Aquaman General Discussion

Discussion in 'Aquaman' started by Shawnzzy, May 16, 2017.

1. Cursa

Cursa Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.

B12 is a pretty good footsie string. Air dashes also help her in the neutral and has pretty good jump ins to go with them.

She has good footsies for sure

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  2. jcbowie

jcbowie ...more deadly than the dawn.

Her damage and mobility are her best features, and b1,2,3 is a great tool to get in for safe pressure. The difference now is that you can't just mash d1 after unsafe buttons or in any kind of poke situation and automatically win if the opponent is a frame late. It's still very easy to trip guard and zone and trick the opponent with staggers for easy openings, SG is still top 10.

3. Lex Luthor II

Lex Luthor II Lord of Lightning

We woulda found out if you would beat my SG last night but you declined....

4. Meridian1000

Meridian1000 Banned

Yeah I declined most people last night, I'm trying to work on Raiden. He's still pretty ass. And forgive me I didn't know I HAD to accept everyone.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  5. Lex Luthor II

Lex Luthor II Lord of Lightning

You are forgiven.

It's okay, I almost always get declined.

6. jcbowie

jcbowie ...more deadly than the dawn.

I realize it's not a super relevant tool, and this has probably been asked and answered sufficiently but I couldn't find anything significant on it, but does anyone have recommendations for water shield applications? Besides like using it maybe once or twice ever for weird plus frame situations I can't think of any time I've applied it effectively, any ideas from anyone?

7. Only time I've ever used it is to bait an attack, and MB it. But thats gimmicky af, and only works on people who dont know what it does.

Lex Luthor II likes this.
  8. Cursa

It is a pretty gimmicky move, and seems like a stupid move to use sometimes, but it has its uses. It's not terrible as a sort of counter zoning parry tool against some characters such as Superman or Green Arrow since there zoning is quite slow, but against Fate or Cyborg they're just going to throw a bunch of shit on the screen while you wait in your little water balloon.

Ending rounds is pretty good since people usually just try to go ham and get hits in so you and often do something like wakeup water shield and just end the game if they're weak enough. It also does a pretty good chunk of chip damage even if they block.

Baiting wakeups is also something it's pretty good at. Even if they don't wakeup, usually it's pretty safe to backdash out of it unless you get unlucky and the opponent presses a button at a random time expecting it. You lose pressure doing this but it puts you in jump in range and somewhere close to B1 range which is a pretty good situation to be in vs most of the cast.

Just my 2c.

AyAyRawnYea likes this.
  9. I forgot: use water shield to avoid darkseid teleport and trait setups. Also Atrocitus

Sent from my iPhone using Test Your Might

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Cursa likes this.
  10. Cursa

I think it's stuff like this where water shield shines, in really matchup specific situations.

AyAyRawnYea likes this.
  11. Dankster Morgan

Dankster Morgan Good luck getting through the shell

I use it against slow projectiles but nothing else

12. T-box88

T-box88 Noob

Cuz anything canceled into mb water shield has a big gap. Good players will just back dash it for complete safety. It doesnt launch, if you commit to burning meter immediately you can back 3 mb for a full punish. When it hits it doesnt lead to anything worth while just knocks them away. It might work the first few times as a mind game kinda thing, but overall its a waste of meter. Trident rush is just so much better on block and hit anyway. So why bother?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    AyAyRawnYea and Dr_3k like this.
  13. TyCarter35

TyCarter35 Carried by d1 trident rush and tentacles

I'll use watershield sometimes to fake out some characters into thinking I'm doing FTD then baiting a punish and counterpunish which helps in matchups like BAdam, Atro etc. It is good as a gimmicky wakeup to punish ppl for jumping too much on when aquaman is on knockdown. Has some good uses

Cursa likes this.
  14. It's a little slow for a non invincible wakeup imo

15. Flamelurkr

Flamelurkr Noob

I know its good against cross up oki

16. AkioOf100

AkioOf100 I play Raph

I think Beetle loses to Aquaman.

17. TyCarter35

TyCarter35 Carried by d1 trident rush and tentacles

It's like one frame startup. Like I said I only use it if I know they're going to jump on me when I'm knockdown since opponents like to do it a lot to aquaman if mashing d2 doesn't work out LOL

18. 1 Frame? Feels way way slower...

19. Cursa

It's not actually 1 frame startup. The move list just says that since shield doesn't actually have a point where it stops "Starting up" and starts "hitting" the opponent, so it's just listed as 1 frame.

It's at least 14+ frames startup from what I've found

AyAyRawnYea and Lex Luthor II like this.
  20. Maybe it's just me, but I think ( f1 MB scoop into b3 ) is a way easier link than any other string into ( mb scoop b3. )

21. Cursa

Doesn't F1 launch the opponent slightly? Like it's not a juggle string (I think?) but maybe that's the reason why.

I expect to be totally wrong but I swear it did

22. No, F1 does kinda launch them, which probably explains why it feels easier. Also, F12 is a meterless starter in the corner, so it does kinda bounce them up a good amount. But it's not really used mid combo to the best of my knowledge, it seems a little too sluggish.

23. Thrash Zoo

Thrash Zoo Noob

One of my favorite traps in the corner after plus frames. I typically follow up with 11, 1123xbf2. I wonder if something could do more meterlessly tho?

TheKingQasim likes this.
  24. Maybe add a d2 somewhere in there, but the scaling would be enormous

25. Sazbak

Sazbak Premium Supporter
    Premium Supporter

Please give me some insight into the Aqua vs Supergirl and Wonder Woman matchup.
    Also if anyone is on psn from Europe I'd like to play a few practice matches if possible.