What's new

Tech Another Arrow Trap by LOTF

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game

This arrow trap is a little better than the Nightwolf arrow trap from MK9. Allow me to explain.

in the corner after any combo into ice arrow, into neutral jump 2 f2d14...a f3 is guaranteed. It is very frequent that your opponent will duck after a reset expecting either f2d1 or d1 arrow again. f3 on hit lets you reset the situation with d2 db4 111 ice arrow, nj2 f2d14. if you have super ready and they are blocking anticipating the f3...you get a free super with b13 on block. This is his only blockstring super he has left.

Do this without the super to people online and just wait for the rage quit. Not to mention that you can always grab, go into mixups, or other things.

GGS

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
I used to use b2 but this is way better.

Good shit.

But what are the options after the blocked f3? You're at +6 but what can you do? If you do f2 it can be interrupted by most pokes, what do you recommend? Savage Blast, jump in and other shit?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I used to use b2 but this is way better.

Good shit.

But what are the options after the blocked f3? You're at +6 but what can you do? If you do f2 it can be interrupted by most pokes, what do you recommend? Savage Blast and other shit?
savage blast is best option.

if they jump to much then jump 3 into 111 db1 111 db4 is great...when they respect savage blast I start doing f2 mixups or just walk back and bait something

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
damn that sucks.

anyone else do any testing? how does this work in matches with the f3 ice arrow reload?

was planning on testing the viablity of this today.

Saw this last night at work and had some thoughts.

While this is a good set up I think it's actually hard to set up if that makes sense.

This will blow up people that don't block arrow properly, but if they know then it is hard enough to get a freeze in the corner and be right in front of them.

My first thought was, if you get the freeze from dash in distance do you have time dash in to neutral jump 2 before they can block?

second thought was if they block the F3 where does the push back on that leave you for a follow up.

third thought was on the super, but Glue is already on that.

4th thought was this will probably only work once against a good player so is it worth it, why not go for the B2 Uphaven blast combo for 43% Mind you there are 5 characters that doesn't work on,

If they are ducking B2 is faster then Forward 3 and they might not hold back as quick as they would vs a forward three.

If only arrow had a low starter.

Other thoughts were, F3 is +6 on block so if they do block what are the best follow ups, to try loop the trap again, one thing that came to mind was F2~BounceCancel F3 but this cost meter and is it worth it?

So many thoughts lol, I like the idea of this though, as people get better at the game and better at defending we need to have more and more options to be successful with Arrow.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
was planning on testing the viablity of this today.

Saw this last night at work and had some thoughts.

While this is a good set up I think it's actually hard to set up if that makes sense.

This will blow up people that don't block arrow properly, but if they know then it is hard enough to get a freeze in the corner and be right in front of them.

My first thought was, if you get the freeze from dash in distance do you have time dash in to neutral jump 2 before they can block?

second thought was if they block the F3 where does the push back on that leave you for a follow up.

third thought was on the super, but Glue is already on that.

4th thought was this will probably only work once against a good player so is it worth it, why not go for the B2 Uphaven blast combo for 43% Mind you there are 5 characters that doesn't work on,

If they are ducking B2 is faster then Forward 3 and they might not hold back as quick as they would vs a forward three.

If only arrow had a low starter.

Other thoughts were, F3 is +6 on block so if they do block what are the best follow ups, to try loop the trap again, one thing that came to mind was F2~BounceCancel F3 but this cost meter and is it worth it?

So many thoughts lol, I like the idea of this though, as people get better at the game and better at defending we need to have more and more options to be successful with Arrow.
mid screen you can always dash in after ice arrow, neutral jump, and the 2 will always hit granting you more damage.

F3 pushback on block is still putting you in range for f2 and at +6. (it still may lose to a fast d1). For that reason I will many times go for savage blast after wards. If they jump you can beat them with j3 into a 40% combo.

Super woks 95% of the time. I wasn't presenting that tech. I read on here that it was his only standing blockstring into super left...is that not right? I'm giong off of what I read.

this works against good and bad players often. the b2 uphaven damage is good but the mixup damage isn't much less and the potential damage is MUCH greater. If they are trained properly you can land this often. plus if the b2 uphaven is blocked you have no advantage. f3 is + 6 with good spacing.

many times I catch people jumping

After a blocked f3 you have tons of options. Make a read with 6 frames to spare. My main goal is to keep them cornered, bait a jump, MB b3 through an interactable or something.

booivi

Good Game :)
You cannot jump out of the super in the corner... I just tested against deathstroke. Although some chars. With fast jumps might be able to escape, maybe.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I think green arrows best and only real viable 50/50 mixup is f2d1 low arrow and f2d13. Most stuff outside of that really relies on player ignorance to the character. I honestly think that f3 overhead is way to slow to work against people who aren't ignorant to the setup. On the other hand it leaves you at +6 but why not just take advantage of the huge advantage you just got from the standing arrow?

Ending with standing arrow is great in the corner but I don't think f3 is a viable followup if you're trying to make it hit like an overhead. Following up with a string into a guaranteed super is a great option as long as it's not push blocked. I think the best option is to go into f2d1 pressure with arrows or b13 so you can safely stock an arrow of choice, you'll still have them in the corner at least and you'll have an arrow stocked and ready to go. Also if you're landing a raw combo in the corner with an ice arrow stocked I think your best bet is ending with the ice arrow, load another ice arrow and go into f2d1 mixup. You're not going to be able to loop that after the 2nd arrow but I think it works great. Some people say it sacrifices too much damage but honestly I don't think it does regardless of if it's mid screen or in the corner.

Scoot Magee

Also I mentioned this before in less detail. In the corner, if I start the combo the same way as in the video, I can j2 f2d13 delayed 111 up arrows and d1 ice arrow. It does 33% and leaves you with the option of dealing more damage or load another ice arrow and go into f2d1 mixup which can lead to at least another 30 something %.

Mid screen a raw b3 (with an ice arrow stocked) can lead to 23 - 33% into a freeze where you can load an arrow and 50/50 again. You get 23% off a basic b3, j3 22 freeze, 26% from b3 dash in up arrow, up arrow, 22 freeze. You can get around 33% if you mix in interact combos with background wall bounce and ect. They all lead to a free 50/50 with the ice arrow to tack on another 22% from his raw freeze bnb (more if background bounce is there). What is the max damage people get off a raw back 3 meterless? For me going for the mixup only sacrifices like 8%. We all know GA isn't a damage character from mid screen without super.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Scoot Magee

all that is great...but where is the swag?

no but for real. The f3 mixup is great with all of his other mixups. I use this in games often and I find it a viable strategy. I've been using it for 2 weeks before I even posted it. If it didn't work consistently I wouldnt post it.

Its not a matter of viability. It is viable... as well as sexy, awesome, damaging, and a great setup. Its more of a matter of preference.

Scoot Magee

Scoot Magee

all that is great...but where is the swag?

no but for real. The f3 mixup is great with all of his other mixups. I use this in games often and I find it a viable strategy. I've been using it for 2 weeks before I even posted it. If it didn't work consistently I wouldnt post it.

Its not a matter of viability. It is viable... as well as sexy, awesome, damaging, and a great setup. Its more of a matter of preference.
I'm all for the flow of information on the GA forums. I'll try it out and hopefully deal with it myself instead of theory fighting and see how it works out.