What's new

April Patch Hot takes

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Hot take: Adam has been balanced since the first big balance patch, people who have complained about him in the past have just refused to level up in the match-up because their idea of his gameplan stems from month 1 Adam play.

This nerf is particularly annoying, because it doesn't do much. The damage nerf to low lightning is whatever, but not catching airborne opponents outside of juggles is stupid. Its already a 26f move with crazy recovery, people already can duck on reaction or jump and full combo punish.

kcd117

Noob
I would really like and explanation from people saying atom is top 5 now lol. This pacth didn't change a single matchup for him. Not downplaying, I think he is very good, and a really solid top 10 character, but if you think a character can be top 5 in this game having 5+ bad matchups you should think about it again bc you clearly did it wrong the first time.

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
I would really like and explanation from people saying atom is top 5 now lol. This pacth didn't change a single matchup for him. Not downplaying, I think he is very good, and a really solid top 10 character, but if you think a character can be top 5 in this game having 5+ bad matchups you should think about it again bc you clearly did it wrong the first time.
Even top 10 is questionable due to the amount of characters who are on the same level of balance as him.

He's for sure a contender, but so are a lot of characters imo.

kcd117

Noob
Even top 10 is questionable due to the amount of characters who are on the same level of balance as him.

He's for sure a contender, but so are a lot of characters imo.
I think he has 5 really hard matchups (Brainiac, Robin, Cheetah, Manta, Hellboy) 5 bad ones (Harley, Crow, Catwoman, Firestorm, Bane) and 3 that I think are possibly bad as well (Flash, Canary, Beetle). He possibly has 13 bad matchups imo, there are over 10 characters with less bad matchups than that, but the reason I put have him as top 10 is bc he is the best anti zoner in the game, so if you have an atom on deck people will think twice about counterpicking you with a zoner. He is the best utility character in the game imo, but far from being top 5.

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
I think he has 5 really hard matchups (Brainiac, Robin, Cheetah, Manta, Hellboy) 5 bad ones (Harley, Crow, Catwoman, Firestorm, Bane) and 3 that I think are possibly bad as well (Flash, Canary, Beetle). He possibly has 13 bad matchups imo, there are over 10 characters with less bad matchups than that, but the reason I put have him as top 10 is bc he is the best anti zoner in the game, so if you have an atom on deck people will think twice about counterpicking you with a zoner. He is the best utility character in the game imo, but far from being top 5.
Beetle's bad for sure. One of his worst by far. He's a strong counter zoner but he also gets outfootsied by most of the cast and beaten by a ton of characters who have above average air mobility or buttons. Anti-airing some characters as Atom is borderline impossible. I struggle to anti-air Harley in training where I even know it's coming. Not to mention if you're a character that prevents him from building meter efficiently it hurts him really bad since it reduces his already low damage and basically omits any of his setups.

I don't put him as top 10 because I could put like 15 characters on the roster in any position between 6-10 and put up a solid argument for it anyway. Beetle, Superman, Robin, Starfire, Arrow, Flash etc etc.

Eldagrin

Add me on PS4 if you want to play some games
Harley is a bad MU? I rarely ever play the MU so I feel very lost fighting Atom as Harley. Any tips?

HOT TAKE ALERT
Green Lantern won't be a thing on the competitive scene until he gets a real back dash.
Characters that can expose his gaps push GL’s shit in. Whatch this set with Fern and Semiij....
As long as characters like Catwoman exist It’ll be tough for GL to be competitive.

I’m ok with his back dash being garabage because his forward dash is really good. Could be slightly OP if he had both with the amount of footsie tools he has.

kcd117

Noob
Harley is a bad MU? I rarely ever play the MU so I feel very lost fighting Atom as Harley. Any tips?
I feel like it is. Atom can't zone her out bc her gunshots are very very good to contest his options. Usually characters with air projectiles do a very good job at punishing atom's stomp and harley is no different, which makes him lose both the fullscreen game and the mid range game. Also she has no reason to go in on him and one of atom's problems is when he has to chase people down and make comebacks, which he has at all times in this matchups. From jump range he has no options, he can't anti air or air to air outside of a read, so having to respect it every time she get's closer opens a lot of options up for harley like trait, straight gunshot raw tantrum (as atom is probably walking back)...
This matchup is pretty bad for atom without his trait, and when he has it... well... I don't think I'll live to see her j2 lose a trade against it lol...

Eldagrin

Add me on PS4 if you want to play some games
I feel like it is. Atom can't zone her out bc her gunshots are very very good to contest his options. Usually characters with air projectiles do a very good job at punishing atom's stomp and harley is no different, which makes him lose both the fullscreen game and the mid range game. Also she has no reason to go in on him and one of atom's problems is when he has to chase people down and make comebacks, which he has at all times in this matchups. From jump range he has no options, he can't anti air or air to air outside of a read, so having to respect it every time she get's closer opens a lot of options up for harley like trait, straight gunshot raw tantrum (as atom is probably walking back)...
This matchup is pretty bad for atom without his trait, and when he has it... well... I don't think I'll live to see her j2 lose a trade against it lol...
I don’t think I was playing the full screen zoning game right and the atom I was playing was pretty random, I’ll have to try j2 vs trait next time I’m against one. Raw tantrum caught him backdashing pretty frequently though, I just hate throwing it out that often in the neutral.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
In the patch notes, nothing got changed for Raiden. Some people claim his walk speed got buffed and the pushback on F3 was decreased, but I haven't personally checked whether this is true.
It's not f3 was untouched. Walk speed perhaps. But what we all want is cyborg cancel combos and a better D2.

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
You know what's funny, although most of you are too young to remember this, back in the 1910's in Chicago I remember almost all the paperboys used the term "hot take" as slang for newly from the presses.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
the only buff grodd needs is his 22 1+3 string to be an actual grab. All those cancels with absolutely no real way to open people up.

Wigy

There it is...
the only buff grodd needs is his 22 1+3 string to be an actual grab. All those cancels with absolutely no real way to open people up.
Maybe if they did that while he was in trait along with changing his current trait normal strings to be usable.

I think just giving him a command grab launcher on a string with a decent SC would be Overkill

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Maybe if they did that while he was in trait along with changing his current trait normal strings to be usable.

I think just giving him a command grab launcher on a string with a decent SC would be Overkill
Nah, he would be just like Grundy. The grab is slow enough to jump out of/backdash/mbb3. There would only be one instance where he could do the grab (after you see 2 2, which when its cancelled is 0).

Wigy

There it is...
Johnny has no mixups
Dude what. I keep seeing these seriously reductive comparisons made between characters. I mained cage in mk9 and mkx and grodd is my most used in injustice, trust me there's a plethora of differences most notably being from different games

Wigy

There it is...
Nah, he would be just like Grundy. The grab is slow enough to jump out of/backdash/mbb3. There would only be one instance where he could do the grab (after you see 2 2, which when its cancelled is 0).
I see what you mean and on paper it's fine I would just sort out the other shitty parts for his character design before just stacking on a new scary tool. Like his b1 has gotta be made quicker and link midscreen, his trait normals are entirely pointless also you legit just activate trait mid combo so u can get the vortex/damage

Error

DF2+R2
Hot take: Adam has been balanced since the first big balance patch, people who have complained about him in the past have just refused to level up in the match-up because their idea of his gameplan stems from month 1 Adam play.

This nerf is particularly annoying, because it doesn't do much. The damage nerf to low lightning is whatever, but not catching airborne opponents outside of juggles is stupid. Its already a 26f move with crazy recovery, people already can duck on reaction or jump and full combo punish.
This is a really nice and spicy take