
If you get muscle memory down with anything it can be as arbitrarily accurate as you need it. Something about my stick is now a part of me, I take it from sfiv to 3s to sfv to mk9 to mkx, now on my 2nd pcb and 2nd lever - seimitsu short throw octogate for nrs stuff, I swap the square gate sanwa in for street fighter.
wasn't there talk of banning full hitboxes? they seem to be the best. Maybe I should drill some holes...