What's new

Any car guys out there??

KLK Lukas

Boon's personal eyebrow groomer
Is anyone else on TYM into cars at all? If so what are your favorite type of cars/ model or manufacturer?
For me it's all about JDM cars... there's nothing better in life than a Bayside Blue R34 GTR:

Or a white MK4 Supra:

Would love to hear anyone else's opinions or favorite cars:)

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Nice posts, big fan of the newer Camaro update. My dream car is a Vette.

Matix218

Get over here!
I am a bit of a car guy, I currently own a 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 with all bolt-ons and a Saab 9-2x Aero (Saabaru WRX). Also I have owned the following in the past: B16a CRX, SR20det 240sx, FC turbo 2 RX7, FD twin turbo RX7. I also (clearly) mainly focus on the japanese stuff.

As far as favorite cars, for me it would be the FD RX7, original NSX, and the Ferrari F40.

ZonalsEnd

"Let's turn up the heat!"
I've always been into older cars. My first car was a 1971 Buick GS that I bought in 2006. Loved that car, ran like a bat outta hell too. My dad and I have currently been restoring a 1966 GTO and it is turning into a monster of a car.

Into the newer US cars like the new Chargers/Challengers, the new mustang is pretty sleek, and i like the new Corvettes. I'm not a fan of the new camaro bodies.

Not even remotely into imports.

KLK Lukas

Boon's personal eyebrow groomer
I am a bit of a car guy, I currently own a 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 with all bolt-ons and a Saab 9-2x Aero (Saabaru WRX). Also I have owned the following in the past: B16a CRX, SR20det 240sx, FC turbo 2 RX7, FD twin turbo RX7. I also (clearly) mainly focus on the japanese stuff.

As far as favorite cars, for me it would be the FD RX7, original NSX, and the Ferrari F40.
Duuuuude RX7's are beautiful cars

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
I built and owned the world's fastest FWD Ford Festiva for almost two years. Others have come since and usurped my record.

Built a 94 F150 project that had a 5.0HO with heads, cam, upper and lower intake, headers into a custom made coupling to hook into the stock exhaust and a remote cutout to dump it when I wanted the power, larger TB, larger injectors, blah blah. Had it dyno tuned. Totally stock looking but could pull a low 13, which is nothing to scoff at for that kind of truck.

73 Nissan Fairlady. Rhd and everything. I'll miss that car until the day I die.

92 sho.

96 T/A.

I've built three turbo'd 5.0 Mustangs. One of which pulls high 9s and can sit in traffic while you take your kids to school in it.

Built a 92 Eagle Talon Tsi, awd. Full exhaust from the downpipe on back. Cams, bigger turbo with head work and forged internals to keep it all together. Ran 28psi, ran a low 10, but trapped like a mid 9. I personally think there was more there.

Ehhh.. trying to remember what all else I've owned and/or built.

72 Pontiac Catalina. Rip. Long story. Still angry. Bone stock and beautiful.

I'll remember more in sure..

Oh! Early 90s Toyota Paseo with a JDM engine swap and a 75 shot. It was my daily and the motor popped and it turned out I could get the JDM engine from a company in Florida for cheaper than a stock one. Went from 80 to an eye wateringly powerful 120 crank. Guy owed me money and settled by giving me his NOS kit, which I got bored with one weekend and jetted down to around 75 and modified on to the Paseo. Good times.

90 Honda Civic with 370k miles on, with one headlight missing and a replacement headlight from a tractor RIVETED in it's place. It was round. And always on if the car was. The hood was held down by a chain and a bolt that was drilled through the hood, upside down, so it stuck up like a little post.... And a wingnut. You had to sit on the hood and pull the chain up, as tight as you could and put the bolt through a link in the chain, then use the wingnut to hold it all in place.

Matix218

Get over here!
I built and owned the world's fastest FWD Ford Festiva for almost two years. Others have come since and usurped my record.

Built a 94 F150 project that had a 5.0HO with heads, cam, upper and lower intake, headers into a custom made coupling to hook into the stock exhaust and a remote cutout to dump it when I wanted the power, larger TB, larger injectors, blah blah. Had it dyno tuned. Totally stock looking but could pull a low 13, which is nothing to scoff at for that kind of truck.

73 Nissan Fairlady. Rhd and everything. I'll miss that car until the day I die.

92 sho.

96 T/A.

I've built three turbo'd 5.0 Mustangs. One of which pulls high 9s and can sit in traffic while you take your kids to school in it.

Built a 92 Eagle Talon Tsi, awd. Full exhaust from the downpipe on back. Cams, bigger turbo with head work and forged internals to keep it all together. Ran 28psi, ran a low 10, but trapped like a mid 9. I personally think there was more there.

Ehhh.. trying to remember what all else I've owned and/or built.

