What's new

An Open Letter on the Current Direction of MK11's Single-Player Content (LONG POST)

Foreword: Yes, this is super long. But it's as long as it needs to be. Thanks for understanding. TL;DR version at bottom.

This post contains thoughts and perspectives on single-player content that I’ve been harboring for a while, but that I was recently inspired to draft into a letter after Derek Kirtzic (who I understand is responsible for a lot of MK11’s single-player content) said in a recent interview that the NRS team really does pay attention to what the fans and players say online and in forums like this one. This post is a bit long, but I’ve tried to keep it organized and to the point so more people can and will read it. So here goes.

I’m a diehard mark for NRS games. Have been since about 1992, though I was too young to remember the exact date. I’m also a lover of both single-player and multi-player content. I played at least several dozen hours of Injustice 2’s single-player content in addition to playing it online for over a year. I’ve even partially kept up with MK Mobile since its release, particularly when there hasn’t been an active scene to satisfy my MK content craving. I really do eat this stuff up. But I’m sad to say that the current direction of MK’s content design, specifically the exponential loot grind, is damaging both my enthusiasm for the game and my faith in the studio’s design philosophy.

Now I’m by no means the first person to complain that MK11 is looking too grind-y, but here’s where my critique’s going to take a slightly different approach. I’m not going to say grinding isn’t fun. I’m also not going to say it is fun. That’s really a player preference, and I fall somewhere in the middle. Same with the other popular debates, such as whether grind-y content belongs in a fighting game at all, whether players should have to pay for cosmetics or disc-locked content, the issue of loot boxes in generall, etc. All up to the individual player, in my view.

My critique is with the philosophy around which MK11’s single-player content has been designed. It’s glaringly obvious that the unlockable content package was designed to extend the game’s lifespan and replayability, as well as its general appeal to players who may be less interested in the competitive scene. And you know what? I think that’s great. Who doesn’t want MK11 to have a longer lifespan, feel more replayable, draw a larger player base, make more money, etc.? But it seems obvious to me that the strategy for achieving these valuable goals is based in a problematic design orientation, and I believe it is this orientation that underpins so many of the criticisms about MK11’s apparently enormous grind.

To put it simply, the development strategy seems to have been to create a framework for the game (i.e., what the single-player content will look like), and then decide on (or perhaps receive from higher executive offices) the performance targets for the game, such as how many hours the average player should play over the game’s lifespan, how often the average player should turn on the game, statistical projections of how much grind it will take to push the average player to spend additional real money on the game per interval of play time, and just generally how much time and money the game should earn from the player base. The existing framework then gets padded out with time sinks until the targets are most likely to be achieved.

Now whether it extends the game’s life or not, this is a strategy most players are unlikely to find palatable, so it will never actually be talked about in these terms. But you can see the truth of it underlying the complaints and concerns being expressed. To put it bluntly, players are objecting to things that are simply and somewhat objectively not fun. Repetitive and stressful tasks with ambiguous payoff, item RNG, item duplication, meaningless titles and icons, gear and slot configuration, leveling something up only to have it reset an arbitrary numerical counter and start again (i.e., nested leveling)… none of that is really fun. Certainly not after the first couple of repetitions. It never generates fun because it is not meant to. It is meant to generate participation and (on average, over time) dollars as people pay to reduce their participation. It is literally a model built on frustrating players slowly enough that they don’t quit, but quickly enough that they’ll pay money to spend less time playing your game. And if they don’t spend that money, then at least they’re still indirectly increasing revenue by propping up the player base with how long it takes them to get the play experience they actually want. And that’s unsavory business strategy, to say the least.

But my real gripe is that it doesn’t have to be like that for Mortal Kombat. We players love MK. It’s a beloved, world-renowned franchise, and this is a much-anticipated entry into its canon. We want to play this game, and we want to want to play it. And if a game is genuinely fun and beloved and deep and rich and well-constructed, players will play it no matter what. How many times have you played out all the content on a game you love, only to go replay it because you just haven’t had enough yet? And when you’ve replayed it as much as you can stand, how many times have you gone back and crafted artificial scenarios, or restrictions, or goals, or other elements for yourself just so you can spend more time with the game you love? Or gone and chosen to spend actual money to purchase something you don’t necessarily need to play the game, but that will extend your time and enjoyment in that world you love by just a little bit longer? I know I’ve spent thousands of hours of my life (and thousands of my dollars) doing just such things.

