What's new

An Open Letter on the Current Direction of MK11's Single-Player Content (LONG POST)

Lun

proud TERF!
Wait till you see some of the modifiers hahaha

Hail stones that freeze me if they touch me three times.
Except when I get frozen and uppercutted by the AI, my body is horizontal, 3 of them fall at the same time and freeze me again in mid air on my way down. A lot of these hazards are unblockable as well.
And they work in addition to the "assist" characters the bots get.

Let me block the damn hazards atleast dammit.

But yea, for any even remotely casual player or new player, this is straight up "buy skip fight tokens" bait.

The real issue here is that I am neither a new player nor a casual player.

Those towers are literally unbeatable!

Chints

Noob
Hey just an update because I was the one who described the sockets/augments.
There are 3 slots in gear, but you can only even unlock 2. I assumed the third is another socket, there to give you a better chance of getting the 2 you want on a reroll, since you can only equip 2 augments on a gear piece.

But no, gear stops levelling after level 2. In the kustomize menu, the third socket says 'Koming Soon'. Maybe special sockets that change effects of abilities for characters like injustice legendary gear? Who knows.
Oh I see, thanks for that. I hadn't gone into the augment menu much cause I wasn't getting any that seemed useable with the gear I was using.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
Maybe it's because of how you word it? You're overly aggressive and come off the wrong way.

If they're inexperienced, reach out to those who aren't for advice. I don't believe this is necessarily inexperience. This is a means to try and get people to spend money in some way. It's like it's overly complicated and has too many layers just for the sake of it. Maybe backlash will get them to change it.
Didn’t insult anyone. If I find something shitty I say it’s shitty but I say that it’s only in my opinion. The only two things I found really bad were the story and one specific character you all know

RM8

:D
Do you want NRS to take the story mode out of the game too? I mean, after all, it's a fighting game. There's no need for anything other than pure fighting game 1v1 mechanics, right?

Pretty much every genre on the planet has been dipping into RPG territory since the early 2000s, this is neither new nor remarkable, unless you play literally nothing but fighting games. In which case welcome to gaming in the 2000's, everything is an RPG now, and the vast majority of games are better for it.
Story mode existing doesn't affect the experience for those who don't care about it (and actually, I happen to not care about it, lol). You know what? I didn't even finish it in MK9 and MKX and I didn't miss out on anything. In this game? I might never be able to unlock skins I want. This is a massive downgrade from MKX.

Prateek Shekhar

LeggoMyEggo
The real issue here is that I am neither a new player nor a casual player.

Those towers are literally unbeatable!
I agree. I updated my thread with a text and video review, and half of my video review (15 minutes!) is about one fight. Baraka with Kung Jin and Takeda assists. I figured out that during the FINISH HIM prompt, the CPU loses the assists, so if they mercy you, you can make a comeback and that's the only real way of winning these battles.

I didn't want to create a new thread for it, but it's here if you wanna read/watch it.
https://testyourmight.com/threads/i-detail-the-towers-of-time-augments-and-the-single-player-grind-update-text-video-review.69102/page-6#post-2486445

E

Eldriken

Didn’t insult anyone. If I find something shitty I say it’s shitty but I say that it’s only in my opinion. The only two things I found really bad were the story and one specific character you all know
I know. I've never seen you insult anyone. It's just how you state your opinion. I mean, there's nothing wrong with how you express it because that's all you're doing. It's just some people don't know how to react to it properly.

E

Eldriken

Except they are so scummy about it that I will NOT buy them. They should have been honest about it.
Which is the best thing you or anyone can do: vote with your wallet. :)

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
If they're inexperienced, reach out to those who aren't for advice.
This is generally good advice, but no one has ever (to my knowledge) done a fighting game where the single player towers/ladder/whatever has objectives that you can complete to unlock content. So if they're wondering "how do you add quests to a fighting game without intruding on the core gameplay to a degree that's too high," I'm not sure who exactly they could reach out to, and what they would say.

The other thing though, even if they did have someone to ask, there's a good chance they still wouldn't. Have you been keeping up with Anthem? It's a really fun shitshow to follow. If you haven't, suffice to say, BioWare Austin tried to give BioWare Edmonton advice on how not to fuck up a multiplayer RPG, and Edmonton straight up wouldn't listen because they thought they knew better. People can be petty and prideful that way.

This is not a justification for MK11 to be a bad gameplay experience, just explaining how any of these decisions might not have resulted from a place of "let's fuck over players as hard as we can get away with."

I don't believe this is necessarily inexperience. This is a means to try and get people to spend money in some way. It's like it's overly complicated and has too many layers just for the sake of it. Maybe backlash will get them to change it.
It is certainly an attempt to tempt people into spending money. Which is true of any aspect of a game or DLC, if you take a broad view of things. And we're OK with that as long as it's done competently and not exploitatively. Here's where the inexperience comes in. When you're tempting people into spending money incompetently, and in a way that seems transparently exploitative, then that's obviously not going to go over well.

E

Eldriken

O

Oh, okay
Cetrion suck thoughView attachment 14097
That face...lmaoooo

This is generally good advice, but no one has ever (to my knowledge) done a fighting game where the single player towers/ladder/whatever has objectives that you can complete to unlock content. So if they're wondering "how do you add quests to a fighting game without intruding on the core gameplay to a degree that's too high," I'm not sure who exactly they could reach out to, and what they would say.

