What's new

Question Any truth to this? (MK12 info)

MK2D

Have you had your MK today?

Sounds like complete speculation but gotta say it’s not half bad and I’m loving the roster.

Curious to see what anyone might know about the new game that they’re reportedly skipping to. I know there was a new IP in the works but apparently AFAIK, due to the possible shakeup at WB over NRS’ future and needing a sure bet they decided to jump right into the next MK. I was really hoping the series would get a good breather to allow more time for fresh ideas after NRS branches out a bit, but if that wasn’t possible then hopefully they’re cool enough with going back to MK ahead of schedule to do the next iteration justice.

Sounds like complete speculation but gotta say it’s not half bad and I’m loving the roster.

Curious to see what anyone might know about the new game that they’re reportedly skipping to. I know there was a new IP in the works but apparently AFAIK, due to the possible shakeup at WB over NRS’ future and needing a sure bet they decided to jump right into the next MK. I was really hoping the series would get a good breather to allow more time for fresh ideas after NRS branches out a bit, but if that wasn’t possible then hopefully they’re cool enough with going back to MK ahead of schedule to do the next iteration justice.
It mentions Ross from Friends as a guest character...

Unless it's officially announced, don't believe any swill you read online.

There's also this:

"Note: Idea credit for Lotus & Rose goes to my friend Zach, he created them, i put a twist on them.

Creator: The Gaming Zambi, Kuting Kuting100

Edit from the creator: Please don't add to my page at all. I'll work on it soon, just not right now, I'm focusing on my personal life currently, and also don't create separate pages for the characters as well please. Thanks!"

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Edit: Yeah upon further review this seems like just an attempt for clicks and lulz. The Story Plot seems written by a kid, and the roster/guest characters are obviously fake.

Last edited:
Edit: Yeah upon further review this seems like just an attempt for clicks and lulz. The Story Plot seems written by a kid, and the roster/guest characters are obviously fake.
I didn't even bother reading the story plot. Considering at the top of the page is the credit to various friends, it's obviously fake.

Even calling it "Onaga's Revenge" screams fake to me.

While they obviously have fans and a following, the 3D era is the lowest point for the series, and NetherRealm and Warner Brothers seems reluctant to go there, honestly.

Look at the games of the modern trilogy:

• Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition retells the original trilogy
  • Mortal Kombat XL retells Mortal Kombat 4 with a select few base themes or references from some of the 3D era.
  • Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate does it's own thing while bringing back the original trilogy era.
Look at the now de-canonized Mortal Kombat X comics: 3D era characters were brought in to basically die.

Looks at the latest feature film, the two anime films, and any other official media of the last decade. 3D era stuff is mentioned here and there, or used sparingly, but it's always the original trilogy concepts, or something entirely different.

Going properly back to 3D era plot lines and characters doesn't seem to be something they want to do.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
It is interesting to think about though, what plot would an MK12 even have? Would it just be some kind of re-booted timeline? If not how do you create realistic tension when where you left the story is "Liu Kang is now a god and master of time and can control everything"?

This is why time travel and timelines are dumb to put into stories, because it takes away all future stakes and makes everything meaningless.

It is interesting to think about though, what plot would an MK12 even have? Would it just be some kind of re-booted timeline? If not how do you create realistic tension when where you left the story is "Liu Kang is now a god and master of time and can control everything"?

This is why time travel and timelines are dumb to put into stories, because it takes away all future stakes and makes everything meaningless.
A couple of thoughts here: Time travel and different timelines can be good or bad, depending on how they're done. I actually really liked how it was implemented in Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition as it didn't invalidate the original timeline at all, all that stuff needed to happen for Raiden to send his memories back, but it allowed for things to go differently and for them to free themselves up to pursue stories free of the 3D-era.

Coming from Mortal Kombat XL though, who would have thought we'd get another time travel story, with an expansion that was yet another time travel story. I didn't have an issue with it unto itself, or that they were going for a Crisis of infinite Earth vibe, but it felt redundant to me.

So where do they go from here? Again, are they actually going to follow off the end of Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate, or will they do something completely different? If they follow off it, who's ending? You can either have Fire God Liu Kang and the Great Kung Lao era, or Shang Tsung as the Titan of Time/Elder God trying to conquer other realms. The latter sounds more interesting to me.

I simply expect they'll do something entirely different this time.

On an aside, a story line that in my opinion had so much potential it could have been it's own full game: the Outworld civil war. We had the familiar Outworld setting, but with different politics and opportunity for insight and development that we've never seen before. It was far more interesting than the Brotherhood of Shadow/Shinnok plot line. I really wish more had been done with it.

Update: A big flaw I see with studios in general today (Blizzard Entertainment, NetherRealm Studios, 343 Industries, etc.) today is they're always going for massive and "epic" storylines with the fate of the world/galaxy/universe at stake, when you don't need anything that big to be engaging and intriguing. In fact not going massive tends to keep things more real and grounded.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I kind of like the idea of doing the Great Kung Lao era, essentially MK12: Mortal Kombat Alpha. Build out a roster and story around characters that would have been around at that point in the timeline. It'd be an easy way or excuse to introduce new characters, which is actually something I prefer. I'm likely in the minority on that front though.

I kind of like the idea of doing the Great Kung Lao era, essentially MK12: Mortal Kombat Alpha. Build out a roster and story around characters that would have been around at that point in the timeline. It'd be an easy way or excuse to introduce new characters, which is actually something I prefer. I'm likely in the minority on that front though.
I'd be curious to see how they'd shoe horn Scorpion in there.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I'd be curious to see how they'd shoe horn Scorpion in there.
Easy. They could either do the "Here's Hanzo Hasashi's distant relative" thing, and he'd be the stand in for Scorpion, or they could go with someone else as the current leader of the Shirai Ryu and that would work to the same effect. You could still have your Scorpions, Sub Zeros, whoever, with all the familiar moves we know and love, but just a slightly different name or background. It'd basically be one big origin story for a ton of characters.

Hara-Killer

Reverse Salt
could u imagine how much would cost that mk 12 with more than 120 chars each with lot of fatalitys and brutalitys and skins ....... maaaaaaaan :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Easy. They could either do the "Here's Hanzo Hasashi's distant relative" thing, and he'd be the stand in for Scorpion, or they could go with someone else as the current leader of the Shirai Ryu and that would work to the same effect. You could still have your Scorpions, Sub Zeros, whoever, with all the familiar moves we know and love, but just a slightly different name or background. It'd basically be one big origin story for a ton of characters.
Aye, that's true. We already know there were ancestors for Sub-Zero and even Cage.

DoDaMuSiC

Ermac ftw
Yep, all of this is true, my cousin who works at nrs confirmed all of it and they plan to announce it on February 31st 2022.
He also said that there’s a kombat pack 16, 17 and 18 as well that weren’t leaked, so expect even more characters than they listed there

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Obviously this is real. It was released in 2019. Just go grab a pre-owned copy at gamestop!

Seriously.......WTF is this post?

If it doesn't sound half bad and you're loving the roster it's 100% fake.

Bran

Noob
Just wanted to clarify something for some of the posts:

There is a community for wiki's that are just fan fiction. Search hard enough and you will find them for all types of games. It's just a creative outlet for fans to write their ideas for video games, movies, etc. They aren't attempting to deceive anyone, it's just a meta piece of fan fiction.