And that’s what I wish I saw more of in the modern generation of Mortal Kombat: a design philosophy that says “we are confident that we can build both single- and multi-player content that is so much goddamn fun that our players WILL stick with our game for months and years to come, and WILL invest their time and money into it in a way that meets our financial targets, WITHOUT the game being based around carrot-and-stick motivations.”

And that doesn’t even mean carrot-and-stick mechanics can’t be included in the game at all but, when they are the foundation, then the only reliable way to prop up the game becomes making the stick longer and longer and putting more and more cheap-to-produce quasi-carrots in between the player and the carrot they’re actually after. It’s precisely that design philosophy that implicitly asks me as the player to swallow the idea that it’s somehow “fun” to open fifty or a hundred chests containing meaningless pseudo-currency on the way to wagering for a CHANCE to make my favorite character look how I actually want them to look. That’s not fun. It’s gambling. It’s the design philosophy behind slot machines, which operate not on enjoyment but on human beings’ addictive tendencies. It’s never been fun, and it will never be fun, so please stop asking me to entertain the idea that THIS time it might be fun.

And the alternative is so much better! Have confidence in the franchise that so many millions of players have said they have confidence in for over two decades! Build something amazing into this powerful franchise you control, that so many of us would kill to have a hand in! Earn our investment of our hearts and hours and dollars, instead of making us earn the game we already adore. We’ll both be better off in the former exchange than the latter. I promise.

TL;DR: Mortal Kombat does not need to force players into the RNG-based bait-and-switch loot grind so many other games have resorted to in pursuit of performance targets, and doing so devalues the franchise and sours its relationship with its fanbase. Mortal Kombat is one of the most beloved properties in gaming history, and MK11 itself is a game with top-quality performance potential. Rather than engaging in the carrot-and-stick grind of RNG-padded content that is so popular in other franchises today, NRS would do better by both its investors and its fans by taking a bottom-up strategy of generating player investment via quality gameplay and satisfying content experiences, letting franchise reputation, game quality, and fan loyalty do the real work.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
To be honest, I never understood the point of levelling up in Injustice 2. Your opponents are always on your level, so no matter how much you train and get better gear, they always feel as your near-equals.

Which is ironically the reason I love the battle towers in the (hated by the hardcore fighting fans) MKX mobile version. Once you beat a tower, you can always revisit it and have fun by KOing your opponents with one punch, making you feel like fucking Goku after training for the 21st Martial Arts Tournament. It really gives you a sense that your character has come a long way since you started training him, and it sucks that I can't do the same in Injustice 2.

I really wish MK11 had towers like that.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
TL;DR: Mortal Kombat does not need to force players into the RNG-based bait-and-switch loot grind so many other games have resorted to in pursuit of performance targets, and doing so devalues the franchise and sours its relationship with its fanbase. Mortal Kombat is one of the most beloved properties in gaming history, and MK11 itself is a game with top-quality performance potential. Rather than engaging in the carrot-and-stick grind of RNG-padded content that is so popular in other franchises today, NRS would do better by both its investors and its fans by taking a bottom-up strategy of generating player investment via quality gameplay and satisfying content experiences, letting franchise reputation, game quality, and fan loyalty do the real work.
This is clearly WB bullshit. I don't blame NRS for this - they're just following orders.

The only silver lining in this whole bruhaha is the fact that everything in the krypt is cosmetic only. Gear, Skins, Intros and Outros are not impacting gameplay, and the fatalities can probably be unlocked when you perform them like in the previous games (can someone verify if this is still the case?).

So in the end, it sucks, but at least it doesn't impact the gameplay.

