What's new

Mortal Kombat X: Generations webseries (the unreleased MK Legacy Season 3)

Art Lean

Noob
The third MK web series, a follow-up to Legacy, was meant to be released in 2016 as Mortal Kombat X: Generations, featuring the likes of Casper Van Dien as Johnny Cage, Cary Hiroyuki Tagawa as Shang Tsung (who confirmed it was fully filmed and finished) and Ray Park as Erron Black, but has never been released. According to Lewis Tan (Kung Jin) it was cancelled, but anyone got any idea why? If you've got a finished web-series, why not just release it especially with such a high profile cast; it's not like it requires much promotion and surely is only beneficial in expanding brand awareness?

I've managed to dig up these BTS photos from across the web:

Scorpion

Johnny Cage

Johnny Cage

Johnny Cage and young Cassie

Kung Jin

Kung Jin

Kung Jin

Takeda, Scorpion and Erron Black

Last edited:

NickDaGreek1983

Oh, my days !
Ηonestly, you might actually know more than any of us in here already. For instance, I've never seen those Takeda, Scorpion, Erron pictures before.

I followed the project quite a lot back when it was "hot" and "news" but suddenly anyone that posted news concerning it, stopped posting and everything went dark .
I don't know how to feel about it because I ALWAYS want new MK material (movie, series or whatever ) but I don't know how I could feel if it was total junk, had it been published.

Art Lean

Noob
I have never seen these images before. Maybe they thought the series sucked and wasn’t worth releasing.
Considering The Journey Begins, Defenders of the Realm, Annihilation and Special Forces were all released internationally in retail formats, it would have to be astoundingly awful to justify not releasing in a free format (and given the talent involved, I refuse to believe that it could ever be that bad, especially when a 2016 release date was announced after it was completed).

Last edited:

Art Lean

Noob
Finally found a vague reason as to why it was shelved by director Garrett Warren:

“I can say this – between Warner Bros and NetherRealm Studios, there were certain things that each of them wanted from it, or to use it for.” says Warren. “And that’s basically why it hasn’t been released, because each of those entities weren’t really able to settle on what was going to happen with it and for what purpose. Ultimately, for it to be released, fans of Mortal Kombat really need to reach out and say, ‘Hey, we’d like to see Mortal Kombat season three.'”

Still doesn't make much sense to me though, it was going to be released for free, so why not just release it anyway, you know, for free? Especially as something to keep interest going in the live action MK media with the movie undoubtedly being delayed due to covid.

Given that sadly no one seems to care and only interested in whether Mileena or Ash appear in MK11, I guess it's just going to rot away in a garden shed somewhere. Shame, was looking forward to Cassie in live action, more Tagawa Shang and our first introduction of Lewis Tan in a Mortal Kombat role.

NickDaGreek1983

Oh, my days !
Finally found a vague reason as to why it was shelved by director Garrett Warren:

. Ultimately, for it to be released, fans of Mortal Kombat really need to reach out and say, ‘Hey, we’d like to see Mortal Kombat season three.'”
Ι , for one, was totally hooked when season 2 ended with Brian Tee's Kang facing Dacascos' Lao in a wide angle stand off in the back with cage's and stryker's lying bodies on the front...

As an MK junkie, I wanted to see how Tancharoen's story would wrap up. I always thought it would be great to see a vfx fight of Shang vs Raiden. Kang backstabbing Shang to take his place as the big bad after taking out all of earthrealm's heroes.
In my opinion, Brian Tee gave a great performance.

On the down side, the subzero-Scorpion fight was meh... They held their punches and it showed!

Ermac-Kenshi was good. The effects were ok but I can get that given the tight bufget , it was hard to get a better job than this.
Having Cary Hiroyuki Tagawa in an MK project was a blessing.

The bar fight was great...
I don't know...
I just hope the MK reboot we are waiting turns to be good.

I don't know, all these web series bs were pretty bad, and taking a quick glance at the photos, the production value was absolutely not there, literaly some Scorpion mediocre cosplayer could do better than that. Looks like halloween gone wrong.

Kung Jin was hot though, nice.

NickDaGreek1983

Oh, my days !
I don't know, all these web series bs were pretty bad, and taking a quick glance at the photos, the production value was absolutely not there, literaly some Scorpion mediocre cosplayer could do better than that. Looks like halloween gone wrong.

Kung Jin was hot though, nice.
I get what you mean about the costumes looking cheap. I'm with you on that.
But I guess editing/filtering does wonders!
I mean, look at the backstage photo of erron, takeda and scorpion (all 3 of them look from meh to bad) and then look at the very 1st photo of scorpion. He looks great there!

Art Lean

Noob
I get what you mean about the costumes looking cheap. I'm with you on that.
But I guess editing/filtering does wonders!
I mean, look at the backstage photo of erron, takeda and scorpion (all 3 of them look from meh to bad) and then look at the very 1st photo of scorpion. He looks great there!
Oh absolutely, that last photo is clearly outdoors at night, either lit by a floodlight or the camera's flash, they're all off-set and out of character, harshly lit, smiling for the camera, thereby the colour of Scorpion's mask even looks completely different to the first promotional photo at the top for that very reason.

It's just sadly the only group cast photo that even seems to exist.

Without having any reference photos of how Takeda, Scorpion and Erron would look under genuine filming conditions as crafted by the cinematographer, I won't cast any judgements on the show as a whole based upon one behind the scenes smiley photo. Granted it's not on this same level of costume-design anyway (and no, I'm not comparing a cinematic classic to a video game web series), but it's a bit like saying the original Alien looks crap because of a photo like this:

Art Lean

Noob
If anyone's interested, the fantastic Mortal Kombat podcast series Realm Kast are doing a live feature on it next week on 04/03/2021, featuring director Garrett Warren, so set your reminders; maybe we can all get this released one day if we help spread the word and fan demand to both WB and NRS who have been the ones holding it back due to marketing disagreements:

Last edited:

Art Lean

Noob
Thanks to NickDaGreek1983 for alerting us to it having been reposted on Youtube, here's 8 minutes of raw footage from the series that was released onto Vimeo 4 years ago. Felt it best to move the discussion to this thread so as to not take the movie's trailer thread off-topic, but also make it easier to find if anyone's interested in this series:

"RAW Footage from the First Assembly. No color, no sound, no visual effects, NOT THE FINAL EDIT. This is the worst possible shape this footage could be in but hey, here it is."

Last edited:

Art Lean

Noob
Not sure how I missed this before, but Casper Van Dien uploaded a few more photos from behind the scenes of Generations to his Instagram, including the first ever look at D'Vorah, in reference to his interview with Realm Kast a few months back (during which he offers some more insight into the unreleased series, confirmed it was fully completed with special effects and was way better than the raw footage that got leaked):

http://instagr.am/p/Cgt7kjiulE-/

Last edited: