What's new

General/Other - Kung Jin Anti wakeup options

Trustypatches

PSN: Boweeen, Twitch: rBoweeen
Kung Jin has some of the best options against wakeups, and combined with the fact he gets oki on every knockdown in shaolin, I thought it was worth making thread about his anti wakup stuff. I have not included his jump back 1 stuff in the corner as that is very character specific with the wakeups it beats.

Firstly d3... 10 recovery meaning it can safely check any wakeup slower than that, and you will still be + on delayed wakeups. +1 on block and massively + on hit. Really simple...

11. As shown in the video, 11 is completely safe to use as a meaty in various MU's. +32 on hit, -2 on block and according to the frames in game, it is only 4 frames on whiff recovery... As shown in the video, delayed wakeups will keep you at advantage (both kinds) and so will a backdash. The use of this is different in various MU's, however I think the best use is in the tempest MU. (In the video I take a tiny step forward for the 2nd hit of 11 to hit).

221.Widely known. Weakest in Shaolin due to the gap, however this is a move that breaks any armor that is 11 frames or slower, cover the whole length of a delayed wakeup, is -2 on block and can be hit confirmed into a full combo. I got 11 frames from the fact I could only manage a trade with ex straight dash punch vs Jax, though you are welcome to correct me if this is false.

Ex chakram. I see it used a lot on its own, and although it does beat many armored options and allow a full punish, it is actually unsafe against fully delayed wakeups from further ranges (which you must do to make the armor whiff). As well as this, a bar must be used, and Shaolin's meter is very important. IMO, abusing the lack of a hurtbox with b1 xx ex chakram is a better option in many MU's, as you do not waste the bar on a delayed wakeup, and b1 on whiff is a lot safer as the opponent does not know if you will carry out the whole string. It doesn't work on all armored wakeups though, due to the ranges of them varying, however ex chakram alone is pretty universal.

Simple yet still useful, f3. Also widely known. Beats every wakeup with only 1 hit of armor. -3 on block and does 7% into HDK on hit (2% mid hits first, 5% oh after). The oh of this will often catch people blocking, as they will either try to block ex chakram, or simply not react fast enough.

J3 xx ex divekick. Breaks Lao's spin if done right, is relatively safe on block (-9 with great pushback), does 4.6% chip and j3 divekick does 28% into the same HDK. Sorry I did not get footage for this, although I have tested it on Lao and can confirm it works. If the j3 is done from deep enough, the j3 will still connect on short delayed wakeups as the move is active for a while. The ex divekick does not seem to come out on block or hit here though. If they long delay wakeup you are very slightly - but that is all. Can also use this to cross over on their wakeup.

Last edited:

Trustypatches

A whole thread could also be made on corner jump back 1 set ups as that removes the threat of a significant number of wakeups too.

Last edited:

stamatis

Όσα δε φτάνει η αλεπού. ........
This is really nice, I like your effort.I feel that ji3 ex d3 is also great to do a cross up,especially when you know that the opponent will try to anti air.

Trustypatches

D3 doesn't beat scorps or reptile slide does it?
It doesn't "beat" wakeups really, it just allows you to safely check them if their wakeup is slower than the 10 frames of recovery it has. You will hit them with the d3 (which they will absorb with armor) then be able to block the wakeup. However, faster wakeups (like reptiles slide) will beat out a d3 check as you won't recover in time.

It's a good option in most MU's though, as it beats delayed wakeups, is +1 on block, can safely check most armored wakeups and it is massively + on hit.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
It doesn't "beat" wakeups really, it just allows you to safely check them if their wakeup is slower than the 10 frames of recovery it has. You will hit them with the d3 (which they will absorb with armor) then be able to block the wakeup. However, faster wakeups (like reptiles slide) will beat out a d3 check as you won't recover in time.

It's a good option in most MU's though, as it beats delayed wakeups, is +1 on block, can safely check most armored wakeups and it is massively + on hit.
Thanks. And I guess s2 still gets beat out by fast slides.

Parasurama

Dragon
I notice that B123 is inconsistent in avoiding Scorpion ex tp. If I do D3, would it recover in time to punish?

I just checked it. It works. Awesome.

Last edited:

Trustypatches

I notice that B123 is inconsistent in avoiding Scorpion ex tp. If I do D3, would it recover in time to punish?

I just checked it. It works. Awesome.
Inconsistent? I haven't had that issue myself as long as the b1 is hit meaty. Unless you mean in the corner? Yeah in the corner I use the d3 check vs Scorpion.

Parasurama

Dragon
Inconsistent? I haven't had that issue myself as long as the b1 is hit meaty. Unless you mean in the corner? Yeah in the corner I use the d3 check vs Scorpion.
Perhaps it is my spacing or timing but I sometimes get on the second hit and receive a full combo for my effort.

Parasurama

Dragon
So I was thinking about this and wondered if you guys try it for people on wake up:

D3 xx ex low chakram or ex cartwheel
I suppose the armored move would get us then?

But I was initially thinking it would be good as a mix up.

Perhaps D3 to check then d1 cancel into special if blocked or mix up if it hits would be the best.

I have to integrate d3 more in to my game. I use F3 a lot.
What proportion of anti wake up strategy do you guys use, from baiting armor to jumping on the opponent. I guess it would depend on the match ups but still it would interesting to find out how you guys approach the oki.

Trustypatches

So I was thinking about this and wondered if you guys try it for people on wake up:

D3 xx ex low chakram or ex cartwheel
I suppose the armored move would get us then?

But I was initially thinking it would be good as a mix up.

Perhaps D3 to check then d1 cancel into special if blocked or mix up if it hits would be the best.

I have to integrate d3 more in to my game. I use F3 a lot.
What proportion of anti wake up strategy do you guys use, from baiting armor to jumping on the opponent. I guess it would depend on the match ups but still it would interesting to find out how you guys approach the oki.
Everything in this thread is what I use for oki really. Like you said it varies a lot in MU's too. Once I see some delay wakeup if I do a d3 check then I will enforce a mixup, be it f2, b1 or throw. In the corner after an upkick shaolin drop knockdown I often dash over their body then jump back 1 or 2 into more mixups/pressure. Again though, it depends on the MU.

Pokes cancelled into those specials you said are definitely a good option that I forgot to mention! Anything cancelled into ex cartwheel will break armors (though I haven't done a lot of testing on the various armors) as well as giving the OH mixup. If someone blocks a poke they are going to try and counterpoke for the most part too, which gets blown up by the Cartwheel. The same applies here with ex chakram but you get more reward on hit. The best thing about poke cancelled into special is that if they delay wakeup then you won't waste the bar and then you are a lot safer to enforce any other mixup after the delay.

I also didn't mention in the thread how good meaty NJP can be in many MU's. If you do the NJP as late as possible then you will be +9 (at least) on block and if they try pressing any buttons then they get launched.