What's new

Anti-Air Stats in Mortal Kombat 11

REO

Undead
Hello, everyone. I've decided to do a fun mini-game on my stream over the weekend where I count the anti-air to jump-in ratio in MK11. I watched the entire top eight of Celtic Throwdown and Summer Jam which both took place over the weekend. Below are the stats I've gathered while re-streaming the tournaments and watching them live with others:

Summer Jam for MK11:

Total number of Successful Anti-Airs that were landed in the top 8:

Total number of jump-ins that were not anti-aired and either hit the opponent or were blocked:

Total number of times someone held up and then got hit by a string but it gave the jumper frame advantage as they got up from the ground or a punish:

Celtic Throwdown for MK11:

Total number of jump-ins that were not anti-aired and either hit the opponent or were blocked:

Total number of times someone held up and then got hit by a string but it gave the jumper frame advantage as they got up from the ground or a punish:

DreamHack for MK11:

_

This project was pretty fun to do and I will continue to do this for future tournaments of MK11. I've decided to share and post this because why not? It would be awesome to see others do stats for MK11 top 8s, such as counting the success ratio of Fatal Blows, Throws, whiff punishes, flawless blocks, etc. etc.

Attachments

Last edited:

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Nice work REO! Its nice to see AA stats its very informative and helpful.

When are you releasing your September Tier List?

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
Cool. It would also be interesting to look at anti air to jump ratios for previous nrs games to see how it compares as well as looking at this like a year from now just to see if it changes.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
I knew it was bad but not this bad.

It makes no sense that the hurtbox on d2s raises before the hitbox. Fix that and we won't have this issue anymore.
100% this. I get that they probably wanted it to be where d2 beats j1/j2 and j3/j4 beats d2, but jump kicks are just too strong in this game so it’s time to make it so that anti-airs beat air attacks, period.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
Anti airs especially d2's work fine, i never had and issue d2 people on reaction

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Awesome stuff. I'm kind of a stats nerd, so this is perfect.

It'd be interesting (although likely way too much manpower needed) to map some of the stats back to the individual players, to see who was jump happy, who was consistently hitting anti airs, stuff like that. Or even extend this type of stat tracking to things like throws, wakeups, punishes, throws, all manner of things that could be tracked and analyzed.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
The AA game mechanics just as good, as back dashes are. People just panic, they need to "get gut".

REO

Undead
DreamHack for MK11:

Attachments

Last edited:

Agilaz

It has begun
This seems very character specific. Some characters have strings that simply do not allow for this - you jump, you get clipped by something, the full thing hits and you have no advantage. Erron's B222 is perhaps the most illustrative example of this, as you will eat the full string no matter where it hits you.

Shang on other hand suffers greatly from this. F24 will get punished 100% of the time if the opponent is even on frame 1 of a jump, so if you're playing Shang you always have to to make a hard read if they're holding up or not, because if they are only F2 (~ground skulls) will not get you killed.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Just give D2s the same air-attacks invincibility as wakeup U2s after like the 4th start up frame and GG. Many close jump attacks beat D2s too easily and it makes me sad.

Also make more strings air capture :mad:

M2Dave

Zoning Master
This seems very character specific.
All of the data are character specific because some characters by design can anti air more effectively and consistently than others. In Street Fighter 5, for example, Akuma has better anti air attacks than Karin even though both characters are top tier. However, Karin has a superior ground game to Akuma and most other characters so she has anti air attacks that are less effective and consistent. This weakness exists by design in an attempt to mitigate strengths. Furthermore, Karin had been considered "free to jumps" for a very long time, but clearly the player base adapted and made the appropriate adjustments.

Before the community follows REO's data blindly and demand that NRS buff anti air attacks substantially, I would like for everyone to think about the consequences. Think about the Street Fighter 5 example in the context of Mortal Kombat 11. You could end up fighting against a character with a 9 frame mid attack like Liu Kang who would dominate you in the air as much as he currently dominates you on the ground.

Just a thought.

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
Why do we have to beg for consistent aa's every game? Paulo wants jumps to be strong. There's no doubt about it now.

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
All of the data are character specific because some characters by design can anti air more effectively and consistently than others. In Street Fighter 5, for example, Akuma has better anti air attacks than Karin even though both characters are top tier. However, Karin has a superior ground game to Akuma and most other characters so she has anti air attacks that are less effective and consistent. This weakness exists by design in an attempt to mitigate strengths. Furthermore, Karin had been considered "free to jumps" for a very long time, but clearly the player base adapted and made the appropriate adjustments.

Before the community follows REO's data blindly and demand that NRS buff anti air attacks substantially, I would like for everyone to think about the consequences. Think about the Street Fighter 5 example in the context of Mortal Kombat 11. You could end up fighting against a character with a 9 frame mid attack like Liu Kang who would dominate you in the air as much as he currently dominates you on the ground.

Just a thought.
You gotta admit that without context, these stats are preaty damming. I agree not everyone needs jaxes s1 but a reliable consistent universal option shouldn't be something to debate over.

The percent of AAs to jump ins is quite low but there's also what feels like relatively less jumping in total. I notice I AA less often because it's pretty clear to both my opponent and me when a jump is a bad idea.

There's not as much stuff like Dr. Fates broken j3 or Predator's "j2 j2 j2 j2 blockstring" or any MKX j3

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta

Just a thought.
its funny cuz LK has a disjointed d2 that AAs really well

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Has this been done for other nrs games? other company's fighting games? This data is kind of useless without that context, feels like clickbait.
I wouldn't call it click bait, but I agree it would be a lot more useful if we had some type of benchmark number to compare it to, both in terms of previous NRS titles and other fighting games like SF.