Last edited:

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
To put it simply, the development strategy seems to have been to create a framework for the game (i.e., what the single-player content will look like), and then decide on (or perhaps receive from higher executive offices) the performance targets for the game, such as how many hours the average player should play over the game’s lifespan, how often the average player should turn on the game, statistical projections of how much grind it will take to push the average player to spend additional real money on the game per interval of play time, and just generally how much time and money the game should earn from the player base. The existing framework then gets padded out with time sinks until the targets are most likely to be achieved.
I think it's a little bit naive to suppose that there are AAA games being developed today that don't regularly ask all of these questions during development. What answer they come up with will be different from game to game, but the question is certainly on every developer's mind.

To put it bluntly, players are objecting to things that are simply and somewhat objectively not fun. Repetitive and stressful tasks with ambiguous payoff, item RNG, item duplication, meaningless titles and icons, gear and slot configuration, leveling something up only to have it reset an arbitrary numerical counter and start again (i.e., nested leveling)… none of that is really fun.
Repetitive and stressful tasks with ambiguous payoff aren't fun? Then why did people play towers in MKX and MK11? Why do people play MMORPGs? Why do people play Destiny and Diablo? All of these games feature "repetitive and stressful tasks with ambiguous payoff."

The vast majority of RPGs also feature "item RNG." I've never heard a single Diablo 3 player say "You know this game would be a lot better if I always knew with 100% certainty exactly what item I would get." Uncertainty can be a strong and fun incentive in keeping a player motivated.

"Meaningless titles and icons, gear and slot configuration" -- perfect comparison to Overwatch, which has sprays and voicelines up the wazoo. And for a lot of people, sprays and voice lines are nothing but lootbox padding. Other people legitimately enjoy unlocking both. And the vast majority just don't care, because they understand (at least on an instinctive level) that there isn't really any padding going on. If sprays, voicelines, and MK11's icons didn't exist, you wouldn't get more stuff. You'd get the same amount of other stuff you currently do. Just without the sprays, voicelines, and icons on top of that. NRS isn't taking awesome stuff out of your "lootboxes" and putting in icons and konsumables. You were never going to get more awesome stuff than you did.

In short, I think you're doing what you originally said you wouldn't do, and saying grinding is inherently and objectively un-fun. And that's just not true. How fun the grind is depends on how fun the gameplay is. And that will depend on how fun MK11 is to play.

If sprays, voicelines, and MK11's icons didn't exist, you wouldn't get more stuff. You'd get the same amount of other stuff you currently do. Just without the sprays, voicelines, and icons on top of that. NRS isn't taking awesome stuff out of your "lootboxes" and putting in icons and konsumables. You were never going to get more awesome stuff than you did.
And I am proposing that the fact that we "wouldn't get more stuff" is a direct result of the design philosophy I'm critiquing. Change that philosophy, and what we "would get" would likely change as well.

In short, I think you're doing what you originally said you wouldn't do, and saying grinding is inherently and objectively un-fun. And that's just not true. How fun the grind is depends on how fun the gameplay is. And that will depend on how fun MK11 is to play.
I understand why you might see it that way, but I disagree. The problem isn't the grind, the problem is the padding, which is achieved primarily (though not exclusively) through the implementation of carefully manipulated RNG designed to deliberately reduce the fun of the play experience in subtle ways. There isn't even a way to circumvent this RNG padding, which only emphasizes how deliberate a strategy it is.

pure.Wasted

And I am proposing that the fact that we "wouldn't get more stuff" is a direct result of the design philosophy I'm critiquing. Change that philosophy, and what we "would get" would likely change as well.
Yes, and Diablo 3 could give you a full set of ancient legendary armor when you first create your character, but they don't. Why? Because if they did then you would have no reason to play the game.

Killing monsters is pointless unless you're trying to work your way up to having the armor you want. Doing MK towers is pointless unless you're trying to work your way up to having the skins/equips you want. They're directly comparable. And Diablo 3 (and Diablo 2 and 1 before it) were enjoyed by millions, as are many other loot-based RPGs and MMOs. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with this gameplay model.

No one's forcing you to play towers if you don't want to. Go play casual matches or ranked 1v1. You can get 100% of the MK gameplay experience without ever setting foot in the towers. The towers are strictly there for cosmetics.

Chints

Noob
I didn't really mind the grind in IJ2, really.

