What's new

Anyone else going to be checking out Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I'm just curious if anyone else is planning on checking out Virtua Fighter when it comes out June 1st on PS4? It's going to be a PS Plus game, so it's basically free. VF is the one fighting game I played for a bit as a kid, and I've always wanted a chance to go back and try and learn it proper, so I'm excited to give it a shot.

There's some good resources out there for learning the game:

https://discord.com/invite/YHrX37d

I'm hoping some of the bigger competitive names in the NRS FGC at least give it a shot, I'd love to see what Sonic Fox can do (I think they actually used to play it back in the day, there's some ECT 4 footage on YouTube). I'd also love to see what someone like BioHazard does with Wolf, I feel like he'd be particularly suited to a game like VF.

Anyway, hope everyone gives VF a shot, it's a really fun game. Simple, but a ton of depth.

Immortal

Blind justice....
I wish they made a modern Virtua Fighter with some sort of rollback netcode and for all platforms with crossplay. One can dream.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I am not holding my breath for it to have rollback netcode, so it's kind of a dead title for me.
I'd love rollback netcode, but at this point I'm just happy to see VF being released and promoted again. Hopefully if there's enough interest and demand for it they'll incorporate rollback netcode at a future date.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I'm having weird feelings about it. I haven't paid for PS Plus for some time, and would have to do that just to get and get on online. It's kind of bad timing with Strive and the age of the PS4. I do want to show interest if this is really a "do people care about VF" release.

It's a maybe, and more likely a probably given I just get everything. Sure don't have time to play everything though.

Ashesfall

"Feel the wrath of Shao Kahn"
I mean this game will be free for me, as a ps+ member.
I always preferred 3D over 2D, so even if this game has no rollback netcode, I will at least check out all the cool moves and animations in training mode again.
A little bit CPU play to have some fun too.
This game is already so old and you can easily see why I have such a bad opinion about the 3D MK era, amateur animations ... embarrassing. But don't get me wrong, I really hope with today's standards and budget to see the next MK title be 3D again.

Again, big wasted opportunity, if it has shitty netplay.
(But maybe they even update it in future, that's still a possibility.)

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I really hope with today's standards and budget to see the next MK title be 3D again.
I actually wouldn't mind that. It would make things feel really refreshed or new, so that's cool. But I feel like a lot of the MK Fan base at large is so used to MK9, MKX, and MK11 at this point that changing to 3D would throw them off too much.

Ashesfall

"Feel the wrath of Shao Kahn"
This video by rooflemonger is really informative, worth watching.
---
I am already imagining 3D MK Brutalities, where the body parts fly dynamically through the stage, making it look unique every time. 3D MK would for sure bring in a totally new light, after 3 2D title in a row (with no legacy anyways). I just hope MK11 is not done, the best 2D title to me and I usually don't play 2D anymore.

Enh. 3d fighters have their place, but it is by no means better than 2d. There are some extra positional options (DoA environments, ring outs, ridiculous Tekken wall juggles), but it is never as smooth as the 2d experience.

I'd love rollback netcode, but at this point I'm just happy to see VF being released and promoted again. Hopefully if there's enough interest and demand for it they'll incorporate rollback netcode at a future date.
That's not how it works. We have bought JP fighting games for 15 years now, hoping they'd add in rollback in the next game and somehow we still got Granblue and DBFZ with shit netcode. Let your wallet speak.

If I had to choose between playing a shitty console exclusive port of a 15 year old fighting game complete with online lag and Guilty Gear Strive...

Well yeah I just preordered Strive for the netcode alone.

trufenix

bye felicia
It being called VF x Esports in Japan only is a pretty bad sign for rollback. Still, don't really have an excuse NOT to get this. Its free for two months, and if you play fighters on PS4 you should already have plus.

trufenix

bye felicia
This video by rooflemonger is really informative, worth watching.
---
I am already imagining 3D MK Brutalities, where the body parts fly dynamically through the stage, making it look unique every time. 3D MK would for sure bring in a totally new light, after 3 2D title in a row (with no legacy anyways). I just hope MK11 is not done, the best 2D title to me and I usually don't play 2D anymore.
lot of misplaced hope for VF6, but covers the stream nicely. Its a damned shame we're already at the pitchfork stage of rhetoric about the games online play though, VF can use all the support it can get outside Japan.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
I would give it some support even if 3D fighters aren't really my thing. Problem is I don't play on consoles, so there's that!

Since they're re-releasing it, it should be available on more platforms.

Ilthuain

Lost in a labyrinth of egoism
I love VF, but the netcode issue is a deal breaker.

If it was a new game, I'd still pick it up if only to play the CPU and mess about in training mode, but it doesn't look like this offers much more than the version I bought 11 years ago. I also doubt there will be much of a local offline scene for a remaster.

Ilthuain

Lost in a labyrinth of egoism
Seeing as how you're ALREADY casting doubt on it!
Just being realistic here. Single platform games that people can't realistically play online that were originally released over a decade ago won't generate the energy that new n' shiny games will.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I guess when it comes to Rollback, my thoughts are:

Yes, they should have absolutely done rollback netcode, and it totally sucks that they didn't. It's dumb not too, especially if you're trying to drum up support and start to try and tap into the E Sports competetion scene. For that matter people are also correct when they point out that VF5US is basically just a remaster of a 10+ year old game with almost no known changes.

That being said, it's still a great game, and if you have PS Plus it's free so it literally costs you nothing other than time to simply check it out and see how the online plays.

We have an "old man" corner at our local that still regularly runs SF 2 and Darkstalkers...they are fucking HYPED for this. I might have them teach me the ways of VF just for the grapplers.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Do you think VF6 (multiplatform) could exist in the near future?
I guess that depends on your definition of near future. My most optimistic thought: They've already started working on VF6, and the re-release of VF5 is just to give people a taste and get the conversation going before dropping the VF6 announcement. If that's the case, I could see VF6 coming out mid to late 2022. I'm assuming Sony is helping to bankroll the project, so I assume that the game would be a Sony exclusive.

Less optimistic thought: Sega and Sony are still in the "how marketable would a VF6 be?" stage, and are using VF5US as a gauge of interest and a guinea pig to see how a VF game would go in terms of development and general reception. If that's the case then I'd imagine the timeline would be somewhere in the late 2022-2023-2024 range. But I honestly have no idea how long it takes to make a video game.

I'm kind of assuming that if VF6 happens it'll just be a PS exclusive, although I thought I saw on Twitter that some people were data mining and found some evidence that VF5US might just be a timed exclusive. Just the barest of rumors on that though, completely unsubstantiated.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
It takes an average of 4 years to develop a modern game from scratch. So either it's already being made, or it never will be.
Considering they redid the graphics engine for this, and that VS is very much a legacy game, if things went well, VF6 could be built on top of what they are pushing out next week.

It wouldn't be from scratch in that case, it would be, we added some moves, a mechanic, and two new characters. Made some stages and here is VF6. Would still take a minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.