What's new

Any good tips for fighting Firestorm?

Th4tDrewDude

Obscure AF Joker Player
Even though I don't fight firestorm that often on ranked, every time I go against one I usually get bodied. I'm super unfamiliar with the matchup, do you guys have any tips, or even know any characters I could pocket to deal with him?

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Deadshot and Supes are his proper counterpicks imo, Batman and Catwoman also give him a lot of trouble though.

What exactly is it that's giving you trouble? I've played Firestorm since launch and only semi-recently shifted my attention to Supes so I should be able to help out

Th4tDrewDude

Obscure AF Joker Player
Deadshot and Supes are his proper counterpicks imo, Batman and Catwoman also give him a lot of trouble though.

What exactly is it that's giving you trouble? I've played Firestorm since launch and only semi-recently shifted my attention to Supes so I should be able to help out
It's pretty much unfamiliarity. I've only fought against a few so I don't really know what he does or how he works. All I know is I got zoned tf out and kept getting trapped. I play a lot of batman so I'll probably start using him more against firestorm when I get the chance (the character I play the most is Joker)

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
It's pretty much unfamiliarity. I've only fought against a few so I don't really know what he does or how he works. All I know is I got zoned tf out and kept getting trapped. I play a lot of batman so I'll probably start using him more against firestorm when I get the chance (the character I play the most is Joker)
Batman can somewhat zone FS if he has a lifelead, unless FS has trait. And he outpressures FS upclose while getting comparable damage.

FS is mostly a rush down character tbh, to get past his zoning just duck, walk, duck, walk. You'll duck the fireball and block trap as the trap is a low and fireball is a high. He's not going to be chipping you or doing any damage with his own zoning, it's just to build a bit of meter to use for when you inevitably get in.

His buttons for playing neutral are pretty average except for B2, his splat OH. However he only gets 7% off this unless he's on lvl 3 trait. When he is on level 3 trait watch out though cause he can get big damage into a vortex from it.

Up close he gets + frames off MbBurst and 112. After MbBurst, which you'll be seeing more than 112, he's +4 which is plus enough to frame trap into B1(his mid) which he gets a 50/50 from. You can back dash the B1 depending on the character but B12 will blow certain back dashes up.

His mixup options are either B2 and low trap or B12 and B1xxlowtrap. All options are unsafe except for B2 so make sure to get your punishes down.

That's all I've got rn, should cover most of the basics. If you've got any other questions though just ask

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Also were you on Xbox ranked yesterday? If so I might have played you, I was using Firestorm and Supes lol

Th4tDrewDude

Obscure AF Joker Player
Batman can somewhat zone FS if he has a lifelead, unless FS has trait. And he outpressures FS upclose while getting comparable damage.

FS is mostly a rush down character tbh, to get past his zoning just duck, walk, duck, walk. You'll duck the fireball and block trap as the trap is a low and fireball is a high. He's not going to be chipping you or doing any damage with his own zoning, it's just to build a bit of meter to use for when you inevitably get in.

His buttons for playing neutral are pretty average except for B2, his splat OH. However he only gets 7% off this unless he's on lvl 3 trait. When he is on level 3 trait watch out though cause he can get big damage into a vortex from it.

Up close he gets + frames off MbBurst and 112. After MbBurst, which you'll be seeing more than 112, he's +4 which is plus enough to frame trap into B1(his mid) which he gets a 50/50 from. You can back dash the B1 depending on the character but B12 will blow certain back dashes up.

His mixup options are either B2 and low trap or B12 and B1xxlowtrap. All options are unsafe except for B2 so make sure to get your punishes down.

That's all I've got rn, should cover most of the basics. If you've got any other questions though just ask
Alrighty, thanks! I'll probably find some firestorms to fight and try some stuff and if I still got any questions I'll hit you up :]

Th4tDrewDude

Obscure AF Joker Player
Are you online now? I'm on Xbox myself so ill add you in a bit and we'll play whenever you're online. And no problem man!
My gamertag is Emolgod55 on xbox live and I'll probably hop on in a bit, also I dont think I played ranked yesterday but I wouldn't be surprised if I played you at some point xD

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog

deadshot, batman and green arrow are actual counterpicks. superman is kinda tough to deal with online at times but its 5-5. catwoman is catwoman and the things that are annoying about her everyone else has to hold so its not really matchup specific

DrZmmm

Noob
Helpful thread. I just got completely bodied in the corner due to unfamiliarity as well by a decent player. Gonna lab some and use this thread as a starting point. You just don't see him that often

True God of Thunder

Even so, you will FALL!
deadshot, batman and green arrow are actual counterpicks. superman is kinda tough to deal with online at times but its 5-5. catwoman is catwoman and the things that are annoying about her everyone else has to hold so its not really matchup specific
5-5? I've heard people say the match-up is 7-2 in Supes' favor.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
5-5? I've heard people say the match-up is 7-2 in Supes' favor.
yeah they're wrong. you have an answer for literally everything he has. online its a lot harder tbh but you can legitimately force him to stop his pressure after breath. i literally never feel like im not in control vs superman. biggest thing for me is that he can't actually zone you because if he tries to your ex fireball will stop any of his projectiles on the ground if you can react to it looking like hes about to sneeze. air psycho crusher stops him from doing the air laser, but in order to not get clipped by the end of it you need to jump over it, wait for the laser to come out and the input the psycho crusher