For me it was along the lines of an MMO where you get a piece of gear, and you're not entirely sure it'll be useful/look good but I go for it anyway.
One thing that has changed, atleast in the single player experience for me is what kind of a grind I'm on.

There's a tower you can unlock for character specific gear using koins. I shit you not, to get to the third tower in the set you have to finish the first two towers and - uppercut 50 times with (in this case) Jacqui. Fucking, really.

Worst uppercut in the game thus far, and now I've got to do it 50 times just so I can unlock a costume later down the line? Fine.

4th tower? Cool, now go do 50 throws before you can do this tower.

It's not difficult to do these things, just go spam d2 for a few minutes. But it's artificially padding out the length of the tower and that's something I despise.

The next set of towers, before I can access them, now require me to do 75 fatalities and 75 brutalities with Jacqui. Teeeeeedious.

Yes, and Diablo 3 could give you a full set of ancient legendary armor when you first create your character, but they don't. Why? Because if they did then you would have no reason to play the game.

Killing monsters is pointless unless you're trying to work your way up to having the armor you want. Doing MK towers is pointless unless you're trying to work your way up to having the skins/equips you want. They're directly comparable. And Diablo 3 (and Diablo 2 and 1 before it) were enjoyed by millions, as are many other loot-based RPGs and MMOs. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with this gameplay model.

No one's forcing you to play towers if you don't want to. Go play casual matches or ranked 1v1. You can get 100% of the MK gameplay experience without ever setting foot in the towers. The towers are strictly there for cosmetics.
So just to be clear, you're endorsing the addition of RNG-based grind that is modulated to, on average, give players access to content just after they've become annoyed enough to pay money to reduce the amount of time they have to keep playing? Or let me be even more specific, using the post just above this one: you endorse padding out the content by requiring players to press the same two buttons (down + 2) on their controllers a certain number of times to access a new piece of content? By your own admission, it "depends on the fun of the grind." Does "uppercut 50 times" count as fun grind?

pure.Wasted

I didn't really mind the grind in IJ2, really.

For me it was along the lines of an MMO where you get a piece of gear, and you're not entirely sure it'll be useful/look good but I go for it anyway.
One thing that has changed, atleast in the single player experience for me is what kind of a grind I'm on.

There's a tower you can unlock for character specific gear using koins. I shit you not, to get to the third tower in the set you have to finish the first two towers and - uppercut 50 times with (in this case) Jacqui. Fucking, really.

Worst uppercut in the game thus far, and now I've got to do it 50 times just so I can unlock a costume later down the line? Fine.

4th tower? Cool, now go do 50 throws before you can do this tower.

It's not difficult to do these things, just go spam d2 for a few minutes. But it's artificially padding out the length of the tower and that's something I despise.

The next set of towers, before I can access them, now require me to do 75 fatalities and 75 brutalities with Jacqui. Teeeeeedious.
Hmm. That sounds like it could get really annoying, because it's actually getting in the way of the way you want to be playing the game (e.g. perfecting your combos).

Like, I'd rather play 3 matches and land 3 uppercuts per match, than play one match but land 20 uppercuts. The first one is a neat challenge/deviation added to your regular gameplay, the second is completely warping the core gameplay to the point where you're not really playing MK anymore.

@ogrimtitan

Hmm. That sounds like it could get really annoying, because it's actually getting in the way of the way you want to be playing the game (e.g. perfecting your combos).

Like, I'd rather play 3 matches and land 3 uppercuts per match, than play one match but land 20 uppercuts. The first one is a neat challenge/deviation added to your regular gameplay, the second is completely warping the core gameplay to the point where you're not really playing MK anymore.

@ogrimtitan
I agree (mostly) with your assessment of what @Mousechint said. I think this is one place where games like Overwatch do it better. They put in rewards (which, don't get me wrong, I would prefer were not RNG, but that's not the point) that you earn by playing the already very intricate and nuanced game they created. And if you do better in terms of win rate and personal contribution, you climb to your rewards faster. What NRS has put in MK11 is the equivalent of Blizzard setting a loot box requirement such as "As Soldier 76, shoot 200 framed portraits with bullets, then shoot 250 plants with helix rockets, then place 500 healing stations on stone surfaces. If you do this within a specific 5-day time frame, you'll win access to a chance at a new epic skin. But if you don't finish all requirements in the allotted window, it will reset and you get nothing." That's just manipulative content padding, and I don't think it can be argued that anything like that would be implemented with the intention of helping the player have more fun. It's clearly guided by a much more unsavory design philosophy.

