What's new

Another Nightwolf Confirmation for Tomorrow (with an outro)

So if you look right below this post, you'll see that Ed Boon teased out some Nightwolf information to come tomorrow. Today, he reaffirmed their plans for that Nightwolf reveal/showing, but this time, he posted an outro for the character. If that interests you, and if you have 11 seconds, watch below!

In the tweet we also get a bit of pleasant transparency, getting some acknowledgement that the information dry spell has been bothering people, but they are doing what they can. Might be a WB issue, might be a crunch issue, might be a clandestine shadow government issue, who's to say? But it was very much appreciated to hear that NRS is understanding the concerns.

Comments

Here's the other side of this coin: for those who didn't know, WBIE bought the Mortal Kombat franchise and hired on many of the former Midway team members after Midway went bust.

Since then, every Mortal Kombat game released has been excellent, while prior, the last several games in the franchise, all under Midway, were not so good.

WBIE saved the franchise, many of the core team members, and have properly funded them to make the fantastic games we love. Those are all fantastic things.
Agreed. The last two games midway released, Armageddon and MKvsDC were awful and they needed saving. But as a teen during Deception and Deadly Alliance, I loved the world building and select characters introduced in that era. I kinda feel WB has shied them away from using those characters and lore because it’s less identifiable. I’ve got no proof, of course, but it could be why we keep retreading the Trilogy cast.

Here's the other side of this coin: for those who didn't know, WBIE bought the Mortal Kombat franchise and hired on many of the former Midway team members after Midway went bust.

Since then, every Mortal Kombat game released has been excellent, while prior, the last several games in the franchise, all under Midway, were not so good.

WBIE saved the franchise, many of the core team members, and have properly funded them to make the fantastic games we love. Those are all fantastic things.
fair point, fellow, yeah .... they saved the franchise, major props and huge kisses to them, no argument regarding that .... they had a vision on investing on MK , and they were right !

anyway, the way they try to promote the game , it's when you have fail aspects that the fanbase can criticize, within reason .... WB is good for their movie/cinema business, but seems to do dumb and weird strange bizarre stuff when on game business ....

all of the new MK games (MK9, MKX and MK11) had sooner or later some type of polemic envolving patches, marketing, DLC, technical issues not 100% solved, etc ....

coincidence ?

@Professor Oak For the 3D era, those games definitely had value and fans, and the new characters definitely had followers as well, but it's been established that that's considered the low-point for the franchise, and such characters are far less remembered over the klassic cast.

Since they weren't received well, and since the franchise was struggling during that time, I do understand why it's not being revisited strongly, and why perhaps even NetherRealm themselves may be choosing to shy away.

I do like how they are giving 3D area characters shots in the games if fans have provided enough demand. We had Quan Chi and then Kenshi get added via DLC. Tremor (crazy obscure character with a following) and Tanya got a go, followed by Bo Rai'Cho (which blew my mind). Now we have Frost in her first non-3D game ever. There's lots of demand it seems for Havok, so I expect him at some point too, though perhaps not in this game.

@xenogorgeous Aye, those are all true points enough as well. As I said, different sides of the coin. That typically means there's good and bad as well.

@Professor Oak For the 3D era, those games definitely had value and fans, and the new characters definitely had followers as well, but it's been established that that's considered the low-point for the franchise, and such characters are far less remembered over the klassic cast.

Since they weren't received well, and since the franchise was struggling during that time, I do understand why it's not being revisited strongly, and why perhaps even NetherRealm themselves may be choosing to shy away.

I do like how they are giving 3D area characters shots in the games if fans have provided enough demand. We had Quan Chi and then Kenshi get added via DLC. Tremor (crazy obscure character with a following) and Tanya got a go, followed by Bo Rai'Cho (which blew my mind). Now we have Frost in her first non-3D game ever. There's lots of demand it seems for Havok, so I expect him at some point too, though perhaps not in this game.

@xenogorgeous Aye, those are all true points enough as well. As I said, different sides of the coin. That typically means there's good and bad as well.
I’m thinking Fujin is the other 3D chance they’ll take. Seems all but official.

lol. babies are crying about the DLC releases? waaaaaaaaaaaah. So impatient. FGC is the biggest bunch of babies these days. LOL!!!

Yup, I've said that in the past as well. AAA development is a double-edged sword. Production values and quality can skyrocket, but the price can be (literally) quite high, making one fork out 70-200 bucks for a single game. But the difference in quality and gameplay between MK11 and the old MK games is jaw-dropping. No comparison and I vastly prefer the greedy approach of AAA studios over low-budget (and often low quality) games.

you already know that answer though

"because I said so"
Interestingly, while I have gotten that general answer before, I've found it's usually not. When I've properly inquired about certain things, I've got real answers, usually specific ones.

I find they often boil down to this though: it's oft been senior management doing what they believe to be right, but what they believe to be right is based around a business model or strategy that is no longer current, or worse, near dead. But they're going with what they know as it's worked well for them all along.

Honestly I prefer a fix for hitboxes/whiffing moves rather than any balance patch/dlc. Fixing that will enable like half of the roster instead of only one character.