What's new

Any good video or written guides? Brand new player

Jaws

Noob
Hi guys, I am totally new to fighting games for the most part. I've played a little SF but never an NRS game and I picked up black adam in inj 2. I was just wondering if there were any good written or video guides on how to approach the character in a general sense. I saw a user on here had a video series awhile back but he seems to have made his videos private.

Overall, I think I am just kind of overwhelmed by the amount of stuff I need to learn about fighting games in general, let alone all the char specific stuff for Black adam. I am not sure if there is some sort of natural progression to going about it, like "learn your special moves, learn your strings, learn 1 mid screen combo, 1 corner combo, etc", rr if it's more about picking up bits and pieces here and there. More abstract concepts like the neutral and footsies seem even less approachable haha.

Sorry for the wall of text, I guess I am just trying to get a general sense of how to play the character and what my general gameplan is. Any sort of consolidated information would be really useful.

Cerbero

Always down for games.
Check out Dragon & Slayer matches.

Also start by learning his bnbs & set ups

We can play online, it has training mode I could teach you what I’ve learn so far.

Jaws

Noob
Check out Dragon & Slayer matches.

Also start by learning his bnbs & set ups

We can play online, it has training mode I could teach you what I’ve learn so far.
Thanks for the vid! That will definitely help. I had a question about adams offense. General speaking I try to do low lightning mixed in with divekicks and play keep away. When I am pressuring I am pressing f12 a lot. And usually people start blocking low. Then I start doing b2 but I am not sure what I can get off of it and which finisher I should be doing. IIRC there is 3 endings off of B2? I don't know if I should be cancelling into a special or if there is a combo I can get off of the overhead.

When people start figuring out the overhead or f12 I am not really sure how to open them up anymore.

Cerbero

Always down for games.
Do B2 trait, hit confirm into f12/22b1/113 etc.

Usually players end combos with f12,throw but if you are going for set ups do 13 for HKD.

off jump in I usually go for 113trait is hella plus on block, then 112/11 low light mix up/ throw/f3 etc.

Players use f12trait as punisher but you can do 113MB DB1, b2 enders for more damage+saves trait. S1 is 6frames btw.

Some low hurtbox chars u gotta do d1trait... tight window but doable.

Practice Instant air divekicks combos till you get them right etc.

With Adam you wanna play a patient defensive play style, let them come to you, make them make mistakes, whiff punish with f12 etc.
Players will start low profiling your f12 so mix it b2 and b12trait.

I’ll be back once I think of more.

Cerbero

Always down for games.
I love how my thread got instant hate by trolls, scrubs, egomaniacs aka Tweedy, players that fool themselves into thinking they’re top players etc.... yet this one thread gets no attention whatsoever since the user is asking for honest help.

I guess egos can’t be inflated by just offering genuine help lol

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Well I just saw the thread, and honestly, bringing that stuff into this thread serves no point and is nothing but a problem waiting to happen.

That said, it's awesome you're trying to help him out. We need as much of that as humanly possible in the community.

Now, on to the OP. I can't help you with Adam personally because I don't know him very well at all, but if you haven't yet, search for a thread called The Grindstone and give some thought to joining the list. Even if you don't you can pull names off the list there for people to play against, we have pretty much all feasible hours covered, and most regions and areas have at least SOME representation. Same with platforms, though PS4 is the predominant version.

Everyone is friendly and most are more than happy to help new players with advice or sets or anything in between. @Cerbero 's offer of online training mode is an great one too, there's a TON to be learned that way.

https://testyourmight.com/threads/the-grindstone-training-network-find-training-partners-lvl-up-git-gud.65759/page-24#post-2360344

Jaws

Noob
Well I just saw the thread, and honestly, bringing that stuff into this thread serves no point and is nothing but a problem waiting to happen.

That said, it's awesome you're trying to help him out. We need as much of that as humanly possible in the community.

Now, on to the OP. I can't help you with Adam personally because I don't know him very well at all, but if you haven't yet, search for a thread called The Grindstone and give some thought to joining the list. Even if you don't you can pull names off the list there for people to play against, we have pretty much all feasible hours covered, and most regions and areas have at least SOME representation. Same with platforms, though PS4 is the predominant version.