The vast majority of RPGs also feature "item RNG." I've never heard a single Diablo 3 player say "You know this game would be a lot better if I always knew with 100% certainty exactly what item I would get." Uncertainty can be a strong and fun incentive in keeping a player motivated.
The thing is, you get a lot of interesting loot for your character in Diablo all the time, in MK11 most of the loot seems to be completely random between many characters, and there's too much random unfair effects and conditions in towers that will make your experience even worse.

Chints

Noob
"As Soldier 76, shoot 200 framed portraits with bullets, then shoot 250 plants with helix rockets, then place 500 healing stations on stone surfaces. If you do this within a specific 5-day time frame, you'll win access to a chance at a new epic skin. But if you don't finish all requirements in the allotted window, it will reset and you get nothing."
Not that I'm trying to defend NRS or anything, but for posterity sake, these character towers are not timed and the specific costume you get at the end of it is guaranteed and you're told what you're gonna get. But that's only after finishing out all the 4/5 towers. The tower loot itself is random. Partially based on how well you perform and partially just "hey here you go a random augment".

Also, what I find stupid about the augment system: you mentioned the nested levelling. Which is dumb enough as is. Get new gear that looks cooler and now I cant use any augments on my old gear cause the new gear isn't levelled? Fine, I'll do a few fights and level them up.

Oh but wait, you had 3 specific augments on all 3 pieces of gear with 3 specific sockets for said augments? Cool, but your new gear doesn't have THOSE EXACT SPECIFIC SOCKETS, so now go use our reroll feature to roll those 3 exact sockets before you can use the new gear you just levelled to use your old augments.
Fuck. That.

This process, if you're using augments, has to be repeated every time if you want to use a different piece of gear.

Blizer

Cheap Kollector Rip Off
Not that I'm trying to defend NRS or anything, but for posterity sake, these character towers are not timed and the specific costume you get at the end of it is guaranteed and you're told what you're gonna get. But that's only after finishing out all the 4/5 towers. The tower loot itself is random. Partially based on how well you perform and partially just "hey here you go a random augment".

Also, what I find stupid about the augment system: you mentioned the nested levelling. Which is dumb enough as is. Get new gear that looks cooler and now I cant use any augments on my old gear cause the new gear isn't levelled? Fine, I'll do a few fights and level them up.

Oh but wait, you had 3 specific augments on all 3 pieces of gear with 3 specific sockets for said augments? Cool, but your new gear doesn't have THOSE EXACT SPECIFIC SOCKETS, so now go use our reroll feature to roll those 3 exact sockets before you can use the new gear you just levelled to use your old augments.
Fuck. That.

This process, if you're using augments, has to be repeated every time if you want to use a different piece of gear.
Wait

What the actual fuck

this is looking worse and worse tbh.

pure.Wasted

That's just manipulative content padding, and I don't think it can be argued that anything like that would be implemented with the intention of helping the player have more fun. It's clearly guided by a much more unsavory design philosophy.
I'm not going to assume malicious intent just yet. It's entirely possible that their inexperience with these kind of mechanics made them decide on a... less than ideal implementation. We'll have to wait and see just how bad it is in-game, and if it's catastrophic, how they choose to address that. That will be telling.

I don't mind grinding the game. I do mind grinding the game in a way that feels unnatural and doesn't let me practice my skills for other game modes. So to complete your Overwatch comparison, yes I grind weekly arcade lootboxes, but the practice I get playing Mystery Heroes or Deathmatch translates directly to my ability to play those heroes in competitive. My goal in Mystery/DM is different, but the game is fundamentally the same game. If I was forced to play Total Mayhem to do my weekly lootboxes, I probably wouldn't do any weekly lootboxes, because it changes the game so much that I don't find it enjoyable.