72 Pontiac Catalina. Rip. Long story. Still angry. Bone stock and beautiful.

I'll remember more in sure..

Oh! Early 90s Toyota Paseo with a JDM engine swap and a 75 shot. It was my daily and the motor popped and it turned out I could get the JDM engine from a company in Florida for cheaper than a stock one. Went from 80 to an eye wateringly powerful 120 crank. Guy owed me money and settled by giving me his NOS kit, which I got bored with one weekend and jetted down to around 75 and modified on to the Paseo. Good times.

90 Honda Civic with 370k miles on, with one headlight missing and a replacement headlight from a tractor RIVETED in it's place. It was round. And always on if the car was. The hood was held down by a chain and a bolt that was drilled through the hood, upside down, so it stuck up like a little post.... And a wingnut. You had to sit on the hood and pull the chain up, as tight as you could and put the bolt through a link in the chain, then use the wingnut to hold it all in place.
Quite the interesting mix of cars/projects!!

EntropicByDesign

This is super badass
I texted my buddy, he's gonna send me some pics and videos later today. I'll post them when I get them. The car could do more, it's got the engine and transmission to handle considerably more power than it's pushing. The turbo he's running is a semi-custom ball bearing 76mm, and it's very carefully flow-matched to his build, running right where we want it, it's effiency curve is practically OEM-perfect.. but we could be crude and just throw more boost at it, and tune the megasquirt stand-alone to match, it could easily put down the power to push into the flat 9's , high 8s, but there's no way to actually GET there without extensive suspension work, and that will destroy the "9sec daily driver" theme he wanted.

Other fun facts about that Fox Body - the megasquirt ecu is fully stand-alone, but is connected in to the cars stock ecu, so everything works, every oem light, door buzzers, everything. We have customers gauges for several things, but low oil level/pressure lights still work, temp warnings, everything. Additionally the car STILL HAS AC, BOOOM. That alone took me two months to get right. The intercooler has a custom made water-cooling rig using a walboro fuel pump, small water cell and 4 of the cars stock fuel injectors. It triggers based on boost, when the car is going all out, 80% max max boost and above triggers the system.

Crcost is the way to go. Naturally aspirated just doesn't compare, dollar for dollar, hp for hp and ESPECIALLY if you intend to drive the thing much.

So many myths and misunderstandings too. "Turbo lagg" and all that mess. Or that you have to have some low compression slug to run boost. Silly. Designed right those things are simply non-factors.

Forced induction is the future of automotive performance across nearly all applications, from fuel savers to sports cars. It's a pity it's taken the industry so long to start to embrace that fact. But, hey, at least they are.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
What about trucks? I’m looking to buy a truck, 10-12 k price range, lowish miles, not perfect, but reliable.

I pretty much prefer GM and avoid RAM, doing mind Ford, what do you guys think?

ZonalsEnd

"Let's turn up the heat!"
I texted my buddy, he's gonna send me some pics and videos later today. I'll post them when I get them. The car could do more, it's got the engine and transmission to handle considerably more power than it's pushing. The turbo he's running is a semi-custom ball bearing 76mm, and it's very carefully flow-matched to his build, running right where we want it, it's effiency curve is practically OEM-perfect.. but we could be crude and just throw more boost at it, and tune the megasquirt stand-alone to match, it could easily put down the power to push into the flat 9's , high 8s, but there's no way to actually GET there without extensive suspension work, and that will destroy the "9sec daily driver" theme he wanted.

Other fun facts about that Fox Body - the megasquirt ecu is fully stand-alone, but is connected in to the cars stock ecu, so everything works, every oem light, door buzzers, everything. We have customers gauges for several things, but low oil level/pressure lights still work, temp warnings, everything. Additionally the car STILL HAS AC, BOOOM. That alone took me two months to get right. The intercooler has a custom made water-cooling rig using a walboro fuel pump, small water cell and 4 of the cars stock fuel injectors. It triggers based on boost, when the car is going all out, 80% max max boost and above triggers the system.

Crcost is the way to go. Naturally aspirated just doesn't compare, dollar for dollar, hp for hp and ESPECIALLY if you intend to drive the thing much.

So many myths and misunderstandings too. "Turbo lagg" and all that mess. Or that you have to have some low compression slug to run boost. Silly. Designed right those things are simply non-factors.

Forced induction is the future of automotive performance across nearly all applications, from fuel savers to sports cars. It's a pity it's taken the industry so long to start to embrace that fact. But, hey, at least they are.
Fox bodies are the arch nemesis of my favorite turbo car, the Buick GN.

Because I drove a GS I went to all of the Buick Vs Ford drags growing up. Buick didn’t have much, but they did have the Grand Nationals. It always came down to which Fox body was going to beat what GN. Ford beat Buick most years but it was still fun.

