What's new

Any good controllers for Shang? I had to build one. (Xbox 360)

kanaida

Kanaida (MK9 Dashboard for android)
Anyone know of any controllers where the down up moves come out perfectly? I'm looking for a PS3 style directional pad for Xbox 360...

I ended up building an arcade stick from scratch out of the corpse of a worn out xbox 360 controller. It's great for combos and fireballs as far as accuracy goes, however it limits my ability to dance around opponents as well as I can on the pad.

I'm about 190 in Ranked Tag Team, just tired of loosing the odd fight here and there because of equipment malfunction.

If anyone's interested I also wrote the MK9 Dashboard for android. I know there's plenty of info here, but I'm going through each guy and making up new combos, a strategy guide with lots of little things that typically aren't included, you have 2 characters visible so you can practice tag mode much easier etc...

kanaida

The only mod I've seen that might be useful is this one: Evil D-Pad Facelift Kit. It changes your pad to a 4 way. But it remains to be seen how well this will work because I don't have one. I'm considering it though.

kanaida

Hey snowey :) lol my cousin plays with me in tag mode and can have a short temper at times :) playing vs immortal angel and icrazyguy311 like 20 times in a row will do that to you. My account is actually 3 people, me my cousin and my girl. He mostly gets mad because people really don't improvise much, just repetitive routines. Scorpions mixups are particularily annoying, for some reason shang tsung makes him easier to take though. We practice all the time to take it to the next level, very few people give us trouble anymore. More like a small handful like kl33ta and you. I'm not even sure how most of those guys are top 100, the majority aren't very good, especially not with variety. I guess that's why we often think its funny that people used to give us problems a while ago like hulkbomb and minihulk and now we see that they just never evolved and learned past their single routine. The good part is that there's very few routines left to counter perfectly anymore so Im working my way up the ladder quickly. I just need a controller with accurate down up movements so I don't get equipment losses where a ground fireball comes out nowhere near the opponent. As for the programmable pad thing, yes people do use them. He was pretty upset when he saw one on YouTube automating kitana. I have found they're the ones that fall for uppercuts excessively though :)

kanaida

Hey guys, I found one that seems to have the directional pad I was looking for, does anyone have any experience with this one? It's got buttons in a few additional places that you can assign to be any other button. eg. block with the underneath triggers for example. Not programmable with macros or anything like that (you'd have to be a real looser to use those lol). :
http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-controllers/razer-sabertooth

ps1/2 pad is the tits imo. f4~gs is easy as pie on it. etokki converter's the only one that hasn't lagged for me though.

kanaida

Thanks on the info. I was able to do the F4+GS about 6/10 times on the xbox controller. The worst is du4, I need that one the most during critical momemnts, not to mentions it's his second true wakeup that can avoid projectiles like noobs angled kick. I'm not sure why it doesn't always have invincibility frames but i'd like to if anyone knows.

I've had to modify my finger usage to get complicated stuff like that to work at all too, I mentally make an effort to press down, then up/left. I'd say one of the hardest things at first was the Jump punch to back of head, B1,2,1,4 db4,df4. to get around the muscle memory I started sliding my thumb from 1->2, then from 1->4.. for me that's 2 actions now vs 4 button presses. After doing that I was able to do incredibly complex combos :coffee:.

I'm getting used to windows movie maker so i'll post up some awesome new fireball tag combos later tonight. Not all are as powerful, but they are very intricate and freshly styled :cool:. Haven't seen them anywhere else, I wanted to push the boundaries of attack angles and moving an opponent across the screen as much as possible. I've made some new discoveries in how tag partner's projectiles can behave differently when shang tsung uses them as opposed to other people.

kanaida

Update: After reading about the ettoki adapter you mentioned (and seeing that i don't need an xbox controller attached) I cancelled the order for the one i was getting, and i bought the ettoki instead :)

kanaida

Hey guys, just noticed this was out there, wondering if anyone's tried these. I've kind of gotten fond of wireless controllers:

kanaida

I just got the ettoki one that was mentioned above, says no lag too. I was just wondering if that little wireless dongle would add any. I don't have a problem using a cheapy wired one either way, i was just curious. I can't wait till it gets here... if i could only count how many down up ground fireballs i've missed because of this dumb xbox controller. a single fireball miss can de-rail a match.

Gruntypants

THE MUFFINS ARE BEEFY
I just got the ettoki one that was mentioned above, says no lag too. I was just wondering if that little wireless dongle would add any. I don't have a problem using a cheapy wired one either way, i was just curious. I can't wait till it gets here... if i could only count how many down up ground fireballs i've missed because of this dumb xbox controller. a single fireball miss can de-rail a match.
I don't recommend using a ps1 controller with the etokki. I started out the same way but I got a ps2 pad and the dpad on itis so much more precise. You could probably get a ps2 controller for like 10 bucks at gamestop.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
kanaida if you like the feel of the xbox pad but want more accurate inputs try the Madcatz fightpads. I prefer the older SF4/WWE ones that are larger, but some people like the newer SFxT ones. I've never had issues with down up inputs on it.

kanaida

I saw those, reminds of me of the 6 button sega genesis ones. I think i'll try the wired PS2 + rumble from gamestop first. The other thing I wanted to do was modify my custom arcade stick. I'm going to either build a PC arrow layout into it by making a wired extension to a num pad, or adding 4 arcade buttons right next to my joystick laid out like the keyboard. :)

see to the bottom left there's that extra space.
i'm gonna try this:

Code:
 O
OOO

Here's what the inside looks like if anyone wants to see. It took about 3 days to build. Mostly because I didn't have a drill when making the box lol... hand screwing screws and cutting with a hand saw. That's love for the game :)

I saw those, reminds of me of the 6 button sega genesis ones. I think i'll try the wired PS2 + rumble from gamestop first. The other thing I wanted to do was modify my custom arcade stick. I'm going to either build a PC arrow layout into it by making a wired extension to a num pad, or adding 4 arcade buttons right next to my joystick laid out like the keyboard. :)

see to the bottom left there's that extra space.
i'm gonna try this:

Code:
 O
OOO

Here's what the inside looks like if anyone wants to see. It took about 3 days to build. Mostly because I didn't have a drill when making the box lol... hand screwing screws and cutting with a hand saw. That's love for the game :)

The fuck are all those buttons for?

#IamMuffinMuggers

BEENEEWEENEES

Thou shalt be slain!
that shit has 9 buttons man!!! that is awesome and insane at the same time!

as far as ps2 -> xbox360 converters go,

http://etokki.com/Xtokki360

this is the best one available. you'll have to order from korea so shipping takes a hot minute but it's well, well worth it.

kanaida

Its on its way from Korea already lol :) can't wait to land every single fireball. The close ground fireball makes you invincible on wakeup so I can stop many opponents and dodge things. I haven't been able to do it consistently though.

kanaida

Hey guys. Just posting an update. I STILL have NOT received my adapter. I just sent those ettoki guys an email to send me a refund. Get the other adapter, it's not worth months of waiting.

kanaida

The fuck are all those buttons for?

#IamMuffinMuggers
I use a classic MK dice + run button layout, then some buttons on the edges to give the same shape as the xbox controller (diamond) so I can use it on my pc with MAME for classic MK games, and with MK9.

Here's what they do in mk9:

(TH) (switch stance, or nothing for the rest)
(BP)
(FP) (BK)
(FK)
(BL) (TAG)