What's new

Anti crossup punch tech (video)

You can input a backdash just as an opponent jumps over your head and the input autocorrects to forward dash! This allows you to stop an opponent from getting on the other side of the screen. It makes almost all jump punches whiff.
You can even punish the opponents landing frames.
This video shows that Geras jump over 1 is timed correctly so that it would connect against stand or crouch blocking, then the tech is applied to keep geras in the corner and get a full corner combo punish.

A few things to keep in mind:
Some jumping attacks like Geras Elbow Drop (j2) and his Time Splash (jd2) have very wide hitboxes and you cannot dash past them. This applies to some jumping kicks (like Geras) but other jumping kicks allow you to keep your positioning however the best you can do is block.

If you input forward dash you can make all jump over attacks whiff which can be punished if you have a fast mid-ranged move. I didn't include a video for that because more consistent options like AA jab or uppercut still work. However the forward dash option might be good if you have a string that krushing blows on kounter hit or a punish.

Last edited:
nice, so is this a thing you can do on reaction or am i better off doing d2?
Probably safer on a read with proper spacing. Essentially its a trip guard. You are canceling your dash into a punish catching their whiffed air attack. Not sure about mk but in other 2d fighters if they whiff a limb during air attack they have a few frames before they can jump or attack thus can be "trip guarded"...but...if they empty jump they arent penalized. Not sure what happens if they empty jump instead in mk world. Either way jumps have space jam gravity so empty jumps are probably a bad idea

Probably safer on a read with proper spacing. Essentially its a trip guard. You are canceling your dash into a punish catching their whiffed air attack. Not sure about mk but in other 2d fighters if they whiff a limb during air attack they have a few frames before they can jump or attack thus can be "trip guarded"...but...if they empty jump they arent penalized. Not sure what happens if they empty jump instead in mk world. Either way jumps have space jam gravity so empty jumps are probably a bad idea
Empty jumps cant be trip guarded. You're right in that I probably should have just called this a trip guard.

Hate to be that guy but Geras jumping 1 is not used 99% of the time. I say this as a Geras main
Ahaha you're definitely right! Geras has a bunch of great jumping options. Time Splash is crazy good! Most characters only get an air to air jump punch and one that's more used as a jump in to a combo/jail on block.
I was just using him for a demonstration. Definitely beware trying to use this against geras

Last edited:
I gotta hit the lab you gave me an idea. I wonder if this tech can be baited with an empty jump into a flawless block punish? I cant test now sadly
Well if a jump punch is whiffed, I've been able to punish with up to a 15 frame move. Jab is 8 frames so you'd have to have a pretty good read as well as the timing. With that being said, here's what that would look like: