What's new

Anti Liu Kang guide (Luohan Quan variation)

TheLewis

Noob
Is there any other way to escape his plus frames on F4,3,U3 besides the flawless block? I played this guy 5 games in a row where he just repeated that string 3, sometimes 4 times in a row. And I knew I had to Flawless block the last hit but for the life of me I couldn't do it. Could you possibly back dash or even short hop the next F4? Im going to lab it because god damn is that strong!

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Is there any other way to escape his plus frames on F4,3,U3 besides the flawless block? I played this guy 5 games in a row where he just repeated that string 3, sometimes 4 times in a row. And I knew I had to Flawless block the last hit but for the life of me I couldn't do it. Could you possibly back dash or even short hop the next F4? Im going to lab it because god damn is that strong!
If they're doing the u3 everytime then you can interrupt it.

This guide should've touched on Liu's staggers more. That's what makes him so strong.

TheLewis

Noob
I see you d1 and interupt the last hit. I found you can just reversal back dash after the whole string and full combo punish him if he tries to use the frame trap but its good to know you can interupt it.

I understand how strong good staggers are but first I had to simply figure out how to stop the basic frame trap. I was just so focused on trying to flawless block I didnt even think to just interrupt it. LoL

Last edited:

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
d1 always works, except against low fireball which is fully punishable.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
About the video:
Nobody uses naked f2; punishing f3 isn’t a sound decision. Personally I check people with f3 and then do the full string and it works, so better just block.
Also, don’t try to punish dragon kick with a throw it works 40%, usually it whiffs and you might eat a KB out of f43u3

Auron

Look, it has begun.
Just learn how to flawless block, it's just a few hours in training to start getting some consistency.

Good video

you forgot to mention that parry can be countered with projectiles too, for example Kabal's ex-buzzsaw toss into a full combo.
That's in addition to lows, jump ins and fatal blows

Correct me if I'm wrong

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
Would have been better if you had gotten into more depth. Like how to counter every option he has out of f4 stagger series. Or how to punish lowfireball amp. As is, you just kinda showed frame data.

i do. i didnt complain about liu kang even though i think he doesnt need a braincell to play. but thats a decades-old mk tradition.
Then play him. Let us know when you take grand finals somewhere over all the Geras, Erron, Sonya, Cassie, and Sub Zero players. Or better yet, just let us know how it goes in ranked. Have fun conditioning people with unsafe options and playing mindgames when they throw raw mixups back.

Last edited:

Byites

Wilson
This video was made early on. I wasn’t sure how many people would find it useful. I might make another video going into dealing with his stagger strings. But since I am still learning to deal with it myself I don’t think it would be fair for me to put out miss information. F4,3 is the only thing I struggle to deal with vs Liu Kang. So a video on that would be helpful for others I feel.

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
This video was made early on. I wasn’t sure how many people would find it useful. I might make another video going into dealing with his stagger strings. But since I am still learning to deal with it myself I don’t think it would be fair for me to put out miss information. F4,3 is the only thing I struggle to deal with vs Liu Kang. So a video on that would be helpful for others I feel.
That’s fair. Ideally a vid would show F4 and it’s frame data, and explain to look for it and counterpoke. Then it’d show F4 into shaolin stance 3 which has no gap and is safe barring a frame perfect punish. F43 you touched on, but it’s important to mention parry cancel stuffs standing 1, so the best bet is a fast d4 or d3. Then it’s important to show Liu can f43, block, and put you on negative frames. But once you get him to block, it creates a gap to backdash, jump, etc. Myriad of choices. And then obviously u3 counterplay- flawless block, s1/d1/d3 the gap. Regular block, backdash reversal since his normals are short ranged, etc.

Similar to Tom Brady’s Sub Zero counterplay vid.

It has a gap which is why players stagger it or cancel with low amp fireball. It's hard to deal with online. You can poke out if they go for full combo or stagger it, otherwise you will be blocking or getting throwed all day.

It has a gap which is why players stagger it or cancel with low amp fireball. It's hard to deal with online. You can poke out if they go for full combo or stagger it, otherwise you will be blocking or getting throwed all day.
Yeah I know. As you said it's hard to deal with online. Luckily for me my friend is a Lou main. Even then it's tough. Check out this video of us practicing. Don't mind my case of the droppsies lol.