What's new

Anti Aquaman Zatanna vortex. Matchup 4-6

KillaGthug4Life

Believe in Magic yet? Let us Dance
People talk about how bad this matchup is for Zatanna, I agree that it's bad, but not quite 3-7 bad. You could argue 3.5-6.5, but I'd say 4-6. Reason being because Zatanna still has a workable vortex, Aquaman can't spam FTD cause we can teleport behind and punish on read. Basically it's about a full screen game of reads. Up close AM wrecks Zatanna, full screen we can control the game a little more.

Inputs: d2, j2, 3, puppet master mb. (whiff d1) teleport behind, ji3, 112, Puppet Master

Basically for the crossup j3 just wait a half a second more before the jump in. For non crossup do the whiff d1, teleport behind, j3 immediately. Comes out to a 24% combo I believe. 26% with MB puppet master.

Extra tips: If AM activates trait once he's in PuppetMaster, just teleport behind and do a b3 into Deg's vortex. Don't have to burn an extra meter and gives good damage and trait wears out before the vortex typically.

With backround bounce you can: ji3, 11, interactable, b3, dash, 3, puppetmaster. I'm not positive about what's the optimal combo damage to do for setups and such, but this comes out to 34% meterless and 36% with MB PuppetMaster.

Thoughts? Opinions? Advice?

@deg222
@Pan1cMode
@DinoPizzaria
@Laos_boy
@EMPEROR_SunFire
@Mr. Mileena

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
I never thought of using the j3 on Aquaman, great idea. I would advise using 223 after the j3, as 112 is tricker to time.

Awkward Sloth

Lamest Harley, still better sloth than Jer
I've always just used the illusions to get a cross up/non cross jump 3 set up vortex.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
The thing is... MB puppet master is a no against Aquaman, he can trait in between the normal puppet master and the MB part, block and punish. I always end my combos with regular puppet master against him or use her Deg mix ups after F2. Some Aquaman don't even know he can escape MB puppet master tho.
Still good tech, I will use it against Aquamen that don't know about it.

Also what I sometimes use is after puppet master I levitate, teleport to them in the air, and J3/dive kick are a vortex but it's punisheable, I have to spend a bar for MB dive kick sometimes which is not helpful since Zatanna builds shitty meter against him.

Last edited:

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I've always just used the illusions to get a cross up/non cross jump 3 set up vortex.
Ooh that's so diiiiirrrrtttyyy, use illusions then levitate over them so the middle one hovers over one side of the opponent and one of the side ones hovers over the other side of the opponent so they have to guess which one you are and which way to block. This characterrrrrrrrrrr

Awkward Sloth

Lamest Harley, still better sloth than Jer
Ooh that's so diiiiirrrrtttyyy, use illusions then levitate over them so the middle one hovers over one side of the opponent and one of the side ones hovers over the other side of the opponent so they have to guess which one you are and which way to block. This characterrrrrrrrrrr
Actually that doesn't work because the game camera centers around whichever illusion you're hiding in. The give away is the camera does a slight jerky movement. Don't do the levitate. Use the middle illusion for cross up and the farthest away illusion for non cross up.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Actually that doesn't work because the game camera centers around whichever illusion you're hiding in. The give away is the camera does a slight jerky movement. Don't do the levitate. Use the middle illusion for cross up and the farthest away illusion for non cross up.
Levitate can be cancelled pretty quickly though, and with all the moving around I would've thought it might still confuse the opponent. If not then fair enough I just thought it'd be another thing to mess with the opponent

deg222

Best Zatanna that uses Aquaman
Yeah they can escape MB puppet master mid combo with trait, however they have to know when the puppet master is going to hit. If they activate trait after getting hit by the first hit of MB puppet master, AM's trait doesn't work in time to block the 2nd hit.

If they do activate trait once they're in MB puppet master, you can do this:
-bf3mb, AM activates trait and is tranced, du, du, jij1 (instant)

The jij1 is an instant crossup like my typical setup and by that time, AM's trait is already gone so he can't block anymore.

bishbash

Magic as easy as 1 2 standing3
I'm getting more comfortable with this MU all the time. I used to always pick WW against him but I'm not certain it's any better for her than Zatanna and I'm much more fluid with Zee these days. This will certainly help thanks!

A deep cross up j3 connects easily with 223. You need to hit it at the same height you would if you wanted to connect with multi kicks.

I'm feeling how much effort you're putting in to improve our girl in this game. Good man

bishbash

Magic as easy as 1 2 standing3
I'm getting more comfortable with this MU all the time. I used to always pick WW against him but I'm not certain it's any better for her than Zatanna and I'm much more fluid with Zee these days. This will certainly help thanks!

A deep cross up j3 connects easily with 223. You need to hit it at the same height you would if you wanted to connect with multi kicks.

I'm feeling how much effort you're putting in to improve our girl in this game. Good man