The other thing though, even if they did have someone to ask, there's a good chance they still wouldn't. Have you been keeping up with Anthem? It's a really fun shitshow to follow. If you haven't, suffice to say, BioWare Austin tried to give BioWare Edmonton advice on how not to fuck up a multiplayer RPG, and Edmonton straight up wouldn't listen because they thought they knew better. People can be petty and prideful that way.

It is certainly an attempt to tempt people into spending money. Which is true of any aspect of a game or DLC, if you take a broad view of things. And we're OK with that as long as it's done competently and not exploitatively. Here's where the inexperience comes in. When you're tempting people into spending money incompetently, and in a way that seems transparently exploitative, then that's obviously not going to go over well.
I don't think anyone has done what NRS is trying to do with towers in a fighting game either. But that's precisely why they should have put more thought into it. Y'know, kinda like, "Alright, fellas. Got a new idea I wanna throw your way, so here it is." lays it out "Now, how do we not fuck this up for us or the players? We've never done this before, nor has anyone else. Let's not look like assholes."

It seems like that never took place. But I can't go off more than what I've read, so I could be wrong. It's just that there's seemingly too much going on just to acquire cosmetics and the like.

RM8

:D
Which is the best thing you or anyone can do: vote with your wallet. :)
In the case of microtransactions, it's a tiny minority of players (devs even call them "whales") who spend copious amounts of money despite most players not doing it. So basically, your monetization system doesn't need to be well liked at all to be very profitable.

E

Eldriken

In the case of microtransactions, it's a tiny minority of players (devs even call them "whales") who spend copious amounts of money despite most players not doing it. So basically, your monetization system doesn't need to be well liked at all to be very profitable.
You've got a point. Oh, well. I'll do me and they'll do them. As long as NRS stays around and makes more games (and leaves out crummy tactics), I'm all for it. =P

D

Deleted member 35141

Are some of you really saying well mmo and RPGs do it so its ok lol.
This site just goes in circles, telling me to get the full package of the game I need to spend more money when every other damn mk game let's you enjoy all content without spending a extra dime.

Some of you here act like your talking to the casual audience who might play 4 hrs a week it's so irritating.
Injustice 2 for example I have every character maxed with gold gear even selling a shit ton of dupes so I grinded quite a bit I would say.
Here's the difference of what I've heard in injustice when you get a diamond your guaranteed to get really good gear or even like 6 items, in the kyprt open a gold box and get a concept is high probability.

Imagine playing Diablo 3 and beating a boss and it gives you a skip next boss token. Good RPGs give you a slow drip of GOOD gear and items bad RPGs do what anthem did, if you do t know how anthem turned out just type it in.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
Maybe you should try writing your opinion in a way that doesn't make the game sound a lot worse than it actually is?

At the end of the day, it's just cosmetics.
Does it? I love MK11 from the botyom of my heart regardless of how shitty its writing is. If my opinion makes someone less hyped, that’s their problem. I know I’m playing it until the next MK.

Kratilim

Noob
Maybe you should try writing your opinion in a way that doesn't make the game sound a lot worse than it actually is?

At the end of the day, it's just cosmetics.
Aren't brutalities unlocked the same way? Cosmetics I can handle, but stuff like fatalities and brutalities is different. I'd like them to at least feel like they're within reach.

D

Deleted member 35141

Ranting aside im gonna play the game alot especially MP and the story. I am pretty disappointed in the tower cause I hate those modifier towers. Are there regular tower we can grind to get gear?

Chints

Noob
Ranting aside im gonna play the game alot especially MP and the story. I am pretty disappointed in the tower cause I hate those modifier towers. Are there regular tower we can grind to get gear?
I can't attest to how much, but a chunk of it is in the krypt. So, just using basic koins will get you fatalities, brutalities and costumes.

MioTenacious

"There is fear in your heart"
Yeah i see your point, it sucks to get items and cosmetics for your character by luck, i never liked that and it happens to the latest multiplayer games often. I need to play the game and see what happens to reply to this but yeah you seem like you are right

SUPAHJD

Horror Guest Shill
Do you want NRS to take the story mode out of the game too? I mean, after all, it's a fighting game. There's no need for anything other than pure fighting game 1v1 mechanics, right?

Pretty much every genre on the planet has been dipping into RPG territory since the early 2000s, this is neither new nor remarkable, unless you play literally nothing but fighting games. In which case welcome to gaming in the 2000's, everything is an RPG now, and the vast majority of games are better for it.
And once again? Nah man, I think you're heavily tripping.

Games are doing this RPG shit and usually it's in a very tedious manner because here's a fun fact: some people find RPG's TO be tedious. You're looking at one of them. That's right, I'd rather actually have fun and play a game rather than do some tedious grind to unlock "Woah! A good armor!" so, at least in RPG fashion, ab better one with a new tedious way of getting it gets added in, and all I do is grind for the shit instead of enjoy myself. If that's your thing, COOL. I'm fine with it. Keep it out of shit like this. It. Doesn't. Belong.

And maybe it's because I'm tripping but I feel like once again, MKX at least had it in a better way than this did. I think the proper thing is a more simplistic, search a bigger Krypt for a cosmetic or something of that sort. Sure, have your unlockable goals. You know, maybe win __ fights with a character, you can earn something. Maybe win this tower on __ difficulty, you unlock something. I'm all about unlockables.

This is definition of a shady ass mechanic. It's very eye brow raising.

As for the your comment earlier on "should fighting games not have story?" Honestly, going off NRS definition of what makes a good story, maybe they'd be better off too, yeah.