What's new

Strategy - Slasher Any Slasher Strategies/tips?

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I know Jason is considered bottom tier and a little brain-dead but since this is the likely the only MK game he will ever be in I am going to ride it out and enjoy him while I have the chance lol with that said...

I do fairly well with the character imo but I do feel like I am hitting a wall of sorts, especially against people that know the match up really well and with characters whose attacks come out faster than his. There really isn't much I can do but attempt to pressure them and hope a mistake is made. I have no problem blocking correctly and waiting for an opening for the most part, but sometimes even that is dangerous (Flame Fist Liu Kang) So I guess my problem is opening people up with him.

Any tips or ideas?

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
id say he is pretty strong now with recent patches.

use his obnoxious GrabEX and nasty range JIP into F42 OH low OH into Grab

try his advancing sholder strings that are safe on block, you can chip them with pressure untill they retaliate then simply Grab or beat them in air with his JIP range

Blade4693

VIVIVI
id say he is pretty strong now with recent patches.

use his obnoxious GrabEX and nasty range JIP into F42 OH low OH into Grab

try his advancing sholder strings that are safe on block, you can chip them with pressure untill they retaliate then simply Grab or beat them in air with his JIP range
Awesome, thank you! I do think I need to try the shoulder strings more, I have a nasty habit of always EXing the shoulder charge and sending my opponents flying across the screen instead of trying to do them in the corner and branching attacks off of it lol

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Sorry for the double post

Don't be afraid to just do f4 grab or f4 f4 they are always scared of the overhead you'll hit it a lot of the time. Also abuse ex df1 that move will catch everything.
That's a good idea, I actually never thought of trying that before, that should definitely help some since most people anticipate the overheard right after the low, thank you.

Khaoz77

Don't run, you're gonna trip...
What I usually like to do is use 1,2~bf3 or 3,2 to inch in on my opponent. I also noticed that 2,3 catches a lot of people off guard, but be sure to use this when you are slightly in the corner. Other than that, it's just about keeping your opponent honest with advancing normals and checking them with bf3 and the Machete Toss.

Always be about max range f4 away from your opponent and just play the match according to how your opponent reacts to certain things. Slasher Jason is all about countering your opponent's momentum and turning things against them when they think they have the advantage. At least that's how I look at it.

I hope I was able to be of help.
J A S O N B O Y S

Blade4693

VIVIVI
What I usually like to do is use 1,2~bf3 or 3,2 to inch in on my opponent. I also noticed that 2,3 catches a lot of people off guard, but be sure to use this when you are slightly in the corner. Other than that, it's just about keeping your opponent honest with advancing normals and checking them with bf3 and the Machete Toss.

Always be about max range f4 away from your opponent and just play the match according to how your opponent reacts to certain things. Slasher Jason is all about countering your opponent's momentum and turning things against them when they think they have the advantage. At least that's how I look at it.

I hope I was able to be of help.
J A S O N B O Y S
I do think I need to utilize charge and toss more, I have a habit of only using charge on wake up and only using toss when there is a huge distance between us. Ill also try the 1,2 charge, I don't think I have ever tried that.

Thank you for your advice and input!

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Some people have already written some good stuff. But, here are four general Slasher tips that I haven't seen explicitly mentioned yet in this thread:

1) Never use meter in your combos. One of Slasher's biggest strengths is his fantastic meterless damage. Save all of your meter for armored specials to interrupt pressure. In general, Jason is all about his armor (even ex-machete toss has armor, which is just awesome). Make sure you save as much meter for as much armor as you possibly can. The only time you should ever be using meter in your combos is to end a round.

2) Use 112 and 122 more. IMO, these are two extremely underused strings in Jason's arsenal. 112 is great for punishing crouching opponents who are expecting 111. And because every Jason player in the world abuses 111, 112 is very hard to anticipate. 122 is actually one of his best footsie tools and has essentially all of the same properties that 111 has (except for the cancel advantage). 122 and 112 are both criminally underused.

3) B122 is particularly useful as a meaty attack to stuff opponents waking up either completely without armor or with slow-starting armor (for example - predator's Scimitar stab/slam). In general, abuse this string.

4) Use ex-BF2 more frequently in the neutral. Another underrated footsie tool that punishes your opponent for pressing buttons. I also use it a lot after d1 and d4.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Some people have already written some good stuff. But, here are four general Slasher tips that I haven't seen explicitly mentioned yet in this thread:

1) Never use meter in your combos. One of Slasher's biggest strengths is his fantastic meterless damage. Save all of your meter for armored specials to interrupt pressure. In general, Jason is all about his armor (even ex-machete toss has armor, which is just awesome). Make sure you save as much meter for as much armor as you possibly can. The only time you should ever be using meter in your combos is to end a round.

2) Use 112 and 122 more. IMO, these are two extremely underused strings in Jason's arsenal. 112 is great for punishing crouching opponents who are expecting 111. And because every Jason player in the world abuses 111, 112 is very hard to anticipate. 122 is actually one of his best footsie tools and has essentially all of the same properties that 111 has (except for the cancel advantage). 122 and 112 are both criminally underused.

3) B122 is particularly useful as a meaty attack to stuff opponents waking up either completely without armor or with slow-starting armor (for example - predator's Scimitar stab/slam). In general, abuse this string.

4) Use ex-BF2 more frequently in the neutral. Another underrated footsie tool that punishes your opponent for pressing buttons. I also use it a lot after d1 and d4.
Really good stuff here as well, thank you, ill be sure to keep all of this in mind! I do try to utilize the 112 more often but a lot of the times I think I press too fast and 111 comes out, but when I do use it it works since most people are blocking low waiting for the f42 to come out lol