What's new

Any good advice for a beginner reptile?

Like the topic says is there any advice for a beginner reptile user? I've looked at the UMK3 guide but i need some human advice now. Anything can help :)

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ
I'm just starting to flesh out my Reptile, myself. I'm not an expert but what I've been doing is different for each opponent.

He's a great zoner but obviously Kabal is dangerous, Sub Zero with his insanely fast projectiles leads to unfavorable trades, and teleporters just suck. You can bait teleporters into punishers, which is where knowing some of his juggles can come in handy. But for the most part staying close, rushing in and making sure your runjabs are canceled with block is best bet. I'm still a newer Reptile so against high tier characters powered by competent players turns me into a blocker but I'm breaking out a bit. You need to be deceptive.

He seems to have a sweet spot for throwing forceballs where you can get away with letting one out while having enough recovery time to block counters. For his zoning it's a matter of feeling out those safe distances and knowing his recovery times. I've been able to get away with things I wouldn't have even tried a month ago because I was afraid risk wasn't worth payoff.

His slide is a good quick punisher when you're in a pinch (blocked high kicks or sweeps where distance is too great to run in for an autocombo). Fucking annoying online. Sliding to punish crossup jumps is effective, though I'm pretty terrible at executing on XBL.

AC1984

Kaballin!
Consistent and solid juggle combos, good force ball zoning and invisibility. ded_ and Shock, pls post here!!! :)

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ
OOO forgot invisibility. See, this is why I'm not a great Reptile player. I lose track of myself sometimes.

AC1984

Kaballin!
When I played against ded_ a couple of months ago (he literally annihilated me with Reptile) I noticed that he doesn't have weaknesses with the character. He pretty much uses everything that is available and mixes it up very well. Combos, spacing, invisible play,zoning...full package you know....to put in a couple of words- he gets the best out of every possible scenario and situation. My Reptile is around 3 out of 10 imo and I think that casuals are the perfect environment to develop. Online play however makes Reptile unplayable and that's why many people avoid him. I know I do....

common advice for every char:
1. learn\get used to recovery times
2. play mostly offesive, don't wait.
3. develop a strategy against every char, against every style
4. and only then u can learn some fancy combos

so u can see all of this advices are pretty worthless, u can't become a grandmaster without practicing, wasting time and putting effort.

ded

Elder God
reptile's invisibility is useful, but you should know that he plays completely different when he is invisible - in most cases you go invisible to block opponent's move (and came visible again) so you can "restart" your regular game.

forceballs are good for zonning even against kabal because they have short recovery time and the acid spit is a great counter for kabal's low aa afbs.

everything else is listed in his guide i think.

one personal advice is to use slide only against jps crossovers, use the dash against jk ones.

Thank you guys so much for the advice. not only has it helped me improve my metagame with Reptile, but i'm certain enough i can go toe to toe with some other reptiles now. I still have FAR to learn with him, but thanks again guys for what you all did for me.