Everyone is friendly and most are more than happy to help new players with advice or sets or anything in between. @Cerbero 's offer of online training mode is an great one too, there's a TON to be learned that way.

https://testyourmight.com/threads/the-grindstone-training-network-find-training-partners-lvl-up-git-gud.65759/page-24#post-2360344
All the help so far has been great just gotta take time to ingest it all. My execution is crap so its going to be awhile before i even feel comfortable implementing some of it. I play on PC so probably going to be harder to find but I will take a look at the thread thanks!

Hi guys, I am totally new to fighting games for the most part. I've played a little SF but never an NRS game and I picked up black adam in inj 2. I was just wondering if there were any good written or video guides on how to approach the character in a general sense. I saw a user on here had a video series awhile back but he seems to have made his videos private.

Overall, I think I am just kind of overwhelmed by the amount of stuff I need to learn about fighting games in general, let alone all the char specific stuff for Black adam. I am not sure if there is some sort of natural progression to going about it, like "learn your special moves, learn your strings, learn 1 mid screen combo, 1 corner combo, etc", rr if it's more about picking up bits and pieces here and there. More abstract concepts like the neutral and footsies seem even less approachable haha.

Sorry for the wall of text, I guess I am just trying to get a general sense of how to play the character and what my general gameplan is. Any sort of consolidated information would be really useful.
Mostly you try to learn with what you're most comfortable with first. Then you play as many games as you can. Whenever you lose go back and try to figure out what you lost to and how you can improve.

It is not necessary to know everything to play. You can play with little to no knowledge at first and still be getting better. You can start against bots but make sure you play online because it's nothing like the bots. Just make sure that if you're ever confused to why you're losing or how to stop something go back and look for an answer, whether that be in practice mode you record what you're opponent was doing or you just realize that you need to be less predictable.

Eventually when you can, you should watch what pro players like to do with the character you play as and not only copy them but learn why they do what they do. That means watching some tutorials on the simple stuff and looking at new tech and learning from your mistakes.

Last edited:

Jaws

Noob
Mostly you try to learn with what you're most comfortable with first. Then you play as many games as you can. Whenever you lose go back and try to figure out what you lost to and how you can improve.

It is not necessary to know everything to play. You can play with little to no knowledge at first and still be getting better. You can start against bots but make sure you play online because it's nothing like the bots. Just make sure that if you're ever confused to why you're losing or how to stop something go back and look for an answer, whether that be in practice mode you record what you're opponent was doing or you just realize that you need to be less predictable.

Eventually when you can you should watch what pro players like to do with the character you play as and not only copy them but learn why they do what they do
That makes sense. Thats pretty much how I have been going about it. Get hit by something I don't how it works go to training mode and figure it out. I guess I will just try to play as many matches as I can. Appreciate the advice

That makes sense. Thats pretty much how I have been going about it. Get hit by something I don't how it works go to training mode and figure it out. I guess I will just try to play as many matches as I can. Appreciate the advice
Hope it helps. For awhile I did not truly understand what I was doing wrong and the only way I realized it was from my own training not from some guide or some person telling me to be honest. Guides are helpful and trainers are good however you are your best guide and trainer.

If you ever get opened up by something or hit someone else with something learn how and why do not only can you stop it but you can do it to your opponents.

On a basic level black Adam isn't always about directly mixing up the opponent. Mostly youll want to do stuff like for chip and f12 trait throw or throw bait. However doing things like f12 low lighting, f1 low lighting, f1 throw or f12, 112 trait b2 low lightning will catch people for sure if they are fuzzying and not reacting. This can be blown up with an interrupt but then you start conditioning and finding new ways to blow up the blow up. for some legit mixups tho just go for like throw or string/neutral jump or mb f3.

Last edited:

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
If you're on PC that's DEFINITELY a good reason to join the list. PC is almost certainly going yo be the odd man out platform when it comes to players,so building the PC side of the list is going to be really important. I don't mean to pressure you or anything at all, so please don't think that - just saying we have some PC folks who seem really motivated to play and build the PC side of the games community.

I'll probably be PCing it up myself at some point, but not until I find a hell of a deal since I have so much invested in the PS4 version lol.