EntropicByDesign

Warning. This is long and tedious - even by my standards.

Fox bodies are the arch nemesis of my favorite turbo car, the Buick GN.

Because I drove a GS I went to all of the Buick Vs Ford drags growing up. Buick didn’t have much, but they did have the Grand Nationals. It always came down to which Fox body was going to beat what GN. Ford beat Buick most years but it was still fun.
GNs are sexy as shit tho. I love a good Fox for the simplicity and enormous potential, the EECIV cpu/ecu system they run makes life a lot easier when building something you want to still be able to drive day to day... But a Fox can't touch a GN in style, and for those that know what GNs are (sadly, not many do it seems like, at least around here), the pure street presence of a GN can't be touched by a Fox.

I have never had the pleasure of working on a GN. I almost "bought" one YEARS ago, but it been stripped completely down to the shell for a restoration, and was literally the body without a bolt or single thing attached, and the entire rest of the car was in almost individual pieces, in tubs, wrapped up on pallets.

The car would have been payment for actually building an oddball project I had been researching for a guy, he'd owned rx7s for years, and had a pair of FDs, one beautiful, pure stocker on its third fucking motor, and one mostly complete in primer, sans drivetrain. He'd asked me about options to ditch the rotary engine* in a rebuild because he was SUPER tired of their shit, but he wanted to keep as much of the character they gave the car as possible. I'd hunted up info and looked in to other projects and spent a couple months compiling info. Ls1 swaps are a thing with the FD guys, and its something in the neighborhood of practical. This was more than 10yrs ago, and there were some kits and prefabbed stuff floating around.. but I've driven, worked on and yelled at more ls1s than I can hope to remember and it's an AMAZING motor. Hell, it's predecessor, the Lt1 was a solid engine if you didn't want to mod the damn thing.. but LS1s bleed power. Great head design. Easy to work with.. but part of what makes them so great, is exactly what he didn't want.

If you've ever driven or ridden in a rotary car, a rotary motor makes all it's power right up front. They don't make torque with two shits (it's part of why they love boost so much) , but they are basically single stroke motors. A 4 stroke - every automobile engine ever - doesn't create power on every stroke (a ToD event), but rather every fourth. It's why the power builds with the RPMs. More RPMs, more ''puts", or ignition events, ie, more power. So your 400hp engine makes 400 @ a specific RPM. And less below that. Rotary engines don't do that.. sorta. No one wants me to explain this in more depth, and I've been SUPER light so far (if any engineer is reading this, don't hang me for being extremely imprecise in my explanation). Anyway. They have an ignition event every stroke, so if a rotary makes 200hp, it makes that power practically off-idle. Same thing if it makes 400hp (lollerskates). There IS powerbuild, but it's nothing like a piston/standard engine. So when you hit the gas, regardless of rpm, you GO. It's an interesting illusion of torque.

So, an LS series motor won't work. Not without extensive mods, and ultimately you'd be fighting the character of the engine, which is kinda stupid. They are meant to wind out, they have an AMAZING mix of muscle car and sports car feel. But, this guy wants off-idle power that doesn't build so much as it's just 'there'... Welppp, after a bunch of research and such, I out together a detailed parts/work/fabrication list for.. well, an LS series motor, but a little different. Cost was a factor here as well. So, enter one of Chevy's least appreciated engines. The LS series 5.3 v8, found in a bajillion trucks from.the early 2ks. That was my solution. Part of it. Truck engines make power low for obvious reasons, so the character was right. A 5.3 is about a third the cost of the LS performance series motors, and still makes respectable power, with the ability to squeeze more out without breaking the bank, but it's two bigggest selling factors were it's somewhat low-ish compression and it's tank reputation. It can take a LOT of abuse. Low compression means boost is easier. High comp boost is a beautiful thing, buts it's tricky. All said and done, a low-psi, small turbo'd 5.3 v8 swapped in would meet his budget and come as close as possible to the off-idle power he was looking for. The turbo system would be designed to spool VERY early, running sub 10-psi. Oh, and the 5.3 has an aluminum block w/ iron sleeves version that's a little harder to find, but costs about the same.. so we'd be saving some weight.

Ultimately his offer of payment wasn't worth the effort though, I'd have been 6mos building the FD, only to have 6mo of work rebuilding the GN, with who knows how much money thrown at putting the engine back together and such.

This has been long even by my standards..sorry. Im sitting in the waiting room at a Drs office while my niece waits to get her yearly checkup and physical.

Deep33

Noob
Favorite Affordable Car (i currently own): 2017 Toyota Prius, 56 to 58 Miles per Gallon on this beast and she looks good too. Try beating that. God bless Japan

If i won the lottery,
it would have to be a Tesla Model X or a Chevy Corvette. God bless America