I'm not going to assume malicious intent just yet. It's entirely possible that their inexperience with these kind of mechanics made them decide on a... less than ideal implementation. We'll have to wait and see just how bad it is in-game, and if it's catastrophic, how they choose to address that. That will be telling.

I don't mind grinding the game. I do mind grinding the game in a way that feels unnatural and doesn't let me practice my skills for other game modes. So to complete your Overwatch comparison, yes I grind weekly arcade lootboxes, but the practice I get playing Mystery Heroes or Deathmatch translates directly to my ability to play those heroes in competitive. My goal in Mystery/DM is different, but the game is fundamentally the same game. If I was forced to play Total Mayhem to do my weekly lootboxes, I probably wouldn't do any weekly lootboxes, because it changes the game so much that I don't find it enjoyable.
Yes, that's one of the main problems with MK11 in my opinion. They want you to play the game in a certain unnatural way all the time. Ridiculous conditions to unlock towers, random effects like bombs falling from the sky during matches, etc.

Radam

Noob
I've treated every Krypt that's been in an MK game as RNG. I had no idea what would be in each coffin etc and I just kept playing the game and rolling the dice until I unlocked everything. With the amount I'll play online and offline, I'll be surprised if I feel the grind at all. I'll just enjoy playing the game competitively and eventually unlocking things will just be icing on the cake.

Lun

proud TERF!
You all missing the point.

It's not even just the grind.

It's that the towers of time are clearly not meant to be completed without using "skip this battle" koins. This is the worst scummy mobile game practice. You reached the final boss, you almost got that gear you wanted..... but the final boss is unbeatable.

RM8

:D

Can you stop pretending Mortal Kombat is a loot based hack and slash? It's not, it's a fighting game. NRS trying to make it loot based (which is honestly an euphemism for "money hungry") is understandably upsetting people who played, say, any of the games from MK1 to MKX. I agree with you, it's all cosmetic, but it turns out I have a ton of awesome skins in MKX that I didn't have to unfairly grind for.

Good lord, and I was planning to double dip - imagine trying to get the skins I want twice in this mobile-tier game.

Prateek Shekhar

LeggoMyEggo

Fuck. That.

Hey just an update because I was the one who described the sockets/augments.
There are 3 slots in gear, but you can only even unlock 2. I assumed the third is another socket, there to give you a better chance of getting the 2 you want on a reroll, since you can only equip 2 augments on a gear piece.

But no, gear stops levelling after level 2. In the kustomize menu, the third socket says 'Koming Soon'. Maybe special sockets that change effects of abilities for characters like injustice legendary gear? Who knows.

E

Eldriken

Not even writing anything. Whenever I post my opinion I get shit.
Maybe it's because of how you word it? You're overly aggressive and come off the wrong way.

If they're inexperienced, reach out to those who aren't for advice. I don't believe this is necessarily inexperience. This is a means to try and get people to spend money in some way. It's like it's overly complicated and has too many layers just for the sake of it. Maybe backlash will get them to change it.

pure.Wasted

Can you stop pretending Mortal Kombat is a loot based hack and slash? It's not, it's a fighting game.
Do you want NRS to take the story mode out of the game too? I mean, after all, it's a fighting game. There's no need for anything other than pure fighting game 1v1 mechanics, right?

Pretty much every genre on the planet has been dipping into RPG territory since the early 2000s, this is neither new nor remarkable, unless you play literally nothing but fighting games. In which case welcome to gaming in the 2000's, everything is an RPG now, and the vast majority of games are better for it.

Chints

Noob
You all missing the point.

It's not even just the grind.

It's that the towers of time are clearly not meant to be completed without using "skip this battle" koins. This is the worst scummy mobile game practice. You reached the final boss, you almost got that gear you wanted..... but the final boss is unbeatable.
Wait till you see some of the modifiers hahaha

Hail stones that freeze me if they touch me three times.
Except when I get frozen and uppercutted by the AI, my body is horizontal, 3 of them fall at the same time and freeze me again in mid air on my way down. A lot of these hazards are unblockable as well.
And they work in addition to the "assist" characters the bots get.

Let me block the damn hazards atleast dammit.

But yea, for any even remotely casual player or new player, this is straight up "buy skip fight